Lamy Studio Nib Suddenly Won't Post Or Stay On

FeuBleu

I have a sudden issue with my Lamy Studio (brushed steel). The cap has stopped posting onto the barrel - it gets most of the way on, but will not click on firmly, as though something is stopping it. Simultaneously it has stopped clicking into place when I cap the pen. The cap goes all the way on, but does not click; it just sits there loosely and readily slides off if I invert the pen.

I have attached images of the pen and of the nib area uncapped. All I can imagine is that some ring perhaps that should be on the nib part has become jammed within the cap part. If that ring usually enables to cap to click into place and stay on it is no longer there doing the job, and is also preventing the cap from posting as usual.

Well that is my hypothesis.. however I can't tell if anything has changed or what may have been lost from the pen into the cap! I hope that you expert folk could perhaps offer an explanation and solution for me, or at least compare my images with your own Studio pens!

post-124533-0-34650100-1439853892_thumb.pngpost-124533-0-43480300-1439853940_thumb.pngpost-124533-0-00916900-1439853971_thumb.png

Edited by FeuBleu

Conid R DCB DB FT Ti & Montblanc 146 stub nib | Lamy 2000; Vista | Montblanc 90th Anni Legrand | Pelikan M800 Burnt Orange; M805 Stresemann | Pilot Prera; VP Guilloche | Visconti Fiorenza Lava LE; Homo Sapiens Bronze

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FeuBleu

• PAKMAN

• SujiCorp12345

• OCArt

post-124533-0-44540500-1439854023_thumb.pngpost-124533-0-08725600-1439854086_thumb.pngpost-124533-0-04082200-1439854110_thumb.png

Conid R DCB DB FT Ti & Montblanc 146 stub nib | Lamy 2000; Vista | Montblanc 90th Anni Legrand | Pelikan M800 Burnt Orange; M805 Stresemann | Pilot Prera; VP Guilloche | Visconti Fiorenza Lava LE; Homo Sapiens Bronze

Sorry to hear of your trouble. My studio does have a silver-colored trim ring directly above the nib--- so that could be the problem. Can you extract it with tweezers?

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Ah, that could be it! That might be what I can see inside the nib there, there's definitely something silver with a thread on it and I was wondering what that other thread on the black part of the nib was for. Thanks so much! I'll see if I can dig it out.

That was it! Alright people, emergency over, as you were. :D

post-124533-0-01772300-1439857955_thumb.png

That trim must have unscrewed at some point whilst the pen was capped, but you know, I don't think I've ever even noticed that darn thing on there? It really stands out to me now. Maybe it's been like it a while and only just jammed things up, as it clicks much more firmly now than before. It has also spontaneously uncapped in the past before, and I have taken to popping it into a cheap faux velvet case that came with some conference propaganda ballpoint pen, so that the clip on the case would hold pen and cap together. Well now I know!

Thanks again OCArt! :thumbup:

Love it when a plan comes together! Congrats on the successful repair!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Only at FPN can someone fix your problem in 12 mins. :P

Glad you sorted it out. :)

Pelikan 140 EF | Pelikan 140 OBB | Pelikan M205 0.4mm stub | Pilot Custom Heritage 912 PO | Pilot Metropolitan M | TWSBI 580 EF | Waterman 52 1/2v

Glad you got it solved. I too just noticed the chrome ring on my pen. I should be now careful not to unscrew it.

Regards

Subramoniam

Haha thank you all, I was pretty darn impressed, I must say! I had only joined the day before as well, so making the jump from furtive voyeur to card-carrying member was certainly a good move (despite the inevitable longterm impact upon my wallet).

Now of course I can't stop SEEing that darn chrome ring sitting there every time I pick the Studio up..

Haha thank you all, I was pretty darn impressed, I must say! I had only joined the day before as well, so making the jump from furtive voyeur to card-carrying member was certainly a good move (despite the inevitable longterm impact upon my wallet).

Now of course I can't stop SEEing that darn chrome ring sitting there every time I pick the Studio up..

Does the ring still come off easily when you cap and uncap?

Daniel

The challenge of modernity is to live without illusions and without becoming disillusioned.

Gramsci

Does the ring still come off easily when you cap and uncap?

I screwed it back down firmly, not that it was the sort of thing I could tighten much, it is so small as to be rather hard to grip. But it does seem to be staying put for now at least, or in other words, so far so good!

• 2 weeks later...

I know this poster solved his/her problem but for any that may come after seeking wisdom within these pages, here is Bob Goulet's youtube post on this issue. My Studio has done this twice, and it was an easy fix both times.

I know this poster solved his/her problem but for any that may come after seeking wisdom within these pages, here is Bob Goulet's youtube post on this issue. My Studio has done this twice, and it was an easy fix both times.

Oh wow, thank you!

I screwed it back down firmly, not that it was the sort of thing I could tighten much, it is so small as to be rather hard to grip. But it does seem to be staying put for now at least, or in other words, so far so good!

You might try securing the ring with a THIN strip of Teflon plumber's tape around the threads....

Glad you found the solution to your problem in such SHORT ORDER!!:)

Just ordered a Lamy Studio EF in Blue....silver SS nib...the store had only THREE left!! :yikes:

Good luck!

Always try to get the DIBS....on pens that have the Extra Fine NIBS!!

You might try securing the ring with a THIN strip of Teflon plumber's tape around the threads....

Glad you found the solution to your problem in such SHORT ORDER!! :)

Just ordered a Lamy Studio EF in Blue....silver SS nib...the store had only THREE left!! :yikes:

Good luck!

Always try to get the DIBS....on pens that have the Extra Fine NIBS!!

If that happens again I will do!

I saw that blue Studio, dang it's gorgeous. I'm still new to FPs so am trying not to have two of one thing, but that Studio is sorely tempting (as is another Kaweco Sport in the raw brass). I should get the Studio I have a gold nib before getting another one though.