Chinese Pens Show And Tell.

Ian the Jock

Hahaha Rub it in why don't you. :D

I particularly like the section/cap/threads set up, with the threads on the front of the sculpted section.

Asa pens had a similar set up on one of their pens, which I liked, I think it may have been the Nauka.

Folks are regularly saying that Chinese pens lack originality.

WELL! HELLO

Ian

They are kinda right. Some of those ain't new designs but recycled chinese vase designs. How the hell is it original when you are basically recycling a design? To me original means fresh, never heard of before

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ian the Jock

• Mech-for-i

• Helen350

• truthpil

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When it comes to Chinese pens I believe originality just means not directly copying the design of another pen from a popular foreign manufacturer.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

Attention JOCK. FYI I have discovered in my collection MORE Jinhao affiliated pens in my collection and would

name them as I know them by,there is the Duke, Regent, a couple of the old Chinese which need interpretation,

about three in their own presentation boxes which makes them all look fantastic. Confucious,Zhu ge Liang. Jinhao

Tiger.I promise that soon all will be revealed, my wife has a new Camera and when she learns how to switch it ON

my whole collection of Jinhao's which I will be selling in the near future will be exposed at NO cost to you.

Trust Me, oneill.

Hi Ian, we have here in South Australia a very wonderful Scotsman named Donald Campbell who just happens to be a F.I.F.A. referee, he has recently retired from the game, he has the distinction of being famous for his handling

of the game both here and in many parts of the surrounding world.He was always invited to referee the most

important games held here at Hindmarsh Stadium,he accepted my invitation to referee the game when Sunderland won the FA. Cup in 1973 and I had the pleasure as a member of the SA soccer Federation to represent them when

returning to Sunderland to see Mum to visit Roker Park and invite Sunderland to South Australia, they accepted

and Donald was delighted to take control as he always did.He has always made himself available to take charge of

the most important games. He made himself available to be in charge of a junior championship which the SA Soccer

federation held in Gove in the Northern Territory,not only did Donald direct this event he even lectured the

young officials as well.He will always be respected by the Football community of SA.

Delike New Moon and New Moon 2

http://i.imgur.com/M0Ipd2x.jpg

album with size comparisons

http://imgur.com/a/eIQjD

Which one of these do you prefer or do you think is better made, New Moon 1 or 2?

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

They are kinda right. Some of those ain't new designs but recycled chinese vase designs. How the hell is it original when you are basically recycling a design? To me original means fresh, never heard of before

Seriously.???

A pen isn't original because it looks as if it is based around the design of an old vase?

Come on :lticaptd:

"Laura!" (shouts) "Bring in those Dahlias, I've just uncapped a fountain pen, and I know you were looking for somewhere to put them".

I must admit

I can honestly say that I have never seen a fountain pen that has made me think, "ooh! that looks like an old vase"

But then again...I've never seen a vase that looks like an old fountain pen either. ;)

Ian

Hi Ian, we have here in South Australia a very wonderful Scotsman named Donald Campbell who just happens to be a F.I.F.A. referee, he has recently retired from the game, he has the distinction of being famous for his handling

of the game both here and in many parts of the surrounding world.He was always invited to referee the most

important games held here at Hindmarsh Stadium,he accepted my invitation to referee the game when Sunderland won the FA. Cup in 1973 and I had the pleasure as a member of the SA soccer Federation to represent them when

returning to Sunderland to see Mum to visit Roker Park and invite Sunderland to South Australia, they accepted

and Donald was delighted to take control as he always did.He has always made himself available to take charge of

the most important games. He made himself available to be in charge of a junior championship which the SA Soccer

federation held in Gove in the Northern Territory,not only did Donald direct this event he even lectured the

young officials as well.He will always be respected by the Football community of SA.

O'niell

The Sunderland thing is spooky.

When I was a youngster (6yr old) we were on holiday in a very small Scottish coastal town called Dunbar, and when we looked out of our digs window it looked directly into the grounds of a pretty fancy hotel below. (directly below)

Every day there were footballers training in the grounds and we watched them with intense curiosity, especially my father, while trying to figure out if they were a known club/team or not.

After a few days the curiosity was too much for my dad and he went down to the hotel to find out who they were, and yip, you've guessed it,,,,,

It was Sunderland, preparing for the same cup final.

As it happened, my dad was invited back later that day, and was told to bring the family to meet the players, which we did, and we had photos taken etc.

My dad still goes on about it, and it was made all the more special, as against all odds, Sunderland did, unexpectedly, win the cup.

And here, a short time later, they were in your neck of the woods.

It just shows. It was a small world, even back then. :D

Ian

Just to clear the fact for you guys, the plaque on both of the pen simply state " Lanbitou 238 " .. and yes franb3, your red pen had the embossed text which state " the four classic novel " on the barrel near the tip end, and on the other end " world of literature art " and the name of the four novel in straight down text in between, where Ian's got panda graphics. I think there are 2 more variant of this pen is the other colors ( Blue and Silver )

And the " bad pen " part is a mis-translation. Well, in a loose term I would not say they had translate it wrong, as the name " Lanbitou " by the text mean " weathered / well worn brush tip " but of course its not just a fun take on the fact the name is used on a pen. It actually refer to an old axiom that's almost always directed towards students of all kinds ; and that old axiom goes like " a good brain is still no match for a well worn brush tip " figuratively meaning even if one got good memory ; its still better to just jot down notes with any info worth noting

Mech-for-i

You are a star. :thumbup:

So mine is a Lanbitou 233, with embossed Pandas.

Brilliant.

What would we do without you Mech?........ :notworthy1:

Ian

A few pens came in today, the Guanleming 103, WingSung 3008, a Duke with Chinese name means Extreme and a Kunshilai 1278 which came as a free pen inside the box of the Guanleming.

nJzscPN.jpg?1

I like the look of the Duke and the Kunshilai if those are the bottom 2.

Ian

Ian,

Your Sunderland story makes me wish I could get the chance to meet your dad. You tell terrific tales, and this is one of the best of them.

Pomps,

where did you get the "Duke with Chinese name means Extreme" pen? Is there a seller on eBay?

Bob

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

Sorry Bob, I don't know about ebay, I ordered from taobao. The Duke Extreme is one of the smoothest pen I have ever used even though I mistakenly ordered the one with 0.38mm hooded nib instead of the 0.5mm nib.

Ian,

Your Sunderland story makes me wish I could get the chance to meet your dad. You tell terrific tales, and this is one of the best of them.

Pomps,

where did you get the "Duke with Chinese name means Extreme" pen? Is there a seller on eBay?

Bob

Bob

My dad is like a Glasgow/Scottish encyclopedia, but unfortunately in his auld age he's turned into a grumpy auld sod, who's answer to everything you ask him is "Och, I cannae mind", when what he really means is "Och I cannae be ar5ed".

He's on the ball and can be ar5ed when TV quizzes are on though......auld git. :lol:

Ian

A bit of a "Blast fae the past" today. :) Ok, recent past. :D

fpn_1510583949__dragon_4.jpg

fpn_1510583981__dragon_5.jpg

fpn_1510584006__dragon_1.jpg

fpn_1510584035__dragon_2.jpg

fpn_1510584076__dragon_3.jpg

I mean, who can resist a big scaley, red eyed, Bay State Blue breathing Dragon?

NOT ME. :lol:

Ian

I've got a Jinhao 1200 in gold that I paid extra for to get pre-ground to italic.

attachicon.gifJinhao 1200 On Side 2.jpg

The clip really is nifty:

attachicon.gifJinhao 1200 Clip.jpgD

CAN I TELL YOU FIRST HAND THAT THE GOLD DRAGON THAT YOU SHOW ON HERE IS THE SAME PEN THAT THE FAMOUS MAX WALKER

THE AUSTRALIAN CRICKETER WAS SO PROUD TO OWN,HE BOUGHT IT SOMEWHERE IN CHINA OR TAIWAN AND USED IT ON A DAILY

BASIS AND kept it alongside his Mont Blancs which he wrote many stories with.Trust Me oneill

Unfortunately, I've just moved, and haven't used it for a while, so the gorgeous purple ink I have in it needs to be flushed, and the pen inked again, so no writing sample at the moment. It does write very nicely, though.

On the note of eight horses pens, I fell in love with them when I discovered they existed. So, naturally, I bought as many as I could find:

attachicon.gifEight Horses Pens.jpg

My apologies for the image quality: I was in a hurry and the lighting was poor, so the pattern is blurry. Look them up on ebay and buy some if you want to see it really well. :P

The Baoer (507) in all three colors (not pictured are the matching rollerballs :blush: ), the strangely similar Hero model (861), and two printed Heros with the same pattern. The black one doesn't have a model number on it, (it's the 812 calligraphy model) and has a fude nib. The red one is also an 812. (They make one in white, that I must get. There's also the 9063, which looks to be the black 812 with a regular nib.) The silver Baoer (the other colors are called gold and copper) has the engraved part of the barrel on upside down: the only one of all 6 of that model I own. I consider it to add character.

I'd be happy to show of some more of my pens in the future. I've got some really neat ones, too.

O'niell

The Sunderland thing is spooky.

When I was a youngster (6yr old) we were on holiday in a very small Scottish coastal town called Dunbar, and when we looked out of our digs window it looked directly into the grounds of a pretty fancy hotel below. (directly below)

Every day there were footballers training in the grounds and we watched them with intense curiosity, especially my father, while trying to figure out if they were a known club/team or not.

After a few days the curiosity was too much for my dad and he went down to the hotel to find out who they were, and yip, you've guessed it,,,,,

It was Sunderland, preparing for the same cup final.

As it happened, my dad was invited back later that day, and was told to bring the family to meet the players, which we did, and we had photos taken etc.

My dad still goes on about it, and it was made all the more special, as against all odds, Sunderland did, unexpectedly, win the cup.

And here, a short time later, they were in your neck of the woods.

It just shows. It was a small world, even back then. :D

Ian

To Carry on the story from there Alex Hastings who was Captain of Sunderland when they won the cup in 1937 was the Chairman of South Australia Soccer in 1973 and I Oneill was a member of the board and because I was scheduled to return to Wearside to see my Mum I was given the job of visiting Roker Park to see Bobby Stokoe ex Newcastle now Manager of Sunderland now and invite Sunderland to Visit Adelaide in 1974 ,I had already asked Donald Campbell to referee the game which he jumped at the chance of doing, Sunderland accepted and a memorable visit it was.Oneill.

Edited by oneill

I'm sure it was memorable Oneill, footballers in the 70s certainly knew how to party.

Not like nowadays. :lol:

I've been using my big 1200 non stop since I inked it up yesterday, it's magical, and it was a bonus when I discovered my Graffico notebook that I use for writing down orders is Baystate Blue friendly...whoo hoo, so I've been using it for everything. :thumbup:

Ian

Another batch of new pens.

Top to bottom

- Caliarts Ego 2 and 1, which are a little disappointing with somewhat scratchy nibs. They came with spare nibs and feeds but the spare feeds are black, not transparent.

- Lanbitou 3059. Despite being cheaper and not as pretty as the Caliarts, this pen has a very smooth nib. I like it better than the Caliarts.

- Penbbs 308, excellent pen, nice color, great finish, good nib. It looks similar to the Lingmo Lorelei but a little bigger in size.

- 3 Penton/SKB F20 limited edition (so they say). Looks good in photos, scratchy nibs and flimsy/garbage converters. I thought I would like them when I ordered but a little disappointed.

- Banmi Ferdinand, a tuned Jinhao 911, very smooth nib, scratched grip section. For writing, the nib is better than the nib on the Thebai Thyer - another tuned 911.

- Jinxing 28, good nib, comfortable in hand, rubber sack converter.

CjZuW3z.jpg

Wing Sung 698, Monteverde red velvet ink

fpn_1510684745__kendrick-lamar-800px.jpg

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

This looks like a second chance for those like myself who missed on the green acrylic Lorelei. These pens are gorgeous!!

Can you put any other nibs in this pen? If it could take a standard #5 or even a Pilot nib like the Lorelei does, I'd be willing to get a few of these.

Sorry I did not catch your Q earlier, well I had not try, but others had, the pen itself use the nib unit similar to those in the New Moon and the unit / feed is no.5 ( Chinese #26 ) nib size compatible. I am still waiting for the M size nib version to be re-released