Chinese Pens Show And Tell.

Ian the Jock

Yes Yangtze is the brand and the text on the clip is that. There is of course a model name for that and its on the package box but ; hmmm ; ok it translate to " Large size ink calligraphy and painting use pen " but since its based off the common 90 sized pen and in form its usually referred to as the 90 even though its not its model name.

And no the flower on Hero's logo is not a lotus its Chinese Plum Blossom

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ian the Jock

• Mech-for-i

• Helen350

• truthpil

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:lol: :lol: :lol: I knew it was a blossom of some kind. :blush:

Thanks Mech-for-i

The Yangtze 90 it is then. :thumbup:

If anyone is looking for one, I found mine on ebay listed as "Hero Yangtze fountain pen", as Helen did, although searching for Yangtze fountain pen returns the same results.

Thanks again Mech-for-i, that's another to add to my brand list.

Ian

This Jinhao 599 started off as a £0.49 fine nibbed pen with a less than perfect click to the cap.

When the barrel of a black 599 cracked I used the black cap and then swapped the fine nib for something more broad.

post-138039-0-05091800-1504013002_thumb.jpg

post-138039-0-92319500-1504013013_thumb.jpg

My Yangtze 90 has arrived, with a blue-green stone like yours, Ian. I have not inked it up yet as it needs a good cleaning. I think maybe a turquoise.

One of my daughters gave birth to twins recently. It has interfered with using pens and posting here, but not, somehow, with ordering Chinese pens.

This Jinhao 599 started off as a £0.49 fine nibbed pen with a less than perfect click to the cap.

When the barrel of a black 599 cracked I used the black cap and then swapped the fine nib for something more broad.

There you go.

A pen with a nib you like, in 2 tone, for a quid.

Another "win" :D

Ian

My Yangtze 90 has arrived, with a blue-green stone like yours, Ian. I have not inked it up yet as it needs a good cleaning. I think maybe a turquoise.

One of my daughters gave birth to twins recently. It has interfered with using pens and posting here, but not, somehow, with ordering Chinese pens.

Inkvisible, Nothing interferes with ordering Chinese pens. :D :D

I once ordered a Huahong at 3am while sitting on the toilet. :D

In fact I'm guilty of having done that on more than one occasion.

Ian

Mech-for-i, the insider view of the Chinese industry you bring is so valuable. Thank you for your perspective and contributions!

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

Messing around with Italic nibbed pens today.

These 2 are the humble Jinhao x450 with a broad untipped italic grind, inked with diamine Matador, and a Huahong Red Belter with a tipped, fine italic grind, inked with diamine midnight, and not Dc supershow blue, which is in my Italix (med italic) Captains commission and used for the candle.

GREAT FUN.

fpn_1504271779__z450_hh.jpg

fpn_1504271822__z450_hh1.jpg

fpn_1504271862__znibz.jpg

fpn_1504271918__zcandle001.jpg

fpn_1504277195__zcandle002.jpg

Ian

(Edited to correct my ink/pen mix up, and add the 2nd page photo, which I had originally omitted to do) :doh:

Edited by Ian the Jock

That's beautiful writing, Ian. I wish I had the patience to do something like that.

As an aside about Roger Waters, I always preferred him in Pink Floyd before the band kicked him out. On his own I thought both his and David Gilmores music was utterly drab and dreary. There was no spark like they had no interest in music anymore, and it just felt like they wanted to trot out a few lines to pay for the occasional luxury yacht now and again

Edited by Bluey

Hi Bluey

Thanks, I just like messing about. :)

Yip, big Floyd fan too, although I must disagree with you on Waters own stuff.

Dave Gilmore, yes, drab, boring, lifeless stuff, however, Amused to death is the greatest album in the history of all music-ness.

I believed that when I first heard it, and I still believe it now, it's an astounding piece of work.

Radio Kaos is a damn fine album too.

And this from a devout Numanoid. :D

Ian

An old boss lent me some of Roger Waters albums to listen to, but he just sounded bored. Maybe at the time I was comparing his solo stuff with Pink Floyd, so I was a little underwhelmed and disappointed.

That was many years ago so maybe I could revisit him, but these days I very rarely listen to pop/rock (I still love Floyd, but don't often listen to them. I only like Roger Waters stuff, Barretts stuff was too 'way out there' and Gilmore is too ho-hum) . Because I grew up with it and lived and breathed it, listening to it now feels like trying to appreciate my mum singing in the shower after being used to Pavarotti

For your pens, did you do the grind yourself or are Jinhao supplying stubs now? I must have a go sometime

Edited by Bluey

Ian, I still love everything about the Huahong red belter, and your italic script really shows it off.

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

Bluey

Yes, I ground them myself.

The Huahong was ground specifically to suit my sloping down from left to right handwriting.

I have a few others ground exactly the same way, and they are all brilliant pens for my writing style.

The Belter is super smooth, and when I get a chance, I'll stick on a handwriting sample to show the Belter at its best.

Bob

The Belters perform flawlessly, and I gave my red one a serious workout recently, and it never skipped a beat across 3 or 4 fills worth of writing.

I love them as much now as I did the day they landed.

Helen

Thanks for the compliment Helen.

The script in red (Jinhao) I just kinda made up, and tried to make it look a bit different.

The nib on the Jinny is lovely and wet which makes it great fun, and the feed keeps up no problem.

Ian

Inkvisible, Nothing interferes with ordering Chinese pens. :D :D

I once ordered a Huahong at 3am while sitting on the toilet. :D

In fact I'm guilty of having done that on more than one occasion.

Ian

Thank God for this post Ian, I was scared I was the only person in the world to do such things.

Greg

"may our fingers remain ink stained"

Handwriting - one of life's pure pleasures

Bluey

Yes, I ground them myself.

The Huahong was ground specifically to suit my sloping down from left to right handwriting.

I have a few others ground exactly the same way, and they are all brilliant pens for my writing style.

The Belter is super smooth, and when I get a chance, I'll stick on a handwriting sample to show the Belter at its best.

I would think that needs a fair bit of skill to achieve.

I may grind myself a true italic so sharp it can cut my lawn. None of this dull stub business that they make these days.

Edited by Bluey

Wing Sung 30 ; an interesting mid to late 1990's student pen targeted towards the teen and youth market, its a radical departure from previous student pens by actually rationalizing the production by utilizing components from the Mfr's main lineup of pens, thus it spots the nib and feed from the much more up market 270 / 271 / 275 series ( which means its compatible with the current Wing Sung 698 14K ver. ). The rationalization also can be seen in the engineering, where the pen spots only 6 user component - the converter ( aerometric ), the nib, the feed, the section ( single piece molded ), the barrel and the cap. The latter one had the cap band, inner cap and clip permanently attached, clearly the Mfr did not expect to service on them if they do ever broke. And they usually do not since the plastic used was clearly of a higher quality than the previous models and was engineered with a sturdier build; even sturdier than the more up market workhorse model like the 220. Other than the Lemon Yellow and Bright Mint shown it can be had in a youthful Red, bright Blue or the usual Black. There was also accompanied ballpoint in the same 5 color.

37016661845_4a7763bb1d_k.jpgWing Sung 30 by Mech for i, on Flickr

36619608720_6d1bc44025_k.jpgWing Sung 235 set of fountain and multi-pen ballpoint by Mech for i, on Flickr

and here's the original set of Wing Sung 235, the 235 is not an unfamiliar model here so I would not be spending words there for the fountain pen, but few realize that when it was released then it was mean to be sold as a set ( mid-tier premium model among the 23X range together with the celluloid 237 and sits under the 234 ) and here's shown the set itself with the now hard to find multi-pen ballpoint. Its one of those old twist action multi pen ( 3 color ). I was just able to pirate 3 refills from a Bic 4 color multi pen to get it to work again. Honestly the BP is clunky and the action to retract and extract the tip is not working consistently but none the less when it works , it works, and wow what a looker.

Wing Sung 30 ; an interesting mid to late 1990's student pen targeted towards the teen and youth market, its a radical departure from previous student pens by actually rationalizing the production by utilizing components from the Mfr's main lineup of pens, thus it spots the nib and feed from the much more up market 270 / 271 / 275 series ( which means its compatible with the current Wing Sung 698 14K ver. ). The rationalization also can be seen in the engineering, where the pen spots only 6 user component - the converter ( aerometric ), the nib, the feed, the section ( single piece molded ), the barrel and the cap. The latter one had the cap band, inner cap and clip permanently attached, clearly the Mfr did not expect to service on them if they do ever broke. And they usually do not since the plastic used was clearly of a higher quality than the previous models and was engineered with a sturdier build; even sturdier than the more up market workhorse model like the 220. Other than the Lemon Yellow and Bright Mint shown it can be had in a youthful Red, bright Blue or the usual Black. There was also accompanied ballpoint in the same 5 color.

37016661845_4a7763bb1d_k.jpgWing Sung 30 by Mech for i, on Flickr

36619608720_6d1bc44025_k.jpgWing Sung 235 set of fountain and multi-pen ballpoint by Mech for i, on Flickr

and here's the original set of Wing Sung 235, the 235 is not an unfamiliar model here so I would not be spending words there for the fountain pen, but few realize that when it was released then it was mean to be sold as a set ( mid-tier premium model among the 23X range together with the celluloid 237 and sits under the 234 ) and here's shown the set itself with the now hard to find multi-pen ballpoint. Its one of those old twist action multi pen ( 3 color ). I was just able to pirate 3 refills from a Bic 4 color multi pen to get it to work again. Honestly the BP is clunky and the action to retract and extract the tip is not working consistently but none the less when it works , it works, and wow what a looker.

WOW! A real Twighlight zone moment...cue the weird atmospheric music.

I've just recently ordered a Wing Sung 235.......ooooh spooky.

I've eyed it up for ages and ages, as the triumph type nib and the Rose Gold really floats my boat, however, the lack of weight concerned me and the fact that it only comes in fine put me off.

I've become slightly more tolerant to fine nibs recently, and thought Ah! what the heck, geezit.

So I ordered one.

Your insight into the Wing Sung 30 is great too, I can see why students would be all over these.

Ian

Here we go, as promised.

A handwriting sample using the Huahong Red Belter, ground to a fine italic specifically to suit my handwriting and the angle at which I write.

fpn_1504530933__zhong001.jpg

Cheers

Ian

Mech-for-i

How do you find the Wing Sung "tubular" nibs?

I've always liked the look of them, but as I said previously, most only come in fine.

Do you know of any, (Wing Sung or otherwise) pens, which have this nib only with a broader tip.

Thanks in advance

Ian