Chinese Pens Show And Tell.

Ian the Jock

Awwww naw! Helen, just Naw :(

I don't like the vanishing point at all.

It's a pen I would never consider, a bit like the Parker 51, both are revered on here, the Parker to silly extremes, but neither of them butter my parsnips in any way at all.

But just think how boring life would be if we all liked the same things. :D

Ian

Yes, life would be boring. However, you and I do like many of the same pens, so there has got to be a few that are distinctly different. :D

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ian the Jock

• Mech-for-i

• Helen350

• truthpil

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's a pen I would never consider, a bit like the Parker 51, both are revered on here, the Parker to silly extremes, but neither of them butter my parsnips in any way at all.

Ian

The Capless(Vanishing Point) is more a utility pen. If you enjoy journalling most of all and rarely take random notes or write on public transport, then it's a waste. It's not really a pen to be 'enjoyed', more to be of use. I have one and I like it because it's handy, but it's definitely one ugly mother.

The Parker is just ugly.

Edited by Bluey

The Capless(Vanishing Point) is more a utility pen. If you enjoy journalling most of all and rarely take random notes or write on public transport, then it's a waste. It's not really a pen to be 'enjoyed', more to be of use. I have one and I like it because it's handy, but it's definitely one ugly mother.

The Parker is just ugly.

What is all the Parker 51 fuss about?

I'm not even tempted to get one to see what the hoo haa is all about, yet some folks recommend it for everything.

"I'm looking for a modern Italian acrylic pen under $200"

"Get a Parker 51 aero"

I actually saw this in a thread. :D :D

I'd rather have a mint Aero.

Ian

I'm not even tempted to get one to see what the hoo haa is all about, yet some folks recommend it for everything.

"Get a Parker 51 aero"

Ian

Your guess is as good as mine, but it appears that many people think that they should love that pen but without knowing why, perhaps it's more the image that they like more than the pen. Much of it is group-think.

I know what you mean, I've seen all the threads too, with people recommending the Parker 51 as an excellent lawnmower and one that can cook food to perfection in under a minute. Personally I don't believe them.

Edited by Bluey

"Get a Parker 51 aero"

Ian

Same kind of feeling here; well am not saying the Parker 51 a bad pen; if anything else, it lead us to all these Chinese hooded nib pen we all enjoy. But seriously when I keep seeing people recommend vintage pens and all the fancy ones to new comers I just keep shaking my head. The only time I actually got a Parker 51 is buying it as a gift for someone ( who had sentimental reason for this particular model ) ...... The same probably could be said for all those on the forum keep recommending people to go buy vintage flex ; well to be very honest most of us probably do not need and likely unable to handle such flex and most of us are not calligraphers either.

No, it is no doubt a descent pen, but it isn't the be all and end all.

Not every pen suits every person, 51 included.

I personally don't care for hooded nibs, or skittery, plasticky feeling pens, which is why I don't have any of the Hero 616 type pens either.

I know you like a hooded number Mech-for-i, but that doesn't mean you have to have a 51 as a matter of rule, but many believe and insist that everyone needs to have one. :D

Anyway, enough 51 bashing. Each to their own. :D

Ian

The Parker is just ugly.

Bluey I do a lot of journaling, so it sounds like just what I 'might' need. ;) Then, if I don't find a real bargain, it will not make its way into my home. Now for the Parker 51 - definitely not my cup of tea, even though my collection is very eclectic.

Same kind of feeling here; well am not saying the Parker 51 a bad pen; if anything else, it lead us to all these Chinese hooded nib pen we all enjoy. But seriously when I keep seeing people recommend vintage pens and all the fancy ones to new comers I just keep shaking my head. The only time I actually got a Parker 51 is buying it as a gift for someone ( who had sentimental reason for this particular model ) ...... The same probably could be said for all those on the forum keep recommending people to go buy vintage flex ; well to be very honest most of us probably do not need and likely unable to handle such flex and most of us are not calligraphers either.

Wise words. I prefer to be practical though.

Some people recommend their favourite sphere of pens irrespective of whether they're any good for the job, such as people recommending Pelikans and Viscontis and MBs when people want a decent writer, or people recommending wet noodles for an EDC, or even recommending a Lamy 2000 for a beginner pen. No, just no! And the P51 which can be everything to everyone, of course.

Bluey I do a lot of journaling, so it sounds like just what I 'might' need. ;) Then, if I don't find a real bargain, it will not make its way into my home. Now for the Parker 51 - definitely not my cup of tea, even though my collection is very eclectic.

You buy a steel nib version for around $70 or less. There's no real difference between that and the gold nib although some people believe there is. I know your taste is eclectic! I've been wanting to try some of those pens that you've shown on here but i can never find them on ebay UK.

Edited by Bluey

G'day Ian, still think this is the best topic on the entire FPN, haven't posted anything for a while but an avid reader all the same.

Just bought a Wing Sung 698 fine, what a cracker of a pen, an absolute joy to write with. So impressed with it I've ordered another 698, this time an extra fine nib. The economics of buying Chinese made pens make purchases so so afordable.

Greg

"may our fingers remain ink stained"

Handwriting - one of life's pure pleasures

Ian

The Parker 51 is the E Type Jaguar of the pen world in my opinion.....so incredibly ugly that it's beautiful :)

The Parker 51 is the E Type Jaguar of the pen world in my opinion.....so incredibly ugly that it's beautiful :)

:D I was thinking the very same thing about the Jinhao Pearl Dragon that I bought. :D :D

Ian

G'day Ian, still think this is the best topic on the entire FPN, haven't posted anything for a while but an avid reader all the same.

Just bought a Wing Sung 698 fine, what a cracker of a pen, an absolute joy to write with. So impressed with it I've ordered another 698, this time an extra fine nib. The economics of buying Chinese made pens make purchases so so afordable.

Greg

Good on you Greg

These Wing Sung demos have been making quite an impression recently, and not only with the lovers of Chinese pens either.

I haven't been tempted yet, as I'm not a big fan of demonstrators, however if they are as good as everyone says, then I really should get one, and probably will at some point.

Great to have you chipping in by the way.

Ian

You buy a steel nib version for around $70 or less. There's no real difference between that and the gold nib although some people believe there is. I know your taste is eclectic! I've been wanting to try some of those pens that you've shown on here but i can never find them on ebay UK.

Bluey, some of my pens from China are over 9+ yrs old, which is probably why you might have a hard time finding them. Many of them look almost new--I keep all of my pens in pen cases. With over 200+ pens, it takes me some time to put one into rotation. :blush: In the past 10 days, I have fallen in love with my Picasso Avignon, and find myself using it daily (thanks to Ian :rolleyes: ). I will keep my eyes open for the steel nib version of the Capless Vanishing Point.

Bluey, some of my pens from China are over 9+ yrs old, which is probably why you might have a hard time finding them. Many of them look almost new--I keep all of my pens in pen cases. With over 200+ pens, it takes me some time to put one into rotation. :blush: In the past 10 days, I have fallen in love with my Picasso Avignon, and find myself using it daily (thanks to Ian :rolleyes: ). I will keep my eyes open for the steel nib version of the Capless Vanishing Point.

Well that explains it then. Shame they're not still made. Perhaps they will be worth something one day considerably more than what you paid, if fountain pen trends continue with China being the next powerhouse (the West has long since had it's day, being currently comprised of has-beens such as MB, Pelikan, Sheaffer, and Parker and many others attempting to capitalise on their name, churning out (sometimes beautiful) pens with junk nibs to sell to unsuspecting non-enthusiasts, as well as fountain pen enthusiasts who would prefer to live in the past and stay in the dark).

If you're willing to buy direct from Japan you would need to keep your eyes closed not to see any steel nib VPs, so no problems there.

Edited by Bluey

Came across this pen purely by accident. Had never heard of a Hero-Yangtze - made in 1980. I put in a bid and won it for $1.04 (free shipping). Felt I had nothing to lose. It was listed as a PVC Calligraphy practice pen. The nib is a surprisingly decent med. nib with just a bit of flex; aerometric; screw cap. Will tweak the nib to make it wetter. The orange stone is plastic and securely in place.

fpn_1502674133__heroyangtze2.jpg

fpn_1502674236__heroyangtzecapnib2.jpg

fpn_1502674938__heroyangtzefiller.jpg

fpn_1502674293__heroyangtzesample.jpg

Came across this pen purely by accident. Had never heard of a Hero-Yangtze - made in 1980. I put in a bid and won it for $1.04 (free shipping). Felt I had nothing to lose. It was listed as a PVC Calligraphy practice pen. The nib is a surprisingly decent med. nib with just a bit of flex; aerometric; screw cap. Will tweak the nib to make it wetter. The orange stone is plastic and securely in place.

fpn_1502674133__heroyangtze2.jpg

fpn_1502674236__heroyangtzecapnib2.jpg

fpn_1502674938__heroyangtzefiller.jpg

fpn_1502674293__heroyangtzesample.jpg

Here! That looks nice Helen.

It looks a bit like a better made Wing Sung 590, is it huge?

I'm not sure if the stone on the clip is for me :lol: but it looks like a nice pen, and a screw cap too.

At $1.04 if it writes, YOU'VE WON.

And it writes,Yaaaaaaaaaaay. You're A winner. :thumbup:

Been using this one over the weekend really can't fault the Jinhao

36500578236_1a862f37a8_c.jpg

Kev

Lovely pic Kev ....so that's what those glass garden tables are for.

How do you keep the rain off? :lol:

The 450 is a lovely wet writer, unbelievable how good they are for the money.

Because they run wet they are ideal candidates for grinding to a broad italic, as the feed keeps up without any problems.

I have one such pen that I use every day, a red one inked with diamine Matador and it's magic.

Ian

Here! That looks nice Helen.

It looks a bit like a better made Wing Sung 590, is it huge?

I'm not sure if the stone on the clip is for me :lol: but it looks like a nice pen, and a screw cap too.

At $1.04 if it writes, YOU'VE WON.

And it writes,Yaaaaaaaaaaay. You're A winner. :thumbup:

Lovely pic Kev ....so that's what those glass garden tables are for.

How do you keep the rain off? :lol:

The 450 is a lovely wet writer, unbelievable how good they are for the money.

Because they run wet they are ideal candidates for grinding to a broad italic, as the feed keeps up without any problems.

I have one such pen that I use every day, a red one inked with diamine Matador and it's magic.

Ian

Thanks Ian, glass table is easy to keep dry, just send the missus out with a kitchen towel ;) (not behind me is she)

Kev

I am impressed that you were able to find the Hero-Yangtze at such a low price, Helen. The seller offers it as a Buy It Now for under $4. If you search under Youlian, you will find this pen going for $15.

I like my Wing Sung 590, because it holds a lot of ink and has a nice soft-ish nib. I have taken it when travelling because of that large ink supply. If I lose it, I can replace it easily. This pen is similar.

Now if you could just find a reasonable price for the Huashi 90, I could enjoy another pen in this style, and with a secret compartment for a seal, too.

Yeah many of these 90 sized like the Yangtze are never even mean for normal writing : they were made for ink drawing and calligraphy. You will notice that their nib usually are made out of a thinner gauge. Thats also true of most vintage fude nibs of the time before the 90s

Edited by Mech-for-i