Chinese Pens Show And Tell.

Ian the Jock

one of the craftsman I bought parts from decide he would made some acrylic barrel for the Hero 565 ( aka re-issue Gold Star 565 ) so I got one of the first translucent purple vein , IMHO the Hero 565 is currently the best vintage model to be had for a classic hooded nib / fixed aerometric filling with exception of the 100 of course

49036837392_e57578bf9b_k.jpgHero 565, on Flickr

Edited by Mech-for-i

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ian the Jock

• Mech-for-i

• Helen350

• truthpil

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow, that custom barrel is gorgeous! It looks much more complex than the usual custom barrels I see for Hero 100s. Will the craftsman be selling to international customers?

one of the craftsman I bought parts from decide he would made some acrylic barrel for the Hero 565 ( aka re-issue Gold Star 565 ) so I got one of the first translucent t purple vein , IMHO the Hero 565 is currently the best vintage model to be had for a classic hooded nib / fixed aerometric filling with exception of te 100 of course

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

So you are back stateside now Pil ... truly I do not know but I will put in for you an inquiry next time I got around to talk to him. he's on Taobao also so likely his online store can do the shipping part though I figure for small parts like this the shipping cost can be a bit over the top vs the actual cost of the parts.

I love this thread for window shopping.

I seem to really like writing with purple ink, but I don't have a purple pen. So eventually, I will probably try to fill that gap. That's a beautiful acrylic pattern.

one of the craftsman I bought parts from decide he would made some acrylic barrel for the Hero 565 ( aka re-issue Gold Star 565 ) so I got one of the first translucent purple vein , IMHO the Hero 565 is currently the best vintage model to be had for a classic hooded nib / fixed aerometric filling with exception of the 100 of course

How did you remove the Pelikan nib?

I was trying to pull out mine but it doesn't want to budge at all

Ah Well, that was why I had a spare nib. It was too proud in the M200 I had bought from Ebay and I managed to remove it from the metal ring housing by accident with brute force but then couldn't replace it no matter how hard I tried. It just sat in my box of spare nibs awaiting a home. But on the bright side it has now found the perfect home.

Edited by ian1964

Something a little different. I recently acquired this pen and love it lots. But I have little love for the stock Chinese Fine nibs. I found this spare Pelikan Medium nib and it's a perfect fit.

BTW you can swap in the M200 nib UNIT and screw it on. The only issue is thst it'll be recessed into the grip

BTW you can swap in the M200 nib UNIT and screw it on. The only issue is thst it'll be recessed into the grip

Good to know. Thank you

Delike alpha with a 1.1mm italic.

post-123774-0-76691300-1573654529_thumb.jpg

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

The ink in the quote is Diamine Communication Breakdown. “Mary Oliver” is in Diamine Oxford Blue.

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

The ink in the quote is Diamine Communication Breakdown. “Mary Oliver” is in Diamine Oxford Blue.

Thanks - will add it to my wish list...

Truthpil, this nib is one from eBay. I bought one of these pens, swapped the nib onto the Delike alpha, and ground the nib a little crispier.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/flat-Gothic-parallel-art-Flower-body-plastic-WordArt-Flat-Whisper-Fountain-Pen/192526049324?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

ITALY AND THE UK

KWRf2rX.jpg

"There are thousands of thoughts lying within a man that he does not know 'till he takes up the pen and writes."

- William Thackeray

• 4 weeks later...

An odd one out here , not your typical vintage Wing Sung 500 , but a Wing Sung 500 Ex-Spec ( 規格外品 ) ......

fpn_1576734785__ws500steel-es.jpg

this pen was acquired some years ago in a lot ; come in a pack of 10 still in its box tray factory sealed and date stamped Sep 1988, and on the box, the tray, the QC ticket, the paper ( instruction ) and even the seal ( 4 of them ) all are stamped the wording 規格外品 , literally meaning its not within the specification .. well actually that's old Wing Sung's small batch run of prototype / samples that is not designated to be sold to retail ; as it can been seen in the photo it differs from the final retail version by having the old style clip ( likely re using parts from their 800 series ) , a simpler stacked coin style cap finale, and had the early polished steel EF nib , where the retail version had its own clip that is not arrow shaped, just plain square but chromed and with paint filled logo, a different finale and uses a TigP finished F nib. The section also is a bit different with a very apparent molding line ( likely Wing Sung just clean up the mold better for final production ). One thing why Wing Sung do not offer this nib is likely due to the fact that these nib are not really satisfactory in writing and overall quality. Like the latter service version of this nib , it write very dry and tend to need a tuning on the ink flow but will write very consistent EF , the problem is that to open up the tines you had to work the nib and this earlier version of the nib is very very firm but yet not very pliable, easily sprung whether writing or working the flow. Not really what I would call much serviceable

fpn_1576734761__ws500exspec.jpg

Edited by Mech-for-i

• 2 weeks later...

the now old defunct Jinxing / Gold Star / Golden Star was then still manufacturing many pens with outdated mechanism ( namely the filling part ) right up to the end of closure circa 1999 , but at its last years , the Mfr did made an effort to put out some respectably updated and viable models, still the result is set and the name simply fold right before Y2K came in ..

29384073848_a5a45304d2_k.jpgGold Star 210

And here it is one of those late life models the Golden Star 210 , vintage late 90's showing both old and new ; it uses the old style all brass lacquered construction with a plastic section , which is being trimmed with a thick gold plated trim ring at the end. The nib , surprisingly is a standard no.5 instead of their older 26 sized ( there is slight difference between the two though you can interchange them in actual usage ). Straight forward push and friction fit ; and now incorporated a C/C filling using the then established Hero de facto 2.6mm spec. The cap is always fashioned with 3 thin gold plated ring and a kind of tessie ring arrow clip with flat plain finale. Inside which is a PU type plastic inner cap which also serve to very positively CLICK onto the section and the barrel end for posting. Another gold plated trim ring act as the cap band with the legend stamped there.

The nib choice on this model is interesting , it's almost always found with this 2 toned no.5 steel nib in standard F, but was also then offered in EF ( polised steel only ), 9.6K Gold ( M only ) , 12K Gold ( FM only ) , and rarely but also 14K Gold ( M only ) ; the finishing is always lacquered , in either basic Black , Blue Black , Ivory Cream ( sort of very pale beige ) , and a Medium Grey with speckled White. The nib perform reasonably well, especially the Gold nib which tend to give nice cushioned feel and a fair it of softness. Howevre the pen itself, even for its times, was styled too plain and old and the trim is looking loud and dated and back then when it sells at a price dearer than many like offering from that of Hero / Gui-Guan / Wing Sung and many other new names propping up during the 80's / 90's it just did not measure up

fpn_1577694198__gs210.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

some haul this month, just before Lunar New Year .. my order of Custom made 2 pen and 3 pen sleeve came in , got 10X 2 pen sleeve all in different pattern / colour , and 2X 3 pen sleeve, the 3 pen sleeve is done in real silk, and the 2 pen sleeve in stone washed Cotton / Linen mix solid colour and Cotton / Linen mix pattern, all are quilted and fleeced inside

49354822932_f4757e293c_k.jpgCustom made soft pen sleeves, on Flickr

Also coming in, Picasso's different take on Stealth , OASO Origin , instead of the all matt finish, OASO had the aluminum smooth satin finished ; fashioned with a black chromed clip and a black chromed nib

fpn_1578546566__oaso-origin-02.jpg

fpn_1578546612__oaso-origin-01.jpg

My PenBBS 491 also arrived, and a bunch of small parts , my replenishment of Ostrich 2018 flower series ink also came in and finally the artist easel that I intend to hack for a traveling writing slope

Edited by Mech-for-i

Nice sleeves! Where can I buy them (I'm hoping it wouldn't involve having to travel to China)?

Слава Україні!

Slava Ukraini!

STR:11 DEX: 5 CON:5 INT:17 WIS:11 CHA:3

Wielding: BIC stick of poor judgment (-3,-5) {cursed}