Chinese Pens Show And Tell.

Ian the Jock

TruthPil - another nice Picasso pen is the Avignon #933. Looks like it is worth much more than it cost. You might want to do some research on that one. My nib was smooth right out of the box, and did not require any smoothing. Both the 915 and the 933 nibs were smooth (for a non-gold nib).

fpn_1500952492__picasso933sampleb.jpg

fpn_1500926328__picasso933pencap.jpg

Very nice. I have the red and green variants of the 915 and this looked too tempting - $23 on eBay so I've bought one!

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ian the Jock

• Mech-for-i

• Helen350

• truthpil

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very nice. I have the red and green variants of the 915 and this looked too tempting - $23 on eBay so I've bought one!

I firmly believe you will like this pen. I just inked mine up with de Atramentis Adular Blue for some homework this evening. This pen never fails to draw attention. People get the impression I must have a large wallet (LOL). I trust your nib will be as smooth as mine. It does post well, and is not back heavy. I paid about $30+ dollars, so you got a bargain. I do need to add the green 915 to my collection. Enjoy your Avignon.

I firmly believe you will like this pen. I just inked mine up with de Atramentis Adular Blue for some homework this evening. This pen never fails to draw attention. People get the impression I must have a large wallet (LOL). I trust your nib will be as smooth as mine. It does post well, and is not back heavy. I paid about $30+ dollars, so you got a bargain. I do need to add the green 915 to my collection. Enjoy your Avignon.

Getting closer to deciding on the Avignon. In China they can be had for as little as $12. My concern is the smoothness of the section. I have several pens that I don't use because the section is too slippery for my sweaty fingers haha. From the pictures it seems like the 915 has some kind of ribs on the section to aid in grip, but the Avignon seems very smooth.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

Getting closer to deciding on the Avignon. In China they can be had for as little as $12. My concern is the smoothness of the section. I have several pens that I don't use because the section is too slippery for my sweaty fingers haha. From the pictures it seems like the 915 has some kind of ribs on the section to aid in grip, but the Avignon seems very smooth.

Yes, the section is smooth and is not rubberized.. The way I hold the pen causes part of my fingers to lay against the metal pen body (smooth transition). . I admit, I do not suffer from sweaty fingers, though I do have a small hand.. I have written with this pen up to one hour at a time without any difficulty. Which pens do you own with a smooth section that cause you problems. Would give me a better idea for comparison. I currently own (3) Picasso pens. There is an additional one which I long to purchase, and maybe one day I will take the plunge.

Picassos generally have very smooth nibs. They also tend to run rather wide.

Of the 3 Picasso pens I own, each nib is very smooth. They do write like a true medium, vs. a fine/med.

fpn_1549076005__picasso2119b.jpg

Got my pair of Hero 616-plus (a pink and a blue). They seem to write wet, and the blue has Dromgoole's Blue Steel and the pink, Iro Yama-Budo. I'll see if I can get a pic or sketch up later.

The blue doesn't cap well. That's the only gripe so far.

http://extras.ourpatioparty.com/files/1015/4947/1288/Hero_616_Plus-640p.jpg

Edited by Sailor Kenshin

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

• 2 weeks later...

Checking yet another Lamy style nib equipped model , this was released Oct / Nov 2018 ; Winning 607 , this had a triangular profile all through and through from tip to tip barrel to end of cap, though I always find the Safari section really annoying , this one is kind of OK as it does not taper so much and its flatter on the indent with less sculptured profile. come in only F and in 10 different satin peralescent enamel paint coated. Unlike the others this is not priced as school pen but was more of a mid range and it show, the build is solid and sturdy, the barrel though triangular had a round internal almost fill length brass insert that give it more structural strength and some heft ( but not really weight )

45819439535_110fc43d3e_k.jpgWinning 607, on Flickr

145mm capped

128.5mm uncapped

165mm posted , post very secure

18.2g weight ( 10.9g without cap )

• 2 weeks later...

Parker certainly was a name in China back then with fountain pen and its no surprise , after the Hero 50, there was a number of model that use the P75 style nib and one of the best and most liked was the Hero 58 , and come later Hero made some less of a purist style and more an up market mid range model in the form of Hero 62, 52-1, 521, and then 582 and this the Hero 581

it uses the thick stem screw in feed / nib as started by the Hero 50 but had the 58 style dual tone nib, come in 2 finishes, this Satin Black on chrome and a satin silver on chrome ; C/C fill ; all brass construction but still reasonable but not light weighted. This model though out of production can still be had regularly on online retail

45284922464_3a25014899_k.jpgHero 581, on Flickr

Wing Sung 3008 - F. nib. Ink: deAtramentis Adular Blue. Paper: Black 'n Red Notebook. Wet nib. Cost: $2.79. Piston filler.

Though the Wing Sung 698 is a better quality pen (at $17-20), the 3008 will be a good pen to use for classroom note taking or as a EDP. Nice looking pen, with a foam green cap. Cap does post well, however, you must be careful not to twist the cap when posted. Unfortunately the cap for the piston filler does not lock in place like the 698. As long as you are mindful, it will be a cost saver for a student. If you lose it, or someone "borrows" without the intention of returning it, it will not break your student budget. You can get a bit of line variation, for those with that type of concern. Comes in four colors: Purple silver, blue and foam green.. The 3008 also comes with gold tone trim. I did not select that model for purchase. I felt that because of the low cost, the trim could probably chip off in the long haul. The last time I went to a Bible Study. I almost lost my Bexley Cappuccino. Will no longer be taking that pen to a study group. The 3008 makes the perfect pen for taking notes, yet a pen that I can use for FP evangelism. :unsure:

fpn_1551747104__wingsung30083419.jpg

fpn_1551753501__skbnotes3419.jpg
fpn_1551753373__skbred3419.jpg
fpn_1551753302__skbblue3419.jpg
The nib on these pens remind me of the Jinhao 992 nib. Not a bad nib--fairly wet--smooth writer. These are just EDP for my general writing of educational workbooks.

• 2 weeks later...

I think my previous post got a deadlink, so here it goes ( while I am at it today ) ... this is M&G AFPM1202 , a square profiled ( including section without any sculptured cutout ) all plastic ( feel like PU , but Mfr say otherwise, anyway it feel kind of soft tactile and is not hard to the hand ) with a smoked clear section on this Black finish, the other would be White with all clear section. Can be had with EF or F nib ( Lamy style ) , very lightweight at 14.5g and 9.3g if cap off, just 11mm girth ( barrel flat side to flat side ), 137mm capped, 129mm uncapped, 169mm posted ... this had fast become my EDC as it write well, write smooth and plain look cool while not over-riding .. the clip clearly taken a cue from Kaco Sky , I had today fix upon it my Lamy Z50 black EF nib and its looking even cooler, best thing about this pen is it feel good in the hand , just about right ergonomically for me

32269644838_d80021b97c_k.jpgM&G AFPM1202, on Flickr

Edited by Mech-for-i

• 2 weeks later...

My Selmy 喵將 ( 嫣橘 ) come around early this week and the while the name say orange ; its actually pale cream white + pastel baby pink chips in translucent acrylic combo, I like it clipless better so I would take that Cat open ring off and probably put it onto my Marupen

33613766808_6a207ad616_k.jpgSelmy 喵將 ( 嫣橘 ), on Flickr

Edited by Mech-for-i

That Selmy is a beauty, Mech-for-i - I don't usually like pink, but that pearlize acrylic is really beautiful.

LIY SHISAN

c7DSJ7.jpg

PENBBS 267 - I love their shape and soft nibs. These are great for drawing.

qY9qjz.jpg

WomenWagePeace

SUPORTER OF http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/100x75q90/631/uh2SgO.jpg

My avatar is a painting by the imense surrealist painter Remedios Varo

• 2 weeks later...

This looks like an amalgamation of Cross and Parker :D . The Parkcross pen.

Parker certainly was a name in China back then with fountain pen and its no surprise , after the Hero 50, there was a number of model that use the P75 style nib and one of the best and most liked was the Hero 58 , and come later Hero made some less of a purist style and more an up market mid range model in the form of Hero 62, 52-1, 521, and then 582 and this the Hero 581

it uses the thick stem screw in feed / nib as started by the Hero 50 but had the 58 style dual tone nib, come in 2 finishes, this Satin Black on chrome and a satin silver on chrome ; C/C fill ; all brass construction but still reasonable but not light weighted. This model though out of production can still be had regularly on online retail

45284922464_3a25014899_k.jpgHero 581, on Flickr

Vintage mid to late 90's here's the Golden Star ( or Jinxing, Gold Star ) 914 , pretty much demonstrate the late evolution of the brand as well as its inability to adept; its got a rather amusing mix of styling cue with a mix media barrel and cap, both of which is plastic with raised line pattern but with heavy steel cap ring, and barrel ring / end ring capped with like heavy duty flat finale and fairly plain simple stylish clip. Though the brand goes with the styling change of the time its kind of half way baked as we can see the still use the same old section with the gold color trim ring, initially it came with the old no flare slim no.5 nib, and later production are supplied with this more traditional no.5 in 2 tone , they really should made this all chrome / polished steel and so do the section trim ring, even later its offered with a variety of gold nibs with their 9.6K, later 10K, 12K &14K .. despite all that though its still fashioned with the old fixed aerometric filling and by that time it was totally out of pace with the market

fpn_1554941587__gs914-1.jpg

fpn_1554941565__gs914-2.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Neutral colour always made for a good choice , and it seems just like the Pilot nib enjoying a string of adaptation on Chinese fountain pen, so do Lamy's ( Safari style nib ) ... here's M&G's whiter than white offering, the AFPM-1202 ( pen with clear section ) and AFPM-5606, 1202 is square and plastic, light weight and ergonomic, where the 5606 is metal, lacquered, slender and round ..

47032098894_c41c06e8fa_k.jpgM&G AFPM-1202 and AFPM5606, on Flickr

Edited by Mech-for-i

• 1 month later...

Hero 580 circa mid 1990's

On with another show and tell , Moonman 80/80s/80 mini seems to delight and disappoint ( mostly the nib part ) and fortunately my original batch 80 was not bad at all , but then as history goes , let's trek back to mid 90's; and here we have Hero's 580 with 12K gold nib , developed from their 800, which itself is basically Hero's version of the Parker 45 ( not reverse engineered nor copies, since Parker gave Hero all the engineering stuff to do it ), the 800 is fairly straight forward P45 but with a better longevity ( never heard of a 800 having issue like shrinking plastic ) and heavier build ( metal parts ), then Hero had 156, and 159, and then even latter there's the up market variant in many different models and yeah - here's the Hero 580. The 580 fellow the basic same line and profile of the original P45 except its fatter but not longer; the 580 come in only 1 finishes, Satin Gold Guilloché ( VPD lacquered over ) with 23K plated appointment, C/C filling, typical P45 style feed/nib ( 12K gold ) but between that and the section now there spotted a gold plated trim ring which is held by the nib collar screwed down tight and serve as the sealing lip on the snap cap ( no longer slip on ), it write more a FM instead of F

46300327442_155fce0421_k.jpgHero 580, on Flickr

Edited by Mech-for-i