Chinese Pens Show And Tell.

Ian the Jock

I quite like the darker blue and the orange but at £12 we are getting into Picasso territory, and they take some beating at that price point.

Decent looking pens though, and if you are after something fairly light they could be just the job.

Ian

I can testify to that, had the orange version, so gorgeous, and the EF nib is almost Japanese EF , just a couple days ago I was at a local pen meet and giving all the guys ( old and young ) a Chinese pen crash course when they are all about Sailor, Pelikan, Montblanc and alike. Needless to say many are surprised with my collection and more so with how they write. They all agree that these newer Chinese Acrylic pens like the New Mooon, and my Ego-2 Solid Color are definitely eye candy materials, and at that price no other brand or model can rival in actual writing ( well with exception of the Platinum Preppy ) .. that really prompt me, I had to go dig up those old Chinese Half Demo and Demonstrator I had in store. Though I am not one who like demonstrator, but it seems the rage and hype right now and they all want to see it . You won't believe how many Twsbi I've come across that evening. and also a bunch of those big name demo(s)

Edited by Mech-for-i

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ian the Jock

• Mech-for-i

• Helen350

• truthpil

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lanbitou 3059:

fpn_1502831138__8etqs7a.jpg

A familiar look? No wonder, it clearly seems to be inspired by the TWSBi Eco, but with a twist.

I don't own an Eco so I can't compare the two but from the images I've seen, I'd say they must be very similar. A clear demonstrator with grey cap and piston knob. There were other options available (all clear, black, white, red, blue, yellow are the ones I can recall right now). The feed is also clear, a common feature on the latest demonstrator chinese pens.

The twist is that the pen comes with two nib options, EF nib (hooded) and F nib (Lamy Safari nib shape). Personally I find ugly the hooded nib so I went for the Lamy shaped nib. And here is where things get interesting. Of course the first thing I did was to check if a Lamy nib could fit. Sadly Lamy nibs were too loose to stay on the pen. Maybe they could fit more tightly if they were pushed on the feed but the procedure scared my and I didn't try it. There is also the possibility the feed on my pen was a bit smaller that the usual, maybe the general idea was to be compatible with Lamy nibs. Apart from that, the Hero nibs fit just fine (they are available in EF, F & M).

The really interesting part is that the feeds are interchangeable. So a Lamy nib+feed could be used (when not in use) on this pen. That way a variety of nib options are available to use, from an EF to a 1.9mm stub, allowing you to use broader nibs (something that chinese pens really need). On the other side, a clear feed could be used on a Al Star section, I tried it and it looks cool.

On the not so exciting parts. The clip is ugly. Not much to that, it's similar to those ugly clips from Jinhao 599. But what seems to be the biggest problem is the piston itself.

When it arrived the piston was not very smooth to say the least. I disassembled it and to my surprise I discovered that the seals were not made of rubber, but it was of the same material as the rest of the piston unit. The barrel is more narrow in the piston movement area and that way the sealing is made. Not trusting that, I applied some silicon grease on it. So far there were not leaks but it's not something I would trust.

I thought that because of the low cost there was that lack of quality on the piston seals. And that must be true as the pen will cost you less than 2$.

Lanbitou 3059:

fpn_1502831138__8etqs7a.jpg

A familiar look? No wonder, it clearly seems to be inspired by the TWSBi Eco, but with a twist.

I don't own an Eco so I can't compare the two but from the images I've seen, I'd say they must be very similar. A clear demonstrator with grey cap and piston knob. There were other options available (all clear, black, white, red, blue, yellow are the ones I can recall right now). The feed is also clear, a common feature on the latest demonstrator chinese pens.

I saw this on Taobao and you can actually see the words "TWSBI ECO" in the background of some of the photos.

Currently in rotation: Wing Sung 698/Diamine Blue Velvet, Wing Sung 618/Diamine Golden Oasis, Lamy Profil 80/Pelikan Edelstein Aventurine

The twist is that the pen comes with two nib options, EF nib (hooded) and F nib (Lamy Safari nib shape). Personally I find ugly the hooded nib so I went for the Lamy shaped nib.

This is something that annoys me with so many modern Chinese pens. The vast majority of pens with EF nibs (that aren't P51 clones) have one of three aesthetically unappealing and dull hooded nibs and in many cases there is, like with this one, an option of a nicer looking but too wide nib.

Слава Україні!

Slava Ukraini!

STR:11 DEX: 5 CON:5 INT:17 WIS:11 CHA:3

Wielding: BIC stick of poor judgment (-3,-5) {cursed}

Well it seems Demonstrators and Piston Fillers are in vogues these days, though I myself never warm up to the Demo hype , I do have some ; so after reading so many interested in the WS 618, I think I would introduce you all to my vintage early 80's half demonstrator in the form of a Rainbow 302 ( 2nd pic with a Hero 616 small for size reference )

36591767111_6ed9a56891_k.jpgRainbow 302 by Mech for i, on Flickr

36591778391_cf8c6256e9_k.jpgRainbow 302 / Hero 616 small by Mech for i, on Flickr

As far as some dimension goes, here's the numbers

9.0mm girth at the barrel & 11.8mm on the cap band

102mm Unposted

125mm Posted

120.5mm Capped

It did come in this light bright Mint green color as well as a military field green, burgundy ( a bright lighter wine red instead of usual dark colored ones ) and also suppose to be in a turquoise / sky blue too. Well I say suppose because no one seems to ever seen one so its either mis-info passed down or its marketed but never made. Its one of those rare vintage model that do not come in black. Judging from the photo above you would not have guess it but the Rainbow 302 incorporate one of the first integral feed / ink collector using the section as one single piece holder ( its got stop inside the section to prevent the feed and nib go too far into it

35896316864_a54a74ef80_k.jpgRainbow 302 disassembled by Mech for i, on Flickr

So this photo show the pen disassembled , the cap have nothing inside except the machined thread to put it onto the section, so I bother not to have it taken apart. You can see that its got a very simple and straight forward push / pull piston with a slender and long blind cap. The feed is of 4.1 X 25 mm ebonite construction with integral feed / ink collector buffer and the nib is a gigantic ( compared to other hooded nib ) 5..0 X 19.0 mm Fine . I believe the Youth 204 / 214 used this feed / nib combo also. And the piston is to my knowledge used in other pen models like the Ta Tung 717

36591802481_3044977c49_k.jpgRainbow 302 showing piston and blind cap by Mech for i, on Flickr

And here's showing the piston already put back together and onto the section, you can see the model name heat etched onto the clear plastic.

Edited by Mech-for-i

Thanks for this Mech-for-i.

You are imparting knowledge about Chinese pens that we were completely unaware of.

I think that we forget that fountain pens have been on the go for a long, long time in China just like everywhere else, in fact possibly longer, and your knowledge and detailed insights are invaluable.

Ian

Picasso 901B - Amorous Feeling. Nib: 0.5-0.6 (fine-med). Iroshizuku Kon-Peki. The nib on this Picasso is not as smooth as the nib on the Picasso 933 Avignon--has some feedback. Slimmer pen: Cap 11 mm; section about 9 mm.

Length capped 139 mm. Might be a bit slim and short for a large hand. It does post nicely, and is a beautifully looking pen. Attractive clip--very snug. This pen needs to be kept in a pen pouch to avoid scratching. Another lovely pen box.

fpn_1503603929__picasso901b.jpg

fpn_1503604318__picasso901box.jpg

fpn_1503604472__picasso901bsample.jpg

fpn_1503604784__picasso901b2.jpg

That is a very nice looking pen Helen.

Again, I've pondered over this pen on many occasions, and I'm glad you've said it's slimmer and maybe suits hands more dainty than my own chubby bangered mitts.

Although being a slim pen doesn't automatically rule it out, as I don't mind a slimmer pen.

I've been using my Picasso Gentleman all day today, and it's fab.

I kinda brushed over it somewhat, as it came at the same time as my 917, which stole the limelight a bit, but it is brilliant and has really grown on me.

I liked it to start with, but I'm only now appreciating how good an all round pen it is with extended use.

The nib is gorgeous and super smooth.

I fell off the wagon again the other day :D

While raking about I happened upon the Jinhao 675 (the orange number, like your Yiren) and before I knew it, it was on its way.

I don't even remember pressing the buy it now button. :D :D

Ian

"Amorous Feeling". That's a novel name for a pen. After the Amorous Feeling, the Churchman's Prescriptor may get involved.

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

That is a very nice looking pen Helen.

Again, I've pondered over this pen on many occasions, and I'm glad you've said it's slimmer and maybe suits hands more dainty than my own chubby bangered mitts.

Although being a slim pen doesn't automatically rule it out, as I don't mind a slimmer pen.

I've been using my Picasso Gentleman all day today, and it's fab.

I kinda brushed over it somewhat, as it came at the same time as my 917, which stole the limelight a bit, but it is brilliant and has really grown on me.

I liked it to start with, but I'm only now appreciating how good an all round pen it is with extended use.

The nib is gorgeous and super smooth.

I fell off the wagon again the other day :D

While raking about I happened upon the Jinhao 675 (the orange number, like your Yiren) and before I knew it, it was on its way.

I don't even remember pressing the buy it now button. :D :D

Ian

Oh, I do know how it feels to fall off the wagon. :) However, I have managed to 'avoid' looking at pens for the past couple of weeks. I'm desperately trying to be content with the pens I already own (for awhile). :blush: The 917 has been sitting in my Ebay basket for about 3 months.

"Amorous Feeling". That's a novel name for a pen. After the Amorous Feeling, the Churchman's Prescriptor may get involved.

The Picasso pens are proving to be real surprises. Not only are the pens attractive, the presentation boxes are lovely. The name for the 901 is novel--rather romantic. Maybe that is the look that attracted my attention. :rolleyes: I emailed the snap of it to my 'brother' in NY (who is very persnickety about how pens should look??). We spoke last nite, and he felt this one was interesting. He did express he would be afraid to take it out of the house. Normally, he is usually critical of many of my pens--too eclectic for his taste. :D He is ultraconservative! Now for the Churchman's Prescriptor innuendo :lticaptd:

Can't help laughing on this ....

Well!

My Hero Yangtze arrived this morning Helen, and guess what?

Mine has a blue stone in the clip instead of orange like yours, (maybe there are many coloured stones and we must collect them all). :rolleyes:

When I opened the packet I thought, Oh! It’s just a Wing Sung 590…but no!

It is significantly different from the 590 in 1 very important way.

I post my pens (always) and if it doesn’t post, it doesn’t play, with the exception to this rule being the 590 as when posted, it turns into a baseball bat, and you need a light with a moveable head to light the paper due to the total eclipse effect that occurs when using natural light.

The first time I used mine posted, I almost had my eye out….twice. :lol:

Anyway,

Where the Yangtze wins over the 590, is that the cap posts deeply onto the barrel and the pen, posted, becomes a more normal sized pen and there are no eclipse effects or eye poking shenanigans to detract from the writing experience.

The pen isn’t perfectly put together, with mould lines visible and squeaking barrel threads, but it writes very nicely and I assume that this was a mass produced, cheap pen for the masses, which could hold tons of ink and write when you needed it to, and in that respect, it does its’ job well.

If you are looking for a cheap, lightweight but large, durable pen, that holds buckets of ink, similar to the Wing Sung, but without the Elma Fudd look when posted, this could be the pen for you.

Pics n stuff.

fpn_1503930947__yangtze_3.jpg

fpn_1503931012__yangtze_text.jpg

size comparison to the Behemoth that is the Wing Sung 590

fpn_1503931063__yangtze_1.jpg

fpn_1503931101__yangtze_4.jpg

Cheers

Ian

Ian, like the blue stone. It is a workhorse, and holds a lot of ink! Glad you like your pen as well. Mine has been inked every day since it arrived, and is usually one of the two pens I use for the day. Love the color of that ink. :wub:

Ian, I had all my hair in 1980 too!

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

Bob

I have more now than I had then. :D

It's considerably greyer though.

Ian

Ian & Helen, just so you guys do not get it confused, but the Yangtze brand is not even affiliated with Hero, where one is located in Shanghai ( east shore of the country ) one is way out west; common daily use fountain pen from Yangtze is actually hard to find as their range mostly are for ink drawing / calligraphy as typified by the said model here.

Good stuff Mech-for-i, I did notice the lack of Hero branding, (no lotus flower) which is apparent on all of my other Heros.

Instead the pen carries Chinese characters which I assume is the Yangtze branding.

With Yangtze being the brand, would it have had a model name/number?

I can see why this would be a good pen for drawing, although the nib isn't particularly fine on it.

Thanks Mech-for-i, your information is invaluable.

Ian

Helen, I have no idea what the name is all about, but Noodlers Monkey Hanger is a really nice ink.

It shades really, really well, and it’s one of those inks that is affected by the paper you use it on, like Diamine China blue.

It looks really light on my Graffico paper yet looks darker and shades really well on this Oxford optik paper.

I really like it too, it’s along the lines of Florida blue and Mediterranean blue, which are among my favourite blues.

Ian