• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Luma

• PaperQueen

• amberleadavis

• lgsoltek

@ Lgsoltek: Can you do a writing sample with Alt-Bordeux? Thanks.

Not as thorough or nice as what Lgosoltek will provide, but here's a quick-n-dirty example, using a Speedball dip calligraphy pen, C-4 nib (which I haven't touched for nearly 40 years).

Color in the closeup photos is off, due to incandescent lighting, but the shading appears.

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh628/paperqueen1/Ink%20scribbles.png

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh628/paperqueen1/Photo%20Aug%2028%2012%2024%2014%20PM.jpg

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh628/paperqueen1/Photo%20Aug%2028%2012%2023%2027%20PM.jpg

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh628/paperqueen1/Photo%20Aug%2028%2012%2023%2039%20PM.jpg

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh628/paperqueen1/Photo%20Aug%2028%2012%2023%2056%20PM.jpg

Why are there fourteen samples of dark plum ink on my desk? Because I still haven't found the right shade.

Is that a problem...??? : : : sigh : : :

Update: Great. Finally found one I love (Lamy Dark Lilac) but I can't get more. Ah, life in my inky world....

PaperQueen! I greatly appreciate the sample. For some reason I can't seem to convince myself to get it but yet I keep coming back to it. If you had the option to purchase it again, would it still make your list?

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

PaperQueen, that looks great!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

@ Lgsoltek: Can you do a writing sample with Alt-Bordeux? Thanks.

I think I posted a comparison of Alt-bordeaux and Yama-budo a long time ago... Let me dig it out.

Here: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/275089-r-k-alt-bordeaux-and-iroshizuku-yama-budo/

Edited by Lgsoltek

Seeing your comparison makes me want to ink up with Yama Budo.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Thank you all for your comparisons! I love both the Alt-Bordeaux and Solfernino.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

For some reason I can't seem to convince myself to get it but yet I keep coming back to it. If you had the option to purchase it again, would it still make your list?

Just inked up one of the little j. Herbin demo pens and whipped off a review form (as soon as the drip test dries, I'll post it). To answer your question, no, it wouldn't make my purchase list. While wet, the color is rich, the shading is great...then three seconds later, it dries to a muted color with little perceptible shading.

PM me if you'd like the remainder of my Goulet sample vial. :)

Why are there fourteen samples of dark plum ink on my desk? Because I still haven't found the right shade.

Update: Great. Finally found one I love (Lamy Dark Lilac) but I can't get more. Ah, life in my inky world....

PaperQueen, that looks great!

:::blush:::blush:::blush::: Thanks!

Finally getting this uploaded---was sidetracked yesterday by sunshine and warm temps. :)

One lesson learned? That I shouldn't complete review forms until after using the ink elsewhere for a while. My opinions continued to shift with more use, thus the scratch-outs.

fpn_1440945654__rk_alt-bordeaux_no_corre

So do you feel differently about it after the review?

Not really. Am anxious to hear your thoughts, after trying the sample (will PM you in a couple of minutes).

From the sample the ever generous PQ sent me...

fpn_1441509825__2015-09-05_222204.jpg

This is written on Onion Skin paper with a 0.8 stub but other than that my experience was very similar to what PQ mentions in her review. The only thing that will make me want to buy it will be if I can reduce the flow so it puddles a little before drying. Like so:

fpn_1441510420__2015-09-05_223307.jpg

The flatness kills it for me but some do not mind it. If it were murky I could live with it but not love it completely.

Which pen are you using? This stub is a super dry writer... maybe I just need to open the flood gates?

Photos, please :D

Paperqueen, I love the idea of a standardized printed review form template. My research self just smacked my forehead for not thinking of that. I've just been getting into the ink side of this obsession (not sure why it took so long, I've gotten way too many pens over the years), and getting systematic seems helpful.

"We can become expert in an erroneous view" --Tenzin Wangyal Rinoche

Paperqueen, I love the idea of a standardized printed review form template. My research self just smacked my forehead for not thinking of that. I've just been getting into the ink side of this obsession (not sure why it took so long, I've gotten way too many pens over the years), and getting systematic seems helpful.

Can't take full credit---the idea came from others (both here and on other sites); I simply put my own spin on it. Feel free to download and use:

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s36/sh/4ffd05a1-c366-469d-b61e-d53a15dfa280/d62ea685e7965325/res/d0b333ab-16b0-4e47-bf38-1ee12a565eba/Ink%20Sample%20and%20Review.pdf

Enjoy!

Edited by PaperQueen