Which Pen? Can't Make Up My Mind!

AndyYNWA

Fountain pens are quite new to me and I still only have one pen, a Lamy AL-star with a fine nib. I like the pen, but I think it writes a bit too broad.

I have been looking around quite a bit lately for a pen with a nice fine nib and have now come down to the following pens:

• Pilot Prera
  • Platinum Cool/Balance
  • Sailor Procolor 500
  • Sailor 1911 Young

The problem I have is that these pens are not for sale in Sweden, hence I can't try them.
The Prera seems like a really nice writer and is also the cheapest, but I'm a bit worried it is a bit too small (I hate posting pens).
I'm worried that the nib of Cool/Balance isn't fine enough for me. Or is it?
I can't find many reviews of the Procolor, but it seems to be a bit "more pen" than the other two, but it aslo seem short (like the Prera).
The Young seems to be a good choice too, but it's streching my budget a bit too far.

Last option is an EF nib for my AL-star, but it would be nice with one more pen for my daily writing.

I would like to buy the pen from a retailer within the EU. For some reason the Swedish customs are quite picky when it comes to fountain pens, and I don't feel like paying 3.7% duty, plus 25% VAT.

What's your advice?

Edited by wimg

YNWA - JFT97

Instagram: inkyandy

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AndyYNWA

• Keyless Works

• Kataphract

• Alma

Top Posters In This Topic

I use a Prera but I have to post them.

I never got a good nib on the Sailor Procolor or 1911 Young but maybe that was bad luck.

The Platinum looks in my opinion kind of cheap and the nib has quite a tooth.

In the end I would use always the Prera (I got five of them) but I have to post them. I ordered them direct from Japan for 18 - 27 €, they arrived after 4 weeks.

Maybe I will try a Prera anyway...

They are 56 € from EU, about one week delivery. But I could save ~20 € (incl customs duty and VAT) if I order from Japan with snail mail.

YNWA - JFT97

Among the pens you've listed, I'd get the Pilot Prera.

Edited by FlyFast

We've got one Balance here so far (my wife took it from me), a fine, and it's a very pleasant-writing pen. It's definitely finer than a Lamy F nib.

Checking around a bit, you can get the Cool/Balance from Engeika in Japan for US$24, plus shipping, etc. I've purchased several pens from Engeika in the past year or two, and have had no issues either with the pens or dealing with the vendor. Worth looking at, anyway.

I've purchased several pens from Engeika in the past year or two, and have had no issues either with the pens or dealing with the vendor. Worth looking at, anyway.

I will take a look... Even some Sailors at good prices...

YNWA - JFT97

Browsing through Engeika and finding the Sailor Reglus. Never seen is before, but it definitely a pen in my tase.

Quite tempting to give it a try...

Gah! This is getting harder and harder...!

Edited by AndyYNWA

YNWA - JFT97

Love my Pilot Prera, but you will probably have to post it unless you tiny hands. The good news is it posts very securely and quickly. The fine nib will be the equivalent of a European EF. I'm not entirely sure though if it is made for International cartridges in Europe - if you order one from a Japanese source directly, I'm sure you will get the Pilot proprietary version, so, something to check up on.

Don't have the Platinum Cool, but Platinum fines tend to run even finer than most other Japanese nibs. Not familar with the Sailors.

Is the Pilot Metropolitan available in Sweden? I wouldn't purchase one of the low cost Sailors or Platinums. I haven't had any good ones. I also wouldn't buy a pen that is going to be too small for me. The Metro uses the same nib as the Prera but with a larger body at a cheaper price.

Is the Pilot Metropolitan available in Sweden? I wouldn't purchase one of the low cost Sailors or Platinums. I haven't had any good ones. I also wouldn't buy a pen that is going to be too small for me. The Metro uses the same nib as the Prera but with a larger body at a cheaper price.

It's only available with M nib in Sweden....

I've been eyeing Sailor Reglus (Industrial Revolution), do you think that is more of a step up? It's a bit over budget, but I guess I just have to save my money a little longer if necessary....

YNWA - JFT97

I use my Pilot Prera (F) everyday at work. Never skips. Never burps. Love it. Purchased it for $30 on Amazon some time ago.

Possible drawbacks:

• Typically needs to post to write comfortably
  • Very light weight; almost makes it feel cheap, but it's sturdy and well-made
  • Cheap packaging (but does that really matter?)
  • Low ink capacity with converter
I really like my Platinum Cool (M) fountain pen. I can leave it unused for months (please don't try this), with ink, and it will write the moment it touches the paper. Look slick with it's "demonstrator" appearance and feels solid both in body and nib. Good sized pen. Another pen with zero issues. Won it as a bid for $20 on eBay with free shipping, but I've seen it won for a low as $9 during work hours or holidays. Pretty good deal for a pen that runs for $50+ on other sites.

Possible drawbacks:

• Does not work well with "dry" inks
  • Higher ink flow than most Japanese fountain pens (matter of preference): this model lays down a thicker line
  • "Seal" cap that keeps the ink in the pen from drying out is visible (white)
  • Packaging looks cheap and cheesy (I don't care)
Both are fine choices, just a matter of what you are looking for.

I have Sailor fountain pens, but I have none of the models you noted. Keep in mind that Sailor nibs are a bit "toothy", but many, like myself, prefer the feedback.

Ink, a drug.

― Vladimir Nabokov, Bend Sinister

Instagram:
a.transient.life

How is the CON-20 compared to the CON-50?

As I understand it CON-20 is included in the opaque pens and CON-50 in the demonstrators, correct?

YNWA - JFT97

Pilot Prera from what I hear.They say it is a wonderful pen and a real workhorse. (I hope I make it to Sweden someday!

Anyone like Ray Bradbury? Please read "The Laurel and Hardy Love Affair" if you have about 12 minutes.

You will not forget this wonderful gem that is largely obscure and sadly, forgotten. http://bit.ly/1DZtL4g

It's only available with M nib in Sweden....

I've been eyeing Sailor Reglus (Industrial Revolution), do you think that is more of a step up? It's a bit over budget, but I guess I just have to save my money a little longer if necessary....

Ah that's too bad. I have never handled a Reglus so I am not sure how that pen is. If you are willing to order from Japan I would consider a gold nib Platinum 3776 Century or a Pilot Custom 74.

Browsing through Engeika and finding the Sailor Reglus. Never seen is before, but it definitely a pen in my tase.

Quite tempting to give it a try...

Gah! This is getting harder and harder...!

I've read some great reviews about the Regulus and really like the design. Assuming it is a bit larger than the Prera, I think that would be a good way to go.

The Prera, like all Pilot pens, is an excellent pen as well. However, I am not at all a fan of Pilots con 20 or con 50 converters as they hold very little ink.

I've read some great reviews about the Regulus and really like the design. Assuming it is a bit larger than the Prera, I think that would be a good way to go.

The Prera, like all Pilot pens, is an excellent pen as well. However, I am not at all a fan of Pilots con 20 or con 50 converters as they hold very little ink.

The ink capacity isn't that important to me. I like changing inks often, trying out new colors and brands. And I guess, because of the fine nib it will not consume too much.

YNWA - JFT97

How is the CON-20 compared to the CON-50?

As I understand it CON-20 is included in the opaque pens and CON-50 in the demonstrators, correct?

The con-20 is ugly, crude, and you can't see the ink remaining, but it holds more ink than the Con-50, and works reasonably well. The Con-50 is cooler, looks good in a clear pen, you can see the ink level...but doesn't hold a lot of ink. The good news is that if you are going to use the fine nib, you're not going to be going through ink fast.

Ah that's too bad. I have never handled a Reglus so I am not sure how that pen is. If you are willing to order from Japan I would consider a gold nib Platinum 3776 Century or a Pilot Custom 74.

I will take a look at these pens once again.

YNWA - JFT97