sannidh

I finally took the plunge finally and bought an Izumo (Tagayasan) after going through some lovely reviews from my fellow fpners. I could not find a review of the matte version at fpn before buying this. Here is also a link to my blog with some more pics:

Platinum Izumo Tagayasan - Matte Review

The Izumo series was launched in 2010 to celebrate the birthplace of Platinum’s founder Shunichi Nakata. The Nakata surname of course reflects in all Nakaya nibs. Coming to Izumo, the Izumo province is located in the eastern coast of Japan and is famous for its political history as well as making traditional Japanese paper out of vegetable fibres (a sample of which is also included in a paper roll). The two variants of Izumo pens are Urushi-on-ebonite and Wooden versions. I am reviewing one of the wooden versions here. Some of the other versions have been rather marvellously reviewed by Hari1(had got mine on his recommendation), Hari2, & atomic_doug at FPN.

This Izumo is called Tagayasan which literally translates into Iron Sword Wood (鉄:Iron 刀:Sword 木: Wood). More on this later.

PRESENTATION

The pen comes in a wooden box (IZU4000061) made of up Paulownia wood encased inside a handmade paper box. The box will itself feel very light which is characteristic of this wood along with high resistance to deformation, and it’s also used to make chests and boxes in Japan. This box also used for Nakayas and a few other premium pens of Platinum (Urushi Maki-e) with an RRP of JPY 50000 or greater.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-B7KYVFMlZuk/VdGlYG3u0fI/AAAAAAAAFIw/bfiUzb6WrBk/s1600/aPack.jpg

Once you open the satin lined top cover, you will find a green kimono encasing your Izumo, resting along with a standard platinum converter, a cartridge (though a complementary box was included by the seller), a paper roll made of traditional Japanese paper (Kiku) and a few other cards for maintenance & use. The one important out of them warns you against posting the cap. You will see later that there is a metallic insert for threading the cap and it might chip off the barrel wood, if posted.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-8y7BZXL4Goc/VdGlbpicYvI/AAAAAAAAFI4/ZSBvDhdR7zk/s1600/apack2.jpg

DESIGN - THE WOODEN CIGAR (6/6)

The Izumo Tagayasan comes in two finishes : Matte (PIZ-50000T #20) and Gloss (PIZ-50000T #21). The word Tagayasan in Japanese refers to a wood which is as hard as iron, and to my delight, I found that it was produced in India. The scientific name is Dalbergia latifolia and it’s more commonly known in India is Shisham or Bombay Black Wood. As the wood is hard, durable and resistant to termites, it’s used in India to make premium furniture.

The build is remarkably sturdy and for a wooden pen it’s heavy and quite comfortably so. You will find this to be a large pen and initially I was concerned about its dimensions. The wood has a dark brown appearance with still deeper streaks running horizontally across the length of the pen. The golden gleam coming solely from the clip supplies the pen with a simply amazing contrast. Doesn’t the pen look like a marvellous piece of art? I salute the Japanese craftsmanship behind this handmade pen.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-CbnpPdS3trg/VdGlCk3-zwI/AAAAAAAAFHQ/8qv7eCnqUPQ/s1600/DSC_5213.jpg

The cap feels substantial and unscrews with one and a half turns, revealing a stunning two-tone nib. The threads of golden glitter mark start of the grip section. The tapering of the section in someway ensures that your grip remains least affected by the metallic threads. Towards the nib a golden trim ensures the aesthetics remain singularly complete from top to bottom.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-iay_4sCJZyk/VdGlIEzHmRI/AAAAAAAAFHg/YIbcLvU1wTs/s1600/DSC_5237.jpg

The finial is in the shape of an elliptical dome and quite deftly conceals the clip-joint. The dazzling tension-fit clip is plated with gold and has some resemblance with a traditional Japanese double edged sword called Tsurgi or Ken. It sports the brand name of PLATINUM within a dome of etched squares. There is a smaller sculpted impression below mirroring the sword in the green kimono. The metallic thread insert inside the cap render the pen unsuitable for posting.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-wUo-EoodEso/VdGk-oEKD9I/AAAAAAAAFHA/AUqTHBzvq78/s1600/Cap.jpg

FILLING SYSTEM (5/6)

As a cartridge converter filler, the supplied convertor is limited by a volume of 0.6 mL although platinum cartridges have an advantage with capacity of 1 mL or more. The Izumo also takes in proprietary converters and like other Platinum pens and there is an adapter available for international cartridges/converters, whose production is currently stopped.

The proprietary converter does look good with its golden trims, but again you can see it only when you are filling up ink. The barrel unscrews from the grip section with four turns revealing the gold accented metallic thread section. The wooden barrel carries the opposite threads with a similar metallic insert, eliminating any chance of internal chipping of wood. The feed does draw ink even when the nib is not fully immersed inside ink.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-dcHnwGYCYs0/VdGlIK5ZYBI/AAAAAAAAFHk/h9ApMJDh1gc/s1600/DSC_5286.jpg

NIB - ALL THAT MATTERS (5/6)

The nib/feed section is friction-fit and comes in a 18k two-tone design across three stock widths of F, M & B. I like the design of these nibs.

Above the tail lies the brand imprint of PLATINUM specified with nib type i.e PRESIDENT (or 3776) along with nib-composition (18 K) and width (B). A hearty breather hole lies above the imprint. Three bands of rhodium decor run amidst the body and shoulders as an enhancement. These bands are limited to the tines. The nib lays a moderately wet and smooth line with a characteristic stiffness. I would have personally preferred a bigger nib given the price point of this pen.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-mgtpCTtzEdU/VdGlLj4bZcI/AAAAAAAAFHw/5vZCFh5ytsc/s1600/DSC_5297.jpg

The black plastic feed for the President nib has closely spaced fins and even with the cap open for a while, it does not take any effort to lay a nice and wet line.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-UIHq32QBusE/VdGlNmM-P8I/AAAAAAAAFIA/O461HSTuDOc/s1600/DSC_5304.jpg

PHYSICS OF IT (6/6) – RELATIVELY SPEAKING

A comfortable length and weight ensures that the cap doesn't need to be posted while writing. With a cosy girth of around 1 cm, it poses absolutely no problems with extended writing times.

• Capped Length ~ 16.5
  • Uncapped Length ~ 14 cm
  • Nib Leverage ~ 2.4 cm
  • Overall Weight ~ 38 g

Capped and uncapped comparisons with a pelikan m805 run below for your reference. You might be already noticing the giant cap with an elliptical dome finial, which contributes rather lavishly to the length of the pen.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-jAKoO_FBARE/VdGlSWvVgyI/AAAAAAAAFII/_pPe2OhEaYE/s1600/DSC_5317.jpg

Uncapped the Tagayasan is about 1 cm longer than a m8xx, making it a comfortable wooden companion. The threads at the section are located necessarily at an upper region of the section, which does not interfere with my grip, given the section taper.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-9Ig9nj0XF1M/VdGlXHtQicI/AAAAAAAAFIg/r0pKXytek58/s1600/DSC_5338.jpg

ECONOMIC VALUE (3/6)

The Izumo wooden versions - Tagayasan retail around US$ 600, though they are available at much lower prices around US$ 400 with known Japanese shops like Engeika or Rakuten. I expected a bigger nib at this price point and I do have a sinking feeling that the usual President nib does not do complete justice either to this pen or its price point.

OVERALL (5/6)

This stunning 18k nib is smooth but not buttery, with kind of a controlled glide. It’s blessed with a moderately wet ink flow. There is a subtle bit of line variation, the horizontals being a tad thinner than the verticals. The nib is as stiff as a nail. Though, there is a hint of softness with this nib.

Even being a wet writer out of the box, this Broad nib puts a line which takes around 30 seconds to dry on MD Paper. Ink used was Platinum Blue Black cartridge.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-AK8OBMu_L9E/VdGlWmqbz3I/AAAAAAAAFIc/fZWtb49MDOk/s1600/DSC_5343.jpg

REFERENCES

Platinum Izumos

Hari’s Review of the Gloss Version

Bombay Black Wood

Thank you for going through the review.

You can find some more pen and paraphernalia reviews here.

You have come to earth to entertain and to be entertained - P.Y

Some Pen & Paraphernalia Reviews

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sannidh

• Dhruv_Sood

• maverink

• flummoxed

Wonderful pictures and review, thank you Sonik.

The beauty of the Tagayasan is that no two pens are alike. A few of these pens have passed through my hands and I have retained one, no two were same and while I was looking at your lovely pics, I was thinking how different my pen looks from yours. No way that one can be mistaken for the other.

Best

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

^in what sense are they different from each other? Grain of wood and texture?

Soniknitr, how does the Izumo president non compare to pilot nib? Are they of the same length? I know that they differ in the width of line they put down.

I have mixed filings with platinum pens. I believe that the body of the platinum #3776 (bourgogne or chartres blue) does no justice to their nibs. With the Izumo is the other way around. It's a pity Platinum has no big nib like the Pelikan M1000 or even M800 or Pilot 845.

Excellent pictorial review. I would love to know what size of nib you expected to be suitable for the pen?

I have both glossy & matt versions. Glossy one I have used continuously for 6 months at a stretch & a newly acquired un-inked matt version. Both were recommended & from Hari. Mine are fine nibs. I am very satisfied with the look & writing comfort.

Enjoy your pen in good health.

Abhik

Stunning pen.

Thank you visvamitra.

Wonderful pictures and review, thank you Sonik.

The beauty of the Tagayasan is that no two pens are alike. A few of these pens have passed through my hands and I have retained one, no two were same and while I was looking at your lovely pics, I was thinking how different my pen looks from yours. No way that one can be mistaken for the other.

Best

Hari

Thank you Hari. I do not have another to compare, but I am very happy to know that. Sad that Platinum is not really presenting the uniqueness aspect, since these Izumos are also handmade by their craftsmen.

Best,

Sonik

^in what sense are they different from each other? Grain of wood and texture?

Soniknitr, how does the Izumo president non compare to pilot nib? Are they of the same length? I know that they differ in the width of line they put down.

Pilot nibs (#15) are longer but narrower than the president. Quality wise I find a fair bit of spring & inherent softness in the pilot nibs compared to platinum. refer the below pic.

Excellent pictorial review. I would love to know what size of nib you expected to be suitable for the pen?

I have both glossy & matt versions. Glossy one I have used continuously for 6 months at a stretch & a newly acquired un-inked matt version. Both were recommended & from Hari. Mine are fine nibs. I am very satisfied with the look & writing comfort.

Enjoy your pen in good health.

Abhik

Thank you for your kind feedback, Abhik. I am very happy to learn that you too are enjoying your Tagayasans. I too feel very comfortable with the Izumo Tagayasan. I would have liked something similar to first 2 nibs (softness + spring + size) in this below pic on the Izumos :), but again it's just a matter of personal preference. As you know, pics below can not do complete justice to the nibs, it's mostly while writing how you feel in terms of build & size.

I have mixed filings with platinum pens. I believe that the body of the platinum #3776 (bourgogne or chartres blue) does no justice to their nibs. With the Izumo is the other way around. It's a pity Platinum has no big nib like the Pelikan M1000 or even M800 or Pilot 845.

I somehow share the same feeling rafapa. The wider #3776 nibs are really great, but their stock pens/trims do not match their quality. And when it becomes Nakaya vs Izumo for urushi coated bodies, I am kind of divided on the investment when the #3776 nib (although untuned) comes for less than $ 100 or it's a President nib. (And Platinum should really come with a President+ nib for the Izumos like Sailor KOP)

Best,

Sonik

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag127/soniknitr/IMG_3548_zps5b8jiif1.jpg

Edited by soniknitr

Sonik : Congrats for the new Platinum pen ( its a recent buy or only the review is garden fresh ? ). Anyway, its a very well researched review. The pen is elegant. Enjoy.

Lovely pictures! I've just discovered the joy of a wooden pen recently (one naked and one coated/polished) and I've thoroughly enjoyed the feel in my hands. The grains make for a beautiful pattern and the pen looks stunning.

Sonik, thanks for the picture. I just came frome the office to have al look at the pen box to see if there was something missing. We share similar tastes. Something like the Kop nib is a better option.

I believe that the body of the platinum #3776 (bourgogne or chartres blue) does no justice to their nibs.

I somehow share the same feeling rafapa. The wider #3776 nibs are really great, but their stock pens/trims do not match their quality.

Pls do have a look at their Yakusugi, Celluloid, Shell Briar, Jupiter Ebonite models etc Top grade bodies and all of them sport the 14k 3776 nibs.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Pilot nibs (#15) are longer but narrower than the president. Quality wise I find a fair bit of spring & inherent softness in the pilot nibs compared to platinum. refer the below pic.

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag127/soniknitr/IMG_3548_zps5b8jiif1.jpg

Thank you for your answer. I have tried both pilot and platinum nibs and I prefer pilot too.

Although I have never had the opportunity of using a president nib since I have used an Izumo, I have a Nakaya to which I prefer the pilot nib.

Sonik : Congrats for the new Platinum pen ( its a recent buy or only the review is garden fresh ? ). Anyway, its a very well researched review. The pen is elegant. Enjoy.

Hey Pankaj..It's a recent buy, but I kind of like the 'garden fresh' tag :P

Pen is quite good and comfortable in my experience. Can recommend an Izumo :). Thank you.

Edited by soniknitr

Lovely pictures! I've just discovered the joy of a wooden pen recently (one naked and one coated/polished) and I've thoroughly enjoyed the feel in my hands. The grains make for a beautiful pattern and the pen looks stunning.

Thank you so much. Could not agree more with you or Hari on the amazing patterns.

Just curious if you feel more inclined towards writing with the unpolished wooden one vs the coated one? Coz my only other wooden pen (Elemento) does have quite a bit of varnishing on it.

Best,

Sonik

Sonik, thanks for the picture. I just came frome the office to have al look at the pen box to see if there was something missing. We share similar tastes. Something like the Kop nib is a better option.

If you bought very recently like me, the International CC adapter might be the only thing missing.. I guess we have similar tastes.

Edited by soniknitr

Pls do have a look at their Yakusugi, Celluloid, Shell Briar, Jupiter Ebonite models etc Top grade bodies and all of them sport the 14k 3776 nibs.

Thanks Hari. I was earlier quite inclined to order a blue celluloid one, but gave up on the quest as it was again the same #3776 nib. Seems this paradox works both ways :P.. Jokes apart, I would very much like a middle ranged plain urushi+ebonite model at a lesser price than the urushi Izumos.

Jokes apart, I would very much like a middle ranged plain urushi+ebonite model at a lesser price than the urushi Izumos.

unlikely. it would be a direct Nakaya killer.

unlikely. it would be a direct Nakaya killer.

I also thought the same. I kind of don't want a flower or a rabbit on even the mid range urushi+resin versions of #3776. Again it's off this topic, but are there any particular advantages of urushi+ebonite over the urushi+resin ones?

Thank you for your answer. I have tried both pilot and platinum nibs and I prefer pilot too.

Although I have never had the opportunity of using a president nib since I have used an Izumo, I have a Nakaya to which I prefer the pilot nib.

Wanted to know why you prefer pilot nibs over your nakaya? I am controlling an urge to get one. Are you using their fine nibs or something?

Edited by soniknitr

but any advantages of urushi+ebonite

looks nice, feels nice. Bare Ebonite: needs to be protected from UV, Urushi: same, needs to be protected from UV otherwise quite hardy. Tamenuri urushi technique gives a wonderful gloss which cannot be achieved by polishing bare ebonite alone, so it boils down to looks in my view.