Handwritten: Your Favourite Quotes

JLukeW

I have an old Italian translation of "All quiet on the western front" but I've never got around to read it, and now I prefer reading English-written novels in English. If I'm not accepted in a PhD program I'll be able to choose my readings from any genre so that would be a nice opportunity to read it..

By the way, this quote by Caesar always makes me snicker.

Pen: N/A with Lamy F nib.

Ink: Rohrer Klingner Sepia.

Paper: Clairefontaine.

fpn_1527158132__rk_sepia_cesare_veni_vid

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Freddy

• Bookman

• RoyalBlueNotebooks

• Inky.Fingers

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have an old Italian translation of "All quiet on the western front" but I've never got around to read it, and now I prefer reading English-written novels in English. If I'm not accepted in a PhD program I'll be able to choose my readings from any genre so that would be a nice opportunity to read it..

Switch the "VENI" to the end and it's a lot more fun.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Do you read German? I don't know how easy it would be to locate an untranslated copy of the book. Hitler was hostile to the book, and certainly would have suppressed it between 1933 and 1945. I don't know the publishing history of it in Germany after that. Maybe it's a bestseller now or required reading in the gymnasium.

Edited by Bookman

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

fpn_1527310768__measure_2.jpg

Edited by Bookman

Do you read German? I don't know how easy it would be to locate an untranslated copy of the book. Hitler was hostile to the book, and certainly would have suppressed it between 1933 and 1945. I don't know the publishing history of it in Germany after that. Maybe it's a bestseller now or required reading in the gymnasium.

It's included in the Canon of the modern Classics, so it's very often gone over during one's studies of literature, but my curriculum was mostly focused oh British literature.

And I don't remember German anymore, unfortunately.

The German title is "Im Westen nichts Neues". Never read it but it is a classic. Available in many Edition, with and without additional material for schools.

Found this quote I don't remember where, but it's great.

No wait a moment this is actually the title of a poem. Posting this here because I didn't write down anything else about it so it could be a quote.

Pen: Wing Sung 698 with Pilot Pluminix F nib.

Ink: Rohrer Klingner Verdigris.

fpn_1527367327__rk_verdigris_engle_books

I am reading the book, and stopped in my tracks for this thought. Isn't life sooo much like a book we have to re-live (re-read) over and over and over ?

TWSBI mini with 1.5mm nib that i improved a little, ink: Lamy Blue

post-113799-0-61996100-1527370392_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lamyrada

I'd love to read The Handmaid's Tale. It's said that the tv show adaptation is quite nice, but I'd like to read at least part of the novel first.

Anyway. This is good old Thomas Hardy. If it weren't for a University course, I would have never read anything by Hardy, most of his prose is full of anguish.

Pen: Sailor Pro Gear Slim H-FM.

Ink: Rohrer Klingner Alt-Goldgrun.

Paper: Clairef.

fpn_1527436558__rk_alt-goldgrun_hardy_te

I love the podcast series titled "Welcome to Night Vale." I started listening to it pretty early on, late 2012 I think. It belongs to the thriller-nonsense genre, the main voice actor is superb, and the writing is even more superb. I especially liked how well-cadenced and well-paced the narration is, so I can follow it without the need of transcripts. That's a very empowering fact for a non native speaker.

Ink: Rohrer & Klingner Alt-Goldgrun.

fpn_1527496929__rk_alt-goldgrun_wtnv_001

It's included in the Canon of the modern Classics, so it's very often gone over during one's studies of literature, but my curriculum was mostly focused oh British literature.

And I don't remember German anymore, unfortunately.

The German title is "Im Westen nichts Neues". Never read it but it is a classic. Available in many Edition, with and without additional material for schools.

It was my understanding that the work we outside of Germany have long accepted as a classic was banned during the Nazi years and then published in Germany after the war in an edited version. Is this edited German-language book a classic in Germany? Or did Germany finally allow an unexpurgated version to be published? I was concerned that a generation of kids being kept from a novel and taught that it's anti-German might have had lasting effects beyond that generation.

I'd love to read The Handmaid's Tale. It's said that the tv show adaptation is quite nice, but I'd like to read at least part of the novel first.

Anyway. This is good old Thomas Hardy. If it weren't for a University course, I would have never read anything by Hardy, most of his prose is full of anguish.

Ink: Rohrer Klingner Alt-Goldgrun.

Paper: Clairef.

fpn_1527436558__rk_alt-goldgrun_hardy_te

Got it for Kindle, I think for $3.00 or $0.99 . It is a very introspective narrative, have to go slow with it - many flashbacks and really, really interesting. I will watch the series later.

It was my understanding that the work we outside of Germany have long accepted as a classic was banned during the Nazi years and then published in Germany after the war in an edited version. Is this edited German-language book a classic in Germany? Or did Germany finally allow an unexpurgated version to be published? I was concerned that a generation of kids being kept from a novel and taught that it's anti-German might have had lasting effects beyond that generation.

As I understand it, the book was edited long before the war to make it look more like a report and add authenticity. Concerning the bann I guess it ended, like many other, right after the war. I have no answers to this. I'm no literature expert. :lol: The generation taught it would be anti-german is dying out. After the war anti-german was en vogue. It is still in some circles. Overall you also have to keep in mind that Germans asually don't fancy a that kind of patriotism that Americans do. For Germans American patriotism is kind of... weird, kitschy and a bit dubious.

A stationery store in my local hometown has 3 Caran d'Ache Chromatics that are sold at a third of their official price. I mean... what a woman's got to do in these circumstances? I console myself thinking that I'm not going back to pick up the Cosmic Black and Infra Red. Thank goodness the owner didn't order the pink or the green 5 years ago.. :P

Pen: Wing Sung 6359 F.

Ink: Caran d'Ache Chromatics Idyllic Blue.

fpn_1527592647__caran_dache_idyllic_blue

fpn_1527609419__dutyhonorcountry.jpg

Fred

..........Like the fella says in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had terror..murder..bloodshed..

but they produced Michelangelo..Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had

brotherly love....they had 500 years of democracy and peace..and what did they produce?

The cuckoo clock............

Harry Lime

{Hear the music}

I don't like to live with people who talk out loud by themselves. I love my mother but I also relish the peaceful and quiet moments.

Pen: N/A with Lamy M nib.

Ink: J. Herbin 1670 Rouge Hematite.

fpn_1527670240__j_herbin_1670_rouge_hema