Fine Nibs On Japanese Pens Vs Hero 616?

merrycitrine

Hello everyone!

I bought a Platinum Century 3776 in a medium nib and I am really liking the size of the nib. I found it to be much finer than my other japanese mediums though, such as the Pilot Metropolitan and the Pilot Kakuno. I also quite like the nib on Hero 616. However, I found the Century 3776 nib to be a bit toothy for my liking, while my 616 is fairly smooth I would say. How do the fine Pilot fine nibs compare? I was thinking of buying a Metropolitan in a fine nib but just wanted to check in, before I regret a purchase that will simply lie on my desk!

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sailor Kenshin

• edebill

• merrycitrine

• etaylor33

Merrycitrine,

I'm new to this game, having just received my two pilot metropolitan's less than a week ago. I purchased two, one is a fine nib, the other is a medium nib. I didn't know which I would prefer as I haven't touched a fountain pen in over fifty years,so I ordered both. I tried the fine first, on sketch paper and then the medium. I could definately see the difference in line width, but not a huge difference. I do, however, prefer the fine over the medium. I find I have to write a bit larger to accommodate the medium nib. I noted that most of the reviews of the Pilot Metropolitan stated that the medium is the same as most European and American fine nibs. That said, and with only the Metropolitan as my only experience, I prefer the Pilot Metropolitan fine. Any future purchases I may make in the future will be with the fine nib. I don't know if this was any help to you, I hope it was.

I have a Metropolitan and a Kakuno, both in fine. I'd say they're both slightly finer and slightly smoother than the 616. I haven't written as much with either one compared to the 616, but I think I already see some wear on the 616 nib. I could swear it's gradually writing a little broader as it wears down. The Pilot nibs don't show any signs of wear.

Hello everyone!

I bought a Platinum Century 3776 in a medium nib and I am really liking the size of the nib. I found it to be much finer than my other japanese mediums though, such as the Pilot Metropolitan and the Pilot Kakuno. I also quite like the nib on Hero 616. However, I found the Century 3776 nib to be a bit toothy for my liking, while my 616 is fairly smooth I would say. How do the fine Pilot fine nibs compare? I was thinking of buying a Metropolitan in a fine nib but just wanted to check in, before I regret a purchase that will simply lie on my desk!

My Platinum 3776 M is the toothiest nib I've ever encountered.

Have no experience with the Metropolitan in F, but the Met M is as smooth as my beloved, somewhat vintage, Hero 616s. I do have a Pilot Penmanship and several 78Gs with Fine nibs, and they were all far less toothy than the Platinum 3776.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

I bought a Platinum 3776 F which was very scratchy and I never used it. But just a week ago I worked it with grits ranging from about 4,000 to 12,000 and now it's the smoothest Japanese F nib I own. (Japanese F nibs are narrower than European F nibs)

The most important change I made was to round the extreme end of the nib. This is a part that I didn't realize mattered. It was the part that would touch the paper if the pen stood vertically on the page. But it did matter. It was digging in on the upstroke.

While doing this, I became more aware of the big difference the choice of paper can make. Paper choice has a greater impact with finer nibs.

I also became more aware of the greater effect of pressure with fine nibs. Lightening up made it write noticeably smoother.

Alan

Edited by Precise

The 3776 is very dependent on writing pressure. A light hand will give you a wonderful feel. The 3776 M and 616 have almost the same line width. The 616 needed some work to get it writing smoothly whereas the 3776 needed no work at all.

Of course ymmv...

A lifelong FP user...

Hello, all! I have a related question. I'm lusting after the turquoise Metropolitan that's due out next month, and can't seem to figure out how the nibs on the Metro compare to other Pilot nibs. I see that they're interchangeable with the 78G, Plumix, etc., but I'm looking for the tip size. Is the Metro fine similar to the 78G fine, or is it a "marketed to the westerners" fine?

Having a 3776 M, a Hero 616, and a Pilot Metropolitan F I can say this. The Metropolitan does have a pretty smooth nib. It is the smoothest Japanese fine I have (I own a Platinum Plaisir and Sailor Highace Neo). To be honest for $15 I'd say just get Metropolitan and see it for yourself and if you don't like the nib all of Pilot's pens below the Custom line have interchangeable nibs, so you can get yourself a 78G in broad or a Plumix and make a italic Metropolitan

Don't mind me, I like to ramble... A LOT