My Beloved Blue Merle Has Lost It's Blue . . .

Tas

Going through that OCD moment when deciding what ink to first fill a new pen I thought I'd go for an old fave but little used Organics Studio Blue Merle.

The remainder of my 1/2 bottle has no blue in it at all :( but instead has magically turned to a dead neutral grey.

I shook the bottle in case of separation / sediment etc but no joys. That lovely vintage blue element has disappeared.

Just thought I'd let you all know in case, like I was, you were saving it for a special occasion.

KWZI, if you have a spare moment . . . :D :D

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tas

• lapis

• fountainpagan

• RonLyke

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hmm.... Sorry about that. Maybe an oxidation? That shouldn't happen, of course, but being from a source of organics, that might have happened, like a "bad" wine.

Mine (ink as well) isn't old enough yet so it still has the right colour....

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Thanks Mike. :)

Knowing it was no longer produced I've been on the look out for a replacement.

Octopus Black isn't too far off and that Super5 Atlantic looks like it might be worth a go, if I get a windfall . . . :)

The shot I looked at of my Blue Merle is a note I made about a month go, which still looks bluish. A new swab made a minute ago looks a lot less bluish (oops....) but just as grey. Somewhere in between Diamine's China Blue and R&K's Porcelain Blue-White but both of those are likely by no means going to yield a replacement for you.. We'll have to look further....

'Ave ze nice nighto.

Mike

Thanks. I iz goin to beddo.

All day retouching has frazzzled my brain.

http://www.taskyprianou.com/me_asleep-pooped.jpg

I just bought some at the DC show. Hope it's OK.

Edited by RonLyke

Interesting that the ink can change colors just sitting in its bottle! I haven't had that happen to any of my lovely inks so far, but I imagine it's quite a possibility.

Anyhow, I'm terribly sorry for you loss!

fpn_1434432647__fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pinks-bottle_200x159.jpg

Check out my blog at Inks and Pens

I just bought some at the DC show. Hope it's OK.

Well found ! It used to be one of my faves. Enjoy it . . .

Interesting that the ink can change colors just sitting in its bottle! I haven't had that happen to any of my lovely inks so far, but I imagine it's quite a possibility.

http://www.taskyprianou.com/fpn_old_blue_merle.jpg

"old" Blue Merle, and a sad old Tas in the middle. Still every cloud and all that. This is a lovely grey . . . :wub:

Thanks for the proofs (as in "proofreading"), Tas. Mine has also reached old age. It's about two-thirds of the way between its youth (seen to the left) and the now-senile. No wonder it was discontinued.

Definitely. I've never had it with blue ink as far as I know, but it has happened to me with ink in the brown-red range.

The current Sheaffer Skrip Blue-Black isn't too dissimilar, I reckon.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

just imagine our FPN chapter experience when some of our members found out that their private reserve copper burst turned to green.... yes brown to green :< we reckon the dye simply degraded while in the bottle...

Edited by Algester

Hold on... that copper's bursting proved to be the real McCoy. You know, its colour turned green just like the most beautiful church spires did after they got enough oxygen and CO2 out of the air, and they didn't do that overnight, yeah?

Any other spires out there?????????????????????

Hold on... that copper's bursting proved to be the real McCoy. You know, its colour turned green just like the most beautiful church spires did after they got enough oxygen and CO2 out of the air, and they didn't do that overnight, yeah?

Any other spires out there?????????????????????

some happened overnight... like 1 day it was brown the other day its green... <_< :< well good t hing I didnt get me some PR inks :3

I am going to recommend the ink that migo984 very generously sent a sample of: Blackstone Blue from Australia. HERE is a sample FPN review. I offer this because I used this ink recently in correspondence and my correspondee pointed out the similarity. I've never seen nor heard of Blue Merle, so I am only acting as conduit in this.

Actually, now that I think about it, I have a sample of a vintage Parker Quink blue-black that is basically completely gray right now. It may be the same effect that Tas has with the Blue Merle.

fpn_1434432647__fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pinks-bottle_200x159.jpg

Check out my blog at Inks and Pens

The same happened to me with a Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black. I now have a greenish grey.

Actually, good thinking. I'll dig mine out as a replacement. Mine was always a washed out greyish colour. Hated it at first but then after using it in a Pelikan M30 the two have become married.

http://www.taskyprianou.com/fpn_pelikan_blue_black_swatch.jpg