Twsbi Eco Cap Falling Off

PaperQueen

How about putting a few wraps of thread under the back o-ring to make it sit a little higher for a tighter cap posting?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Drone

• spaceink

• PaperQueen

• Srestrepo1112

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I see there is still no "cap posting joy" with the ECO. This is unfortunate for me and others that prefer posting their caps, and rather disappointing for a pen that was advertised as being able to post - unlike the 580 which was not designed to be "postable" (made up the word, but it seems to work here, lol) and TWSBI never made such a claim.

The only reason I can see why TWSBI might consider a redesign of the ECO cap/O-ring set up is because the pen was supposed to allow secure posting of the cap and it doesn't do what it is supposed to do, but that is rather a slim hope. And a redesign might mean an increase in price, too, so they might have to change the model name. :P

I still kind of want one of the white ECO's, but I may just have to hold out for that elusive TWSBI Mini-Vac pen that they have teased us with for years now. It's a Mini, a pocket pen - surely it will be "postable," otherwise, who will be able to use it?!?

Holly

So I wrote twsbi because I had seen hints towards a vac mini. I got an email response that indicates that it will be available by year end. The response cam from phillip Wang.

So I wrote twsbi because I had seen hints towards a vac mini. I got an email response that indicates that it will be available by year end. The response cam from phillip Wang.

While you were communicating with TWSBI, did you mention this Eco cap posting problem and if-so, what was their reply?

While you were communicating with TWSBI, did you mention this Eco cap posting problem and if-so, what was their reply?

No, I haven't written them about that. I'll just do that right now since you reminded me.

Watch the Eco video review in this thread:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/294172-twsbi-eco-video-review-from-the-nibsmith/

or watch it direct on YouTube:

https://youtu.be/BSlIlmT-ZFc

In this video the reviewer (Dan Smith I think) shows it right - how the Eco cap falls off. I hope TWSBI watches this.

I emailed twsbi again. Phillip Wang responded that their solution is to keep the o-ring clean and free from dust so that it may grip the cap better when trying to post. Not very satisfied with this but it's what I've got. I guess I'll just use that one less...

I emailed twsbi again. Phillip Wang responded that their solution is to keep the o-ring clean and free from dust so that it may grip the cap better when trying to post. Not very satisfied with this but it's what I've got. I guess I'll just use that one less...

Huh. My caps began popping off (as in "launching themselves off the pen") the in only a couple of weeks. Can't imagine the O ring picked up so much dust in my pen cup that it prevented capping.

Sad to hear that was the response.

Edited by PaperQueen

Why are there fourteen samples of dark plum ink on my desk? Because I still haven't found the right shade.

Is that a problem...??? : : : sigh : : :

Update: Great. Finally found one I love (Lamy Dark Lilac) but I can't get more. Ah, life in my inky world....

If this is really a pneumatic issue as suggested, perhaps someone handy could drill a hole through the outer cap? In plain sight would give a vintage look, or it could be obscured by the clip?

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

Dang, that's not the solution at all! I'm sad to hear TWSBI is going to simply shrug off this defect in design. Anyway, thanks for passing on the information.

Regards, David

If this is really a pneumatic issue as suggested, perhaps someone handy could drill a hole through the outer cap? In plain sight would give a vintage look, or it could be obscured by the clip?

Yes, drilling a hole in the cap to relieve pressure may help solve the posting problem, but that creates a problem too... The cap is no longer sealed when capped; so the nib will dry out. That is the whole purpose of a properly designed cap liner, to seal the nib and feed when capped, while letting the pen post properly. This is something TWSBI doesn't understand at all. But then again, it seems TWSBI has some kind of vendetta against pens that actually post properly.

I'm so angry right now. I'm sitting here with my Eco. I can just shake the pen mildly for a few seconds after capping - and the cap will fly off. And TWSBI's solution is to simply "clean off the O-Ring"? Baloney.

Edited by Drone

What I've been trying to do is, understanding that pressure builds inside the cap, I'll keep pushing it down on the pen twice or so in hopes that maybe at some point instead of pressure it forms a very small vacuum as the cap starts to slide off. Keeping in mind of course not to push so hard so as to damage the threads. So far so good. Also I saw somewhere someone put some clear tape on the inside of the cap above the threads and that supposedly that helps with the posting problem... I don't know. My godson thinks the pen looks awesome and his hands are diminutive so I'll probably give him my eco since I'm enjoying my 580 so much!

Yes, drilling a hole in the cap to relieve pressure may help solve the posting problem, but that creates a problem too... The cap is no longer sealed when capped; so the nib will dry out. That is the whole purpose of a properly designed cap liner, to seal the nib and feed when capped, while letting the pen post properly. This is something TWSBI doesn't understand at all. But then again, it seems TWSBI has some kind of vendetta against pens that actually post properly.

I'm so angry right now. I'm sitting here with my Eco. I can just shake the pen mildly for a few seconds after capping - and the cap will fly off. And TWSBI's solution is to simply "clean off the O-Ring"? Baloney.

I mean like an traditional fountain pen, do you follow? A hole in the outer cap only, not in the cap liner/inner cap. The eco is advertised as having an inner cap, which does the job of sealing the nib from the air. You leave that alone, and have the hole going through the outer cap. Check out this lovely old Orium cap for an example.

post-29904-0-51037500-1446830717_thumb.jpg

I've jacked up the brightness to show the hole in this Duofold AF, which coincidentally I'm totally not selling on eBay right now. See the hole? The inner cap is further up inside.

post-29904-0-40019400-1446830932_thumb.jpg

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

Ok, but just for the record, I tried doing a quick rinse of the back o-ring and wiping with a paper towel, and it did help. It is posting without rattling again. Not that I care that much because I still wont post it. I think it's probably a good explination that pressure builds, but when the pen is new, the o-ring is tacky enough to withstand it. A few days or so in a pocket and it loses it's ability to counteract the pressure because of buildup. The thing I wasn't seeing in the posts above was people saying they actually tried the solutions offered. And for me, it would appear to be at least a temporary fix.

Edited by bongo47

"We can become expert in an erroneous view" --Tenzin Wangyal Rinoche

Kind of bothers me that they're shrugging off the problem like that, at the expense of the pen's reputation. If you see posts asking for first-time pen recommendations, this issue is becoming more well known as a defining, first-thought characteristic of the ECO. I still recommend it, but I always have to mention that it may need a DIY fix for the cap issue.

Speaking of which, I stand by my simple tape fix. It has been more than a few months and the cap is very secure when I post:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/295342-twsbi-eco-cap-falling-off/?p=3441270

• 1 month later...

Anyone recently bought the pen? Am curious if this issue has been fixed by TWSBI in their more recent stock, as I'd like to give/recommend this pen to people over the holidays but am afraid my friends will experience the cap issue.

Anyone recently bought the pen? Am curious if this issue has been fixed by TWSBI in their more recent stock, as I'd like to give/recommend this pen to people over the holidays but am afraid my friends will experience the cap issue.

I am watching this issue since my Eco caps are popping off. But I've seen nothing new from TWSBI on this in the usual places - so-far. AFAIK TWSBI hasn't even acknowledged there is a problem. However, TWSBI has an excellent record when it comes to Customer Service (in my experience). I think we will probably hear from them about the Eco & cap-posting; eventually.

Keep in-mind however, not all people seem to be having a problem with the caps coming off. However, in my-case, I have two Eco pens and I do not consder the caps on either pen to post securely. I always post my pens, and I do carry them about actively (not all FP users are like this).

For now I would not recommend that you advise friends to buy the Eco for others, just in-case the cap issue crops-up and results in buyer and/or owner-remorse. However, for close friends and/or family members, I would not hesitate gifting an Eco pen or two for Christmas. After all, the cost of the pen isn't going to break the bank; and with close friends, expectations are easier to manage.

Happy Holidays, David

Edited by Drone

I usually don't post my pens but have been posting my ecos.

My hands are very small and are completely clear of the cap when writing. So far (I've had them about a month) I haven't had the cap come off at all.

Edited by lacie

I've read a lot about this, and the two issues that I see over and over again are: 1) the piston knob is not tightened all the way down (this is by far the most common cause of a posting issue). 2) the o-ring is too compressed (this is something that occurs less frequently, but is bound to happen over time).

I do not post often as I think that the pen is too long posted, but I like to know that I can. I like the Eco, and TWSBI in general, but it seems like a lot of these little design flaws pop up fairly regularly with their pens. Individually they are not big enough issues to really anger too many folks, but taken all together they really make me start to question TWSBI's R&D as well as their QC. It seems like their issues are things that you would find in products that were not tested enough before they were sent to market. From what I have read TWSBI is pretty good about fixing or replacing problem parts, but should their ability to fix or replace parts be so well known? Shouldn't a good pen company be more well known for having pens that do not need fixing or replacing? This posting issue may not be too wide spread yet, but it just adds to my uncertainty about the quality of their pens.

You can most likely replace the o-ring at a hardware store, but I would also contact TWSBI and have them send you a new o-ring (they provide extras with some of their pens, just not the Ecos). It's their design flaw, they should be the ones to fix it.

Edited by jabberwock11

Wasn't it a very weird decision in the first place to use an O-Ring for posting? I also wonder how that came to pass; especially given how long it took to get the pen to the market, one would think they'd catch such issues.