Twsbi Eco Cap Falling Off

PaperQueen

Well...my adoration for the TWSBI Eco may be waning a bit. In spite of my loving care for both (black and white), the white one refuses to stay posted. The cap feels snug and firm when initially posted, but a moment later, it falls off. Again. And again.

Another FPN member shared their video review mentioning the problem, but it was so soon after the Eco release, many of us assumed his pen may have been an anomaly. Now that mine has gone from a perfect poster to one that spits off the cap (less than a month's worth of use), I'm curious as to whether or not other Eco owners are finding the same...?

So bummed.

Why are there fourteen samples of dark plum ink on my desk? Because I still haven't found the right shade.

Is that a problem...??? : : : sigh : : :

Update: Great. Finally found one I love (Lamy Dark Lilac) but I can't get more. Ah, life in my inky world....

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Drone

• spaceink

• PaperQueen

• Srestrepo1112

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Except for TWSBI Mini and Rosetta Napoleon, I don't post the cap. However, the ECO nib is friction fitted. Mine is short on friction. The nib comes out too easily.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

My immediate thought: swap the O ring for a thicker one?

This may be a dopey question, but how would one know (1) what O ring to get, and (2) where would one find said O ring...?

Edited by PaperQueen

Why are there fourteen samples of dark plum ink on my desk? Because I still haven't found the right shade.

Update: Great. Finally found one I love (Lamy Dark Lilac) but I can't get more. Ah, life in my inky world....

I'm curious about which O ring to get, as well.

The loose cap issue is, by far, the thing I like least about the ECO, an otherwise near perfect pen.

I'm a cap poster, as I often carry my pens beyond the writing desk and need a secure place to quickly put the cap when out and about. Posting makes it easier than putting the cap into a pocket. As I've said in a different thread, most pens of mine don't have this silly loose cap issue, and I think it's a flaw likely from having two thin an O ring.

Edited by spaceink

This may be a dopey question, but how would one know (1) what O ring to get, and (2) where would one find said O ring...?

(1) take it off & measure it, (2) eBay!

On the other hand, you've only had the pen a month, perhaps TWSBI would send you a replacement?

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

How big are your hands? Mine are medium sized so a posted Eco is too long and unwieldy; unposted it's perfect. But yeah, I have to keep an eye on the cap so it doesn't wander off.

I don't post mine it's a full sized pen and doesn't need to be posted.

Since you have two did you try switching the caps and see if that made a difference?

No, since one's white, one's black.

And...sadly...the black one is doing the same thing now. :::urgh:::

Edited by PaperQueen

For what it's worth..I have been usin' me Eco for twenty six days

and it posts securely..without any other issues..no problemo..

This of course is my personal experience and clearly others

have had different.........................If I had any issues..would

contact the manufacturer to resolve 'em.........

Fred

by the way on me fifth refill of Diamine Blue-Black ink

I'm a cap poster, as I often carry my pens beyond the writing desk and need a secure place to quickly put the cap when out and about. Posting makes it easier than putting the cap into a pocket.

Hold the cap in your non-writing hand?

There may be too much variation (on any lot made) on the tolerances on both cap and barrel or just one of them to cause this in a ceratin amount of pens. Mine fits securely, snug all the time. (BLACK)

This happened to me last week and I realized that the piston knob was about a turn and a half too loose. Just enough to prevent whatever critical part of the cap grips the O-ring. Once I realized it, I tightened the knob and now all is well again.

Chris

Carpe Stylum!

Very curious about what has been called here as a snug fit because mine certainly doesn't do that. My cap basically slides off if it hits the V above my thumb and index finger, or if the pen is in swift motion.

I shouldn't be able to shake loose my posted cap (none of my other non-vintage pens do this, and even a cheaper vintage like my No Nonsense posts way more securely). A shame, as this is my first TWSBI and the pen is out of my rotation because I don't want to lose my cap when I'm out there, swiftly taking notes for my work.

I was recommending this pen to interested newbie pen folk but am refraining until this issue has been resolved.

Edited by spaceink

You can take the O-ring to Lowes or Home Depot and have an employee help you find one the same diameter but a size thicker. They have mad O-rings at home improvement stores.

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

Very curious about what has been called here as a snug fit because mine certainly doesn't do that. My cap basically slides off if it hits the V above my thumb and index finger, or if the pen is in swift motion.

Same here, with both Ecos, from the simple motion that comes with writing. They just jitter off, then :::plunk!:::

You can take the O-ring to Lowes or Home Depot and have an employee help you find one the same diameter but a size thicker. They have mad O-rings at home improvement stores.

Thanks for the info. Looks like a trip to the hardware store is in my future. :)

I believe I've found an easy DIY solution for those of us afflicted with this loose cap issue:

1) I cut a strip of regular scotch tape just wide enough to cover the ridge inside the cap where the O-ring would fit, but not so wide that it would cover the threads. The strip should be about the length of the circumference of the O-ring.

2) Using tweezers, I lowered the strip to line up with the inside of the cap. With the eraser end of a pencil, I pressed the strip to adhere firmly to the inside wall of the cap.

3) Now post the cap to check to see if you can feel improvement in the fit, so that the cap is more secure. If necessary, put on another layer of tape. Mine needed two layers for a good, tight fit.

For me, the tape eventually got pushed a little further up, so that I could feel a bit more resistance in the threads when I screwed the cap on. Thinking that it might even help the cap be even more air-tight.

Hope this works for everyone else.

Edited by spaceink

Personally I don't post my caps, I've tried it on all my pens and I always end up taking it off. I could see it being an irritant if you prefer to post your pens, but I wouldn't stop recommending the eco just because of a posting issue. The pen is a good value for the money and being able to post or not post the cap doesn't affect the functionality of the pen. I would explain to anyone I'm recommending the pen to about the issue and leave it at that.

So space and time are linked together. As we are looking across space, we are looking back in time. The further and further away those stars are the further back in time you are looking. Now you are seeing a star that is say six thousand years ago. Imagine somebody at that star looking at us They would be seeing us as we were six thousand years ago. Which of those two is now? - Alan Parsons Project The Time Machine - Temporalia (Paraphrased)