Only One To Dislike Tomoe River?

mkeeley

I've never tried Tomoe River paper, but I have been curious about it. From what people are saying it sounds like onion skin paper (no feathering, no bleed-through, thin, translucent, very smooth). Would people who have used both TR and onion skin agree with that assessment or are there major differences?

Science is a way of thinking much more than it is a body of knowledge.

--Carl Sagan

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Newjelan

• DaveBj

• inkstainedruth

• MKB

I've never tried Tomoe River paper, but I have been curious about it. From what people are saying it sounds like onion skin paper (no feathering, no bleed-through, thin, translucent, very smooth). Would people who have used both TR and onion skin agree with that assessment or are there major differences?

I got a letter written on onion-skin, with an enclosed sample. Tried it, did not like it at all. TR is much better.

Until you ink a pen, it is merely a pretty stick. --UK Mike

My arsenal, in order of acquisition: Sailor 21 Pocket Pen M, Cross Solo M, Online Calligraphy, Monteverde Invincia F, Hero 359 M, Jinhao X450 M, Levenger True Writer M, Jinhao 159 M, Platinum Balance F, TWSBI Classic 1.1 stub, Platinum Preppy 0.3 F, 7 Pilot Varsity M disposables refillables, Speedball penholder, TWSBI 580 USA EF, Pilot MR, Noodler's Ahab 1.1 stub, another Preppy 0.3, Preppy EF 0.2, ASA Sniper F, Click Majestic F, Kaweco Sport M, Pilot Prera F, Baoer 79 M (fake Starwalker), Hero 616 M (fake Parker), Jinhao X750 Shimmering Sands M . . .

31 and counting :D

DaveBj

I love the way TR sounds and feels when you turn the page.

It bends and floats like no other paper.

I find it more tactile than other papers.

TR paper is softer and has a "wetter" feel than onion skin paper. Both papers are thin but that's where the similarity ends IMO.

I love the way TR sounds and feels when you turn the page.

It bends and floats like no other paper.

I find it more tactile than other papers.

And it also smells beautiful.

I remember having onion skin paper in the house growing up, mostly for using in a typewriter. About all I can say in comparison to Tomoe River paper is that they're both thin, and off-white.

I think of onion skin as being sort of textured-looking, sort of like a thin version of watercolor paper but with less tooth (although that might just have been the watermark). Tome River paper, OTOH, is super smooth.

I think I saw a small pack of onion skin paper in the house (possibly in the vicinity of my husband's office, or in the rolling cart with drawers that I got to hold various types of paper and print-on labels for the color laser printer). Not sure where it came from (I suspect someone that my husband knows or works with was giving it away, because I don't remember seeing any when I cleaned out my dad's house a few years go (had to take away a lot of stuff like my mother's un-sold manuscripts -- boxes and boxes of them; I'll have scrap paper till the end of time...).

What neweljean said about onionskin is pretty much on the nose -- I think of it as being "crisper" somehow

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I purchased the onion skin paper from The Paper Mill Store (or, rather, got a sample) and it is not like what I remember of typewriter onion skin paper (but the last time I saw that was well-over 20 years ago, so maybe I'm off about that). This is closer to something like a glassine envelope or vellum, but less crisp. It's very smooth and translucent, there is very little, if any, tooth to it but it somehow doesn't feel as slick as the paper in my new Clairfontaine French-ruled notebook.

I suppose I should get a sample of the Tomoe River and do my own comparison!

Science is a way of thinking much more than it is a body of knowledge.

--Carl Sagan

I've tried TR and I'm not a huge fan, I simply really don't like the long dry time (HP 32 lb is much better that way) and I'm not fond of how TR paper feels so there's that. If I was carrying a huge notebook around every day I'd probably be more interested in TR just because of the light weight (lighter printer paper also works fairly well for large notebooks) but for now I prefer heavier papers.

Edited by WirsPlm

• 5 years later...

Does anyone think Mnemosyne, for writing, is much better than any of the other fountain pen friendly papers? I judge nibs and paper the same way. I ask myself is there a decided effort to writing with this pen on this paper? Is there a loud noise coming from this paper? Am I pushing gravel across the page? Am I waiting a significant amount of time [measurable amount] for the ink to dry? If the answer is yes then bye bye to the paper and test the pen on Mnemosyne.

The Japanese understand sometimes we want to remove a page in a notebook without having to find another tool or risk other catastrophic injury........thus the perforation. 

I don't know but I always seem to be missing the obvious. 

• 5 months later...

It has been too long for me to update my previous post above. I have had more of an opportunity to try the TR paper and it is so nice. I go right for the 52gsm and punch my own holes to add it to a notebook. I still love Mnemosyne but now I'm disappointed TR is going away. It is extra wonderful paper.

I think most people have a few favourite papers. I am a dedicated Clairefontaine man but I also like and use Apica, Rhoda and a few cheap options from Daiso. TR is beautiful to write on but I can't get to like the thinness and showthrough of the paper.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png