Blue-Black Ink For Everyday Usage (Lamy Safari)

Wahrheit415

:W2FPN:

If you want to write on cheap paper and want a certain amount of water resistance, I would recommend Hero 232 Blue Black. You can find it at rather low prices on the Bay.

+1

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ac12

• mirosc

• usk15

• DrDebG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ESSRI tends to run more on the black of the blue-back, and its cheap. Diamine registers is similar, but a bit more pricey. Both go down with a good dark blue, but due to their Fe content, turn a grey black over a couple of days (or seconds, I find that iron gall can be picky. Platinum Blue black turns a deep blue on moleskine paper, but on copy paper tends to stay more blue. As always YMMV).

I am surprised no one mentioned Daimine Registrar ink. It is the best Blue Black that I ever used,

I think of my FPs as my children.

one more vote for Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black. The best behaving blue-black, plus it's looking really nice.

Diamine Midnight is also nice, but dry time and behavior on bad paper is a bit worse than Pelikan.

and a lot of IG inks (ESSRI, Salix,...)

Greetings,

Michael

one more vote for Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black. The best behaving blue-black, plus it's looking really nice.

Diamine Midnight is also nice, but dry time and behavior on bad paper is a bit worse than Pelikan.

Sadly, writing 4001 Blue-Black with my Fine Faber-Castell Ambition (same nib a Loom and Basic) just turns it a medium gray. Maybe you need some more wetness or width to get to the blue and/or black.

"We are one."

– G'Kar, The Declaration of Principles

Pilot Blue Black is the ink I would pick for under $15. Personally, I love Iroshizuku Shin-Kai. You can sometimes find it on Amazon for ~$20.

• 2 months later...

My favorite blue-black is also one of the cheapest Parker Quink Blue-Black.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

post-31987-0-69526600-1446498997_thumb.jpg

contaxrts2

Edited by contaxrts2

Sheaffer blue-back is surprisingly dark out of a wet pen. But out of a dry pen, it is more of a greyish ink. So how the ink flows out of YOUR pen will make a difference with many of the inks.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Lamy blue-black, even the new non iron gall formulation, is pretty good, inexpensive, and comes in really nice bottles. The Pilot blue-black is good but is one of the least lightfast inks I've ever tested. Salix is good, on the blue side, as is the Platinum, and the Sailor Jentle blue black is very good and very dark it's a lot like the Pilot but with greater lightfastness, but is a bit expensive. I haven't had much luck with Diamine Registrar's ink, it is the driest ink I've ever used. I really like Noodler's Legal Lapis, it is very well behaved and absolutely bulletproof but is more of a dark teal, much like the Parker Quink but much darker and it doesn't fade and wash out as the Quink will.

For bad paper I would suggest an iron gall ink as long as you don't mind cleaning out your pen slightly more frequently. IG inks tend to reduce feathering and bleed through while also offering fantastic water resistance. The other nice thing is that as an IG ink oxidizes it will become darker and turn to much more of a black-blue color. Diamine Registrar's Blue-Black or the old Montblanc Midnight Blue would be worth looking at as well as Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black. I think Akkerman also offers an IG blue-black.

Edited by Abner C. Kemp

Diamine makes an IG ink, I use Chesterfield Archival Vault and Hero 232 Blue Black, the later a bargain.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

I have three blue-black ink, like them all, its al in the same color range, bluish grey. Sailor Blue-Black, Diamine Prussian Blue and Caran d'Ache Night Sky.They perform almost the same, although Diamine Prussian blue is a bit more wet than Sailor, just slightly,barely noticeable with a fine nib, more prominent when I made some swabs.

• 1 month later...

I have PE Tanzanite, Iroshizuku Shin-Kai, Noodler's 54th Massachusetts, and Pilot Blue Black. The Pilot Blue Black is my favorite and it has some water resistance.

I'm a huge Sailor ink fan but I prefer the Pilot Blue Black to the Sailor Jentle Blue Black. But I love Sailor Nano Sei-Boku, but it doesn't really look blue black to me.

I use a lot of Pelikan 4001 blue black and Pelikan black. However I wouldnt recommend them with a fine nib. These inks are extremely dry and they need a pen with good flow and a broader nib to show their character and allow for a pleasant writing experience. I use them with Broad, medium und BB Pelikan nibs. Other than that, very well behaved Blue Black with a nice colour, some water resistance and a touch of iron gall.

You could consider Edelstein Tanzanite which is a wetter ink...

R&K Salix is highly praised but it is again a dry iron gall ink and i hadnt had the chance to use it extensively to offer an informed opinion.

Edited by fplover01

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to write on cheap paper and want a certain amount of water resistance, I would recommend Hero 232 Blue Black. You can find it at rather low prices on the Bay.

I've also been able to get it through BangGood.com.

Magnus | Raleigh, NC [uSA] | @Magnus919 | TerraMagnus