Noodler's Inkmyn Sapphire - Better Than Parker Penman Sapphire

amberleadavis

Well, there's democracy.

We keep on voting, hoping to get the government we deserve, only to find that we get the government we deserve...

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• dcwaites

• Tas

• jmccarty3

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Right on, David C. Waites. Obsessive is good. Everyone on this forum is obsessive. Several dozen people all over the world are re-creating an ink that no longer exists, that has characteristics we can't really remember, that had characteristics many consumers didn't like when it was actually marketed, and that more than 99 percent of the Earth's population doesn't even know exists. And -- here's the kicker -- we find this entertaining. It would be interesting to learn about an activity more obsessive than that.

Nicely said! :thumbup:

Edited by carlos.q

Right on, David C. Waites. Obsessive is good. Everyone on this forum is obsessive. Several dozen people all over the world are re-creating an ink that no longer exists, that has characteristics we can't really remember, that had characteristics many consumers didn't like when it was actually marketed, and that more than 99 percent of the Earth's population doesn't even know exists. And -- here's the kicker -- we find this entertaining. It would be interesting to learn about an activity more obsessive than that.

Bravo!! :D

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

I adore the depth of the shading In this 'all Noodler's' recreation of PPS! Great stuff, especially in a deeper blue. I've ordered the ingredient I didn't have, and I'm now waiting not so patiently. I don't exactly need more ink, but I certainly had to have this one. :)

As kids, some girls wanted to be princesses. I wanted to be Morticia Addams. Or Nikola Tesla. Preferably both.

I adore the depth of the shading In this 'all Noodler's' recreation of PPS! Great stuff, especially in a deeper blue. I've ordered the ingredient I didn't have, and I'm now waiting not so patiently. I don't exactly need more ink, but I certainly had to have this one. :)

I look forward to seeing your results.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

So here I am, with my findings, inky of finger and a tad exasperated with my iPhone. Allow me to tender my apologies for the pictures right now.

I've essayed the 4:1 Noodler's Navajo Turquoise to Noodler's La Coleur Royale. I did it in a fairly large batch of 24 eyedroppers of NT to 6 of LCR in order to average out discrepancies in 'eyedropper-fuls', which seems to be a discrepancy prone unit of measurement from the start.

The color is very similar to Private Reserve American Blue. The Inkmyn Sapphire hue seems to have more of a tendency to shade, lower feathering, and decidedly better lubrication and general manners. (When I put the American Blue in the Nemosine for Yet Another Set Of Written Comparisons, it actually dripped out of the nib when I turned the pen to cap it! Of course, I also learned that the perfume bottle that I repurposed to hold the Inkmyn doesn't seal, ah, ink-tight, without its rollerball fitting. Hands on ink testing has its unique perils.) Shading is pervasive, if subtle, in my Inkmyn mix, and it seems to shade more when it's had the chance to sit for a while. It's fairly tenacious stuff to get off one's hands, so I have hopes for some degree of water resistance from it.

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l526/cherenkov-hummingbird/image_zps5monceum.jpeg

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l526/cherenkov-hummingbird/image_zpshoyc3fxy.jpeg

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l526/cherenkov-hummingbird/image_zpsuzfmolmu.jpeg

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l526/cherenkov-hummingbird/image_zps8tyasq93.jpeg

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l526/cherenkov-hummingbird/image_zpsx5n3cz3l.jpeg

I'm quite impressed with the looks of the lnkmyn under electric light, even though I find it remarkably similar to American Blue in sunlight. I used the American Blue for the period while I was waiting for the bottle of La Coleur Royale to arrive, and it's now quite familiar to me under electric lights, thanks to work. Inkmyn surpasses it handily, in my estimation. lnkmyn certainly won't be relegated to markup, which AB had by the end of the week!

This is definitely a keeper. My thanks for the idea and the recipe, Amberlea!

As kids, some girls wanted to be princesses. I wanted to be Morticia Addams. Or Nikola Tesla. Preferably both.

I tried to shift the colour of my Blue Batch LCR by adding some Magenta. The only Magenta I had was an old HP Printer Ink cartridge. I used about 2 parts HP Magenta to 5 parts Blue LCR.

The colour was spot on, Unfortunately the Magenta must have half a bar of Sunshine Soap dissolved in it as a wetting agent, My particular blend spread and feathered like mad,

So, what I am looking for now is a pure, intense magenta that will mix nicely with my LCR.

Granny Aching

I tried to shift the colour of my Blue Batch LCR by adding some Magenta. The only Magenta I had was an old HP Printer Ink cartridge. I used about 2 parts HP Magenta to 5 parts Blue LCR.

The colour was spot on, Unfortunately the Magenta must have half a bar of Sunshine Soap dissolved in it as a wetting agent, My particular blend spread and feathered like mad,

So, what I am looking for now is a pure, intense magenta that will mix nicely with my LCR.

Try Diamine Deep Magenta.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

@ Otherwise - thank you for sharing!I'm glad you are enjoying this mix and that it fills a need.

David, I am surprised you are continuing with the mixes once you decided that LE was the perfect replacement.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

@ Otherwise - thank you for sharing!I'm glad you are enjoying this mix and that it fills a need.

David, I am surprised you are continuing with the mixes once you decided that LE was the perfect replacement.

Me too. I said so in another post somewhere the other day.

I am a lost cause.

Can you point me to a local chapter of Faux Penman Sapphire Anonymous?

PS - Sometimes I am just lost, but that's what Siri's for.

Granny Aching

PS - Sometimes I am just lost, but that's what Siri's for.

LOL. I wasn't lost yesterday, but did have to ask Siri for directions. I was stuck in stop-and-go traffic on an Interstate Highway and wanted to get to a smaller road that ran parallel to the Highway. So I tried Siri with these results:

Me; How far is it to the next exit on I 71?

Siri: There is no exit

Hmmmm.. you can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave? Let's try it again:

Me: Distance to US 42 from current location?

Siri: 32,369 miles

Hmmmm.. guess I'd better just stay on the current road

Sigh. Don't mean to hijack the thread, but hope it provides a laugh.

LOL. I wasn't lost yesterday, but did have to ask Siri for directions. I was stuck in stop-and-go traffic on an Interstate Highway and wanted to get to a smaller road that ran parallel to the Highway. So I tried Siri with these results:

Hmmmm.. you can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave? Let's try it again:

After the original shock 'oh no' reaction, that's really funny. :lticaptd:

I'm with Chrissy, "oh no" followed by giggles.

Given that the circumference of the Earth is 24,800 odd miles, and that therefore the longest distance from where you are to something else can't be greater than 12,400 something miles, it seems that Siri has found a really roundabout way of getting there.

Granny Aching

Otherwise, gorgeous handwriting.

Amberlea, for people who are new to the history of Parker Penman Sapphire replication, would you be interested in summarizing the approaches? I can point to two formulas (below), but there seem to be others, including just buying Private Reserve American Blue, or Bung Box Sapphire.

Noodler's Inkmyn Sapphire - (Fountain Pen Network collaboration)

Noodler's La Couleur Royale ..... 2 Parts

Noodler's Navajo Turquoise ..... 1 Part

Faux Penman Sapphire #9 - (David Waites)

Diamine Majestic Blue ..... 4 Parts

Diamine Sapphire Blue .... 3 Parts

Water ............................... 8 Parts

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

So, if you've been watching, we are doing a comparison of blue inks - well, all the inks are compared to Parker Penman Sapphire. Since several of our members are looking for a PPS replacement, I thought I'd add my recipe.

1:1 Noodler's Navajo Turquoise and Noodler's La Couleur Royale.

Check it out below, the bigger letters are PPS.

fpn_1439349821__2015-pps-40-c.jpg

Otherwise, gorgeous handwriting.

Amberlea, for people who are new to the history of Parker Penman Sapphire replication, would you be interested in summarizing the approaches? I can point to two formulas (below), but there seem to be others, including just buying Private Reserve American Blue, or Bung Box Sapphire.

Noodler's Inkmyn Sapphire - (Fountain Pen Network collaboration)

Noodler's La Couleur Royale ..... 2 Parts

Noodler's Navajo Turquoise ..... 1 Part

Faux Penman Sapphire #9 - (David Waites)

Diamine Majestic Blue ..... 4 Parts

Diamine Sapphire Blue .... 3 Parts

Water ............................... 8 Parts

Bob, when David reviewed the 100+ samples, he found that Noodler's Liberty Elysium was the best match over all. I'll post up a written response, but in the short term, start with a bright turquoise (NNT), add a really purple blue (LCR) until you get the right mix. The batches of LCR seem to vary. I found originally that 1:1 worked, but Tas found that 4 LCR to 1 NNT was the correct formulation. David found the other recipe that you see above. My next mix will be Lightning Blue and Purple Pizzazz.

The useful thing about FPS#9 is that, first, it uses Diamine inks, which Richard Binder considers safe, and that second, it is more than 50% water, making it extra safe.

However, what I like about NLE and NIS is that they are highly saturated in a way that FPS#9 can't be. There will be space for all on my desk.

Because of the 'safeness' of FPS#9, it is the first ink that many new pens that cross my desk get filled with.

edited to fix NLE.

Edited by dcwaites

Granny Aching

Amberlea, David, thank you for inspiring and motivating all of this development and passion for color.

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

• 1 month later...

BTW, if you write the initials of this ink - NIS, and then turn it upside down, it spells, SIN, which I thought was really funny when I named the ink.

Thank you to David who nailed down the recipe:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/300345-noodlers-inkyman-sapphire/

Thank you, Amber, for your kind comments.

From the comments of others, I knew where to aim, and it worked.

Don't forget that my recipe is for purply batch of La Couleur Royale. Those who have the purply blue batch of LCR will need to adjust their ratios. I remember somebody was able to do a good match with 2 parts purply blue LCR to 1 part Nooder's Navajo Turquoise.

If you have the bluey blue version of LCR, then you just need to enjoy the ink as it is.

Granny Aching