Noodler's Inkmyn Sapphire - Better Than Parker Penman Sapphire

amberleadavis

Sailor nioi-sumire might work as a substitute for LCR. It's a purplish-blue with a ton of red sheen. It might have the effect you're looking for.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• dcwaites

• Tas

• jmccarty3

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I received my Le Couleur Royale today and it's the purple stuff--not blue. So I got that going for me.

Below is a photo that includes swabs of Noodler's Blue and Sargasso Sea (diluted 1/3). The LCR is clearly the color it should be. Sorry for my poor photography.

For anyone interested, I got the LCR from Pens N More from Hickory Hills, Illinois (through Amazon).

Edit - I'm normally a Goulet loyalist but I can't buy from them what they don't have. :(

It will take me a few days to mix and test (very busy with work and a sick child) but I'll report back once I do.

post-121387-0-51983700-1444088198_thumb.jpg

Edited by Danny Kaffee

Hope the kiddo gets well soon.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

fpn_1444163610__2015-10-06-inks-03-reduc

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Nice. What ratio is that? And is that using the blue LCR or purple LCR?

That's the purple LCR and I thought it was 1:1, but start off with NT and then add LCR to taste.

It's the Topaz and the Blue Velvet that I like from Amber's sheet.

Topaz plus a little purple would probably get you there.

So, it appears that there are three versions of La Couleur Royale out there. There is the deeply magenta/purple version, there is the slightly purply blue version, and there is the blue-blue version, which I think just may be mislabelled Noodler's Blue.

However, following my own advice, and adding a little red to my blue LCR, I got a nice result --

fpn_1444360752__lcr2fps.jpg

The red was a transparent red I was given for testing called Batch D Red. I used 5 parts of Blue LCR to 3 parts of Batch D Red.

I am not happy with the scan, because I think that the paper I used has optical brighteners in it which gave the scanner a headache. However, it does show accurately that my blend is very close to PPS, which was the aim.

So, if you have some of the blue LCR, add some transparent red (perhaps Sheaffer Red?) and see how you go. I tried Noodler's Nikita Red, but it was too opaque, and made a dark blue that wasn't accurate.

I now have some in a Rotring Skynn (M)edium nib, and it writes exactly like my Parker 100 filled with real PPS.

Hope this helps.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

OH, thank you!!

DC, do you have any of the Voltaire? I'm wondering if that would work for the red or is it too opaque? Thanks a bunch. Gives me a purpose for my bottle of blue LCR.

I'm sorry, my LCR was much bluer than I had remembered.

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/album/Ink/slides/2015-10-17-21-12-52.jpg

Here is another comparison.

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/album/Ink/slides/2015-10-17-21-12-57.jpg

Tas, Amber asked me to let you know that I, too, have a bottle of the blue LCR. In fact, mine looks identical to standard Noodler's Blue. I suspect the wrong labels may have gotten onto some bottles.

Bemo, the recipe for Faux Penman Sapphire #9 can be found here

Herewith find a comparison between the Blue LCR and Noodler's Blue

fpn_1445250408__noodlersbluevslcr.jpg

Granny Aching

Herewith find a comparison between the Blue LCR and Noodler's Blue

fpn_1445250408__noodlersbluevslcr.jpg

Yep. Mine looks like yours.

I like it though. Really well behaved.

( Embarrassed to admit that I've still not bought any Diamine Sapphire to make your famous mix. Soon . . . )

I have been thinking about FPS#9. With over 50% water, it doesn't suit all pens. It comes out too light/dark in some cases.

I'm thinking of adjusting the amount of water to compensate for different pens/nibs.

Granny Aching

NOOOO !!!!

:crybaby:

it won't be that bad. I'm thinking of three concentrations, Mild, Medium and Lose Your Mind Staring into the Abyss Strong.

It's just that I have been finding that in some of my pens it comes out too dark, some it comes out too light, and some it's like Goldilock's porridge - just right.

I want it to be just right in all my pens.

I'm not fussy, just obsessive.

Edited by dcwaites

Granny Aching

Right on, David C. Waites. Obsessive is good. Everyone on this forum is obsessive. Several dozen people all over the world are re-creating an ink that no longer exists, that has characteristics we can't really remember, that had characteristics many consumers didn't like when it was actually marketed, and that more than 99 percent of the Earth's population doesn't even know exists. And -- here's the kicker -- we find this entertaining. It would be interesting to learn about an activity more obsessive than that.

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers