Edc Pen For Quick Annotations

Armand.D

Hello all,

I am searching for a new pen to introduce in my rotation, it would be my third and I would take annotations, complementary to my first pen.

Let me sum up my searching criterias ;

1) I am at school. I need to write quickly so screw-caps are not my favorite system.. Or it is ok if it opens very easily.

2) I would use Sailor Kiwa-guro ink which is pigmented. It's not a very "liquid" ink so to avoid problems I want something easy to clean..

If it can be taken apart that's a big plus.

3) Average size is ok.. but a compact size is preferred.

4) A piston-filler would be the best but I am ok with c/c.

So I have not found any perfect pen that would assemble all of these ; but I have highlighted some pens :

• Twsbi Mini (compact size, piston-filler but screw-cap)
  • Kaweco sport classic (less expensive, nib & feed can be changed but screw-cap and less ink capacity)
  • Herbin FP ? (sghlity less expensive but crapy plastic, accepts converters)
  • Jinhao x750 (.. average size and afraid it would be too big)

I've heard about some compact made/sold by jetpens like the "chibi" but by some it has a scratchy nib..

Note that I already have a Pilot Petit1 with green ink, it does not work great with Sailor KG.

What can you recommend me ?

Thank you.

Armand.D

Edited by Armand.D

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Armand.D

• ScienceChick

• Bex66

• C-town

TWSBI Eco?

Well about Twsbi I was more into the mini for the combo size+ink capacity.. but the Eco is nice for half the price.

• What's the size compared to a Lamy Safari ?

• I am afraid about screw-caps and their "rapidity to open", does are they compatible with quick notes ? (like if it's unscrews with one rotation/ finger pinch or not)

I have not a big experience with this cap system but it can be possible for me to use them, I would go for Twsbi with no hesitations.

Thank you.

Edited by Armand.D

Hi Armand

Your English is amazing!

I would second the TWSBI mini, if you enjoy smaller pens. Mine is extremely reliable and tolerant of cheaper school paper (do French schools provide beautiful Clairfontaine?;)) I have a medium and an extra-fine nib. I tend to use the medium more as the extra fine is quite dry, though very smooth. I find both my nibs prefer wetter more saturated inks. My current favourite in it is Diamine Delamere Green

I haven't tried an Eco yet. It is bigger, and this has put me off. I returned my 580 because it was too big and back heavy.

Have you considered a Pilot Prera? They aren't piston fillers, but are small and push-on caps. They are smooth writers and very reliable for the money. The nibs run fine, as with other cheaper pilots. I have 2 mediums. One is always in my rotation at school, with Waterman Harmonious Green (I'm a teacher).

The only 2 issues I have with the Prera - they are a bit more plasticky than TWSBI and are less tolerant of cheaper paper.

I only have one Sailor ink - tokiwa-matsu, and have never tried it in either pen.

Edited by Bex66

What about the pilot vanishing point? It has a retractable nib that allows you to start writing within a fraction of a second. It accepts converters.

Or the Pilot Decimo if you want an even thinner, shorter and lighter pen. I just got one and its flawless. For more ink capacity, dump a cartridge out (or use it I guess, lol) and refill with a syringe with your favorite ink. That effectively doubles the capacity of the CON-50 it comes with...

Edited by sirgilbert357

I totally agree about the Pilot Decimo, but I thought that was pushing your budget, looking at your initial suggestions. You wouldn't want to lose it or get it stolen at school!

My Decimos are fantastic. Far superior to my TWSBI mini. I have a fine and a medium - there's a very big difference. The fine is very fine and the medium is practically a western med.

Edited by Bex66

Well about Twsbi I was more into the mini for the combo size+ink capacity.. but the Eco is nice for half the price.

• What's the size compared to a Lamy Safari ?

• I am afraid about screw-caps and their "rapidity to open", does are they compatible with quick notes ? (like if it's unscrews with one rotation/ finger pinch or not)

I have not a big experience with this cap system but it can be possible for me to use them, I would go for Twsbi with no hesitations.

Thank you.

I suggested the Eco based primarily on price but it's not compact - about the same length and weight as a Safari. For compact, the Mini might be a better choice; it's 11.7cm capped.

I like screw-on caps and don't find it too time consuming to remove them. The end of the Mini barrel is threaded so the cap posts very securely; some people find it uncomfortably short when not posted.

I have both a Decimo and a VP. Great pens both but not compact in length and more expensive.

Life's too short to use crappy pens.  -carlos.q

Armand, I am a big fan of Platinum Cool/Balance. They're the same pen; Cool is a demonstrator and Balance offers three rather boring colors.

The nib is incredibly smooth for this price range and the snap cap is very convenient; it's not as difficult to unsnap as a lot of others and has a very comfortable, smooth grip section.

It can be had for around $30 US on the interweb. The converter is one of my favorites, but it takes proprietary cartridges and shouldn't be used as eyedropper.

I recommend their fine nib as it's a fairly wet writer.

How about a Metropolitan?

Pilot's quality along with a super durable metal body, some very nice nibs, snap cap, huge cartridges and a few rather cool new finishes about to be released! Can't think of a nicer pen for a school environment.

Someone mentioned the Prera which a very attractive pen too. My only 'complaint' is that when uncapping the pen sometimes the vacuum created draws a little ink into the cap.

If it wasn't for the school environment and the possible budget issue I would suggest Prera's upgrade, the Stargazer. Now that's a beautiful pen..

Edited by inotrym

Hi Armand

Your English is amazing!

I would second the TWSBI mini, if you enjoy smaller pens. Mine is extremely reliable and tolerant of cheaper school paper (do French schools provide beautiful Clairfontaine? ;)) I have a medium and an extra-fine nib. I tend to use the medium more as the extra fine is quite dry, though very smooth. I find both my nibs prefer wetter more saturated inks. My current favourite in it is Diamine Delamere Green

I haven't tried an Eco yet. It is bigger, and this has put me off. I returned my 580 because it was too big and back heavy.

Have you considered a Pilot Prera? They aren't piston fillers, but are small and push-on caps. They are smooth writers and very reliable for the money. The nibs run fine, as with other cheaper pilots. I have 2 mediums. One is always in my rotation at school, with Waterman Harmonious Green (I'm a teacher).

The only 2 issues I have with the Prera - they are a bit more plasticky than TWSBI and are less tolerant of cheaper paper.

I only have one Sailor ink - tokiwa-matsu, and have never tried it in either pen.

Thank you ;)

In fact,

I love the concept of the Twsbi Mini : something small allowing me to carry multiple pens and yet that has a high ink capacity ; but I don't know why the screw-cap (threaded barrel) is still blocking my mind..

In the past I had a Pilot 78G which was correct but annoying me with its cap, compared to my safari it was not practical at all to use in class. If really the twsbi cap is "easy to remove", why not ?

Otherwise yes, the Prera would seems to be a great compromise : it's not a piston-filler but I like its compacity + push cap + converter (provides still a convenient ink capacity for my black ink needs).

Also it's 30$ & to answer to your question most French pupils are using Clairefontaine paper ; I am writing most of the time on Clairefontaine 90gsm books which are buttery-smooth :)

So except copy papers sometimes cheaper-paper tolerance is ok.

Thank you for your answer,

I will think to the Prera compared to the Platinum cool etc.. but it wins already for its size.

Armand.D

I suggested the Eco based primarily on price but it's not compact - about the same length and weight as a Safari. For compact, the Mini might be a better choice; it's 11.7cm capped.

I like screw-on caps and don't find it too time consuming to remove them. The end of the Mini barrel is threaded so the cap posts very securely; some people find it uncomfortably short when not posted.

I have both a Decimo and a VP. Great pens both but not compact in length and more expensive.

Ok thank you for the precisions, so I will think to the Mini eventually.

If I had to go for a more expensive Pilot pen the Decimo indeed it would be a great choice (thinner than VP).

But I keep this price-range for the first pen in my rotation.. in fact I think that I will purchase a Lamy 2K soon instead.

What about the pilot vanishing point? It has a retractable nib that allows you to start writing within a fraction of a second. It accepts converters.

Or the Pilot Decimo if you want an even thinner, shorter and lighter pen. I just got one and its flawless. For more ink capacity, dump a cartridge out (or use it I guess, lol) and refill with a syringe with your favorite ink. That effectively doubles the capacity of the CON-50 it comes with...

I totally agree about the Pilot Decimo, but I thought that was pushing your budget, looking at your initial suggestions. You wouldn't want to lose it or get it stolen at school!

My Decimos are fantastic. Far superior to my TWSBI mini. I have a fine and a medium - there's a very big difference. The fine is very fine and the medium is practically a western med.

In fact I am just looking here for a small pen to introduce in my rotation (dedicated to annotations) ; but that's interesting because I am planning to buy a pen in this price-range soon :)

I agree with you that the Decimo is an attractive pen in its price-range (thinner than VP is better for me), especially refilling it with the cartridge because compared to the Lamy 2K there's no more a huge difference about ink capacity.

I still think that I would prefer the 2K, but I guess that it is two completely different writing experience..

Thank you for your comments !

Armand.D

In no particular order:

Duke 209

Parker 21 Super

Parker 25

Platinum Balance

Parker 51

Sheaffer Targa

Sheaffer 440

That's a lot of pen to see, I will compared them.

Thank you.

Armand.D

How about a Metropolitan?

Pilot's quality along with a super durable metal body, some very nice nibs, snap cap, huge cartridges and a few rather cool new finishes about to be released! Can't think of a nicer pen for a school environment.

Someone mentioned the Prera which a very attractive pen too. My only 'complaint' is that when uncapping the pen sometimes the vacuum created draws a little ink into the cap.

If it wasn't for the school environment and the possible budget issue I would suggest Prera's upgrade, the Stargazer. Now that's a beautiful pen..

Well, to be honest I am not very attracted by the Metropolitan.. even if it's a kind of handy pen for school like the Safari, I agree.

For the Prera yes it's the main draw, I will look into that but for my usages I think it's ok.

The Stargazer is a beautiful pen, totally agree but.. expensive.

So I will look into the Prera,

Thank you !

Armand.D

If you're considering the Parker 21, consider also the 45. Parker's c/c have more capacity than international.

I use a Platinum Plaisir for markup. They never, ever dry out, have decently sturdy snap caps and aluminum barrel and cap, and I refill the cartridge with Noodler's Widow Maker using a syringe at need. It isn't so easily cleaned; the feed reminds me of a Pilot Precise V5/V7 feed. A bulb syringe is very helpful in flushing all c/c pens. They are standard size, not mini, and post well.

Armand, I am a big fan of Platinum Cool/Balance. They're the same pen; Cool is a demonstrator and Balance offers three rather boring colors.

The nib is incredibly smooth for this price range and the snap cap is very convenient; it's not as difficult to unsnap as a lot of others and has a very comfortable, smooth grip section.

It can be had for around $30 US on the interweb. The converter is one of my favorites, but it takes proprietary cartridges and shouldn't be used as eyedropper.

I recommend their fine nib as it's a fairly wet writer.

According to your description, it's a very great pen.

I checked quickly the prices and compared the size on Goulet Plaza.

Vs the Prera at first it is more appealing to me, even though I prefer the size of the Pilot.

I will think about it,

Thank you.

Armand.D

Edited by Armand.D

If you're considering the Parker 21, consider also the 45. Parker's c/c have more capacity than international.

I use a Platinum Plaisir for markup. They never, ever dry out, have decently sturdy snap caps and aluminum barrel and cap, and I refill the cartridge with Noodler's Widow Maker using a syringe at need. It isn't so easily cleaned; the feed reminds me of a Pilot Precise V5/V7 feed. A bulb syringe is very helpful in flushing all c/c pens. They are standard size, not mini, and post well.

I have a bulb syringe, so there are no problems about that.

Otherwise thank you, I will add these pens to my list (even though I prefer the Platinum cool to the Plaisir).

Two suggestions: Lamy Logo, same nib as the Safari etc but a slimmer, metal, body and a pull-off cap. EF is good for notes (more equal to a Fine in other brands); very reliable writer

Or Platinum PTL-5000; slim body, pull-off cap, large capacity converter, and very smooth 14K gold nib with the advantage that it's a reliable if slightly scratchy writer using the back of the nib - that gives a very thin line, great for annotating texts. Another very reliable writer even if it's been left for a while.

The Logo is probably more rugged for school use, but the Platinum is the better writer!