Are They Blue Or Green? Quick Comparison

lgsoltek

With my latest purchase of Emerald of Chivor I wanted to do a comparison of some blue/green/blue-green/teal inks. Since I'm lazy and don't want to fill then flush my pens, I used an R&K glass pen for this simple comparison. So these inks look more saturated in this scan and they might look different in a pen. The paper is Maruman loose leaf. To my eyes the scan is slighter bluer than/not as green as in real life.

fpn_1439201460__bluegreencompare.jpg

The inks are:

J. Herbin Emeraude de Chivor,

Sailor Yama-dori,

Sailor Kingdom Note Phasianus versicolor (Japanese pheasant),

Iroshizuku Ku-jaku,

Iroshizuku Syo-ro,

Waterman Mysterious Blue,

Montblanc Blue Hour Twilight Blue,

Sailor Shio-iro (Colour of the Tide, this is a Sailor ink made for a Chinese webstore. And no, it's not available now or in near future :D).

As I understand this is the kind of colour our dear Visvamitra dislikes. :lol:

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• lgsoltek

• J85909266

• DrDebG

Maruzen Athena Nihombashi Kirin wouldn't look out of place with that lot. I'd also add PR Blue Suede but I don't have any here with me right now.

Verba volant, scripta manent

Thanks! Nice comparsion and above all a good choice of inks here!!

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

With my latest purchase of Emerald of Chivor I wanted to do a comparison of some blue/green/blue-green/teal inks. Since I'm lazy and don't want to fill then flush my pens, I used an R&K glass pen for this simple comparison. So these inks look more saturated in this scan and they might look different in a pen. The paper is Maruman loose leaf. To my eyes the scan is slighter bluer than/not as green as in real life.

The inks are:

J. Herbin Emeraude de Chivor,

Sailor Yama-dori,

Sailor Kingdom Note Phasianus versicolor (Japanese pheasant),

Iroshizuku Ku-jaku,

Iroshizuku Syo-ro,

Waterman Mysterious Blue,

Montblanc Blue Hour Twilight Blue,

Sailor Shio-iro (Colour of the Tide, this is a Sailor ink made for a Chinese webstore. And no, it's not available now or in near future :D).

As I understand this is the kind of colour our dear Visvamitra dislikes. :lol:

Yes, that's precisely the color i dislike :)

Thanks for the comparison. I go through weird alternating periods of intense dislike and attraction with these kinds of blue-greens...

Edited by gylyf

Thank you for the comparison.

While I do like blue-greens, I have to say I am a bit put-off by J. Herbin Emerald de Chivor. It seems very dark. And I am not at all attracted by the "shinys". Of course, I'm not to wild about the J. Herbin Anniversary inks anyway.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Interesting comparison. I've been trying to make up my mind about the new 1670 ink. It definitely looks more blue than some of the other inks in your test.

OTOH, I *do* have Waterman Mysterious Blue, and on some papers (and with some nibs) it looks decidedly green (to the point that I had people convinced it *was* a green ink -- and I was going "Nope, it's Mysterious Blue -- I know what I put in that pen.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Maruzen Athena Nihombashi Kirin wouldn't look out of place with that lot. I'd also add PR Blue Suede but I don't have any here with me right now.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Agreed, Blue Suede appears to be the exact same colour as Emerald of Chivor minus the gold.

Check out my new blog, thepenhaul.com

Great comparison. I'm not a fan of blue greens and I'm glad to get the warning.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

DBS is really not my color. I keep it inked up because it is FLAWLESS as a performer for me. It always starts, it doesn't fade and it doesn't clog. Now if only it were purple or dark blue or red or bright green.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Looks like MB just rebottled Waterman BB and tripled the price with that Blue Hour ink.

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

Looks like MB just rebottled Waterman BB and tripled the price with that Blue Hour ink.

I recently emptied MB Irish Green from my Lamy 2000 and (without flushing) refilled it with MB Royal Blue. The result was a very nice blue-green that looks something between Yama-Dori and Ku-Jaku. Prettier (and cheaper) than Blue Hour. ;)

Those are splash-tacular! Thank you.

I am loving this topic! These are the blue-greens that I favor, and now I have a few more to try. Samples of Iroshizuku Ku Jaku and Waterman Mysterious BLue will find their way into my next pen-related order.

I'll add 2 more inks that fit into this color family: DeAtramentis Blue-Black and Noodler's Turquoise.

I'm still not a big fan of sprinkles of gold and silver added to ink. Yes, I have tried them, and basically it wasn't love. Guess I am a bit of purist.

So I am not hugely motivated to order a bottle of the new 1670 ink.

I am also a fan of blue-greens, and I love Waterman Mysterious Blue - I think they named it Mysterious because sometimes it is blue and sometimes it is more green. (I wonder if temperature has something to do with it.) I also have P.Iro Ku-Jaku which is nice.

You have convinced me to buy a bottle of Sailor Yama Dori, though.

Edited by Penfection

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

You have convinced me to buy a bottle of Sailor Yama Dori, though.

You will not be disappointed. I recently filled out my daughter's, who is starting kindergarten, All About Me form with Yama Dori. It was just plain printer paper, but the shading and sheen were beyond gorgeous. Her teacher immediately asked me what in the world I used to fill it out.

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe