AshleyMillard

I'm a long time stationary lover and a newly qualified diver. So imagine my disgust to have to fill out a historically significant document (my dive log) on shiny paper with a BIC. I was wondering if there are any divers who have some good recommendations for dive logs that are actually enjoyable to keep and review?

Edited by AshleyMillard

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheRealScubaSteve

• dcwaites

• AshleyMillard

• alaskazimm

First, congratulations on becoming a diver! Are you hooked yet?

The shiny dive log (books) that you mention do take fountain pen ink well. Unfortunately, they do not have nearly enough pages and are too expensive for what they are. I've been considering making my own with decent paper. I may also see what kind of paper the local printer has. If they have any type of waterproof or resistant (like the shiny stuff) paper that may work out better to have them print a bunch of loose leaf pages.

Thank you! I am totally hooked. I've been learning in the pasific coast of Mexico, which is beautiful and I saw a turtle today, I can't think of anything more convincing!

Thanks for the tip I will definitely look into putting something together myself especially as that will give me the opportunity to put in some fish identification sheets/ information from dive sites.

An olive turtle

Cool! I've never seen one of those.

Was it in a dry martini?

I crack myself up :)

I crack myself up all the time. :D

Diving is one of my passions, I have created my own dive log on Excel, but have yet to print it on good paper. I voice record my dives now on my iPhone then transcribe them later when I'm dry.

Pop Tarts and gravy, It's whats for breakfast.

Nu: Elite make a Tradies notebook from plastic based 'rock' paper. A lot of inks won't wash off and so are permanent on it. If I was still diving I would use one as my dive log.

It will take pencil, ballpoint and FP.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

Nu: Elite make a Tradies notebook from plastic based 'rock' paper. A lot of inks won't wash off and so are permanent on it. If I was still diving I would use one as my dive log.

It will take pencil, ballpoint and FP.

Do you know if they'd take ink from a printer?

Do you know if they'd take ink from a printer?

It's a wire-bound notebook, so you'd have to disassemble it, trim the holes off the side (they would catch in a printer) and re-bind it. But any pigment-based black printer ink should stick.

Granny Aching

So....out of curiosity, I know they make waterproof paper. Could I, in theory, use a waterproof ink like Noodler's Polar Blue, with a fountain pen, underwater? :)

Edited by StrawberryJam

Current Wishlist:

Visconti, Visconti, and...more Visconti! (And some ST Duponts too). (Ok fine, getting on the Omas and Montblanc trains now too. Toot toot.) (And maybe on the Montegrappa one too, but only for the Miyas.)

So....out of curiosity, I know they make waterproof paper. Could I, in theory, use a waterproof ink like Noodler's Polar Blue, with a fountain pen, underwater? :)

No, but a Fisher Space pen writes underwater. I sometimes use it with waterproof paper in lieu of a dive slate.

Sadly, no. Waterproof inks are dissolved in water, and don't become waterproof until a ) they are put down on paper, and b ) they have dried. The process of drying changes the dye to become waterproof.

And you can't even use waterproof ink on wet paper, it just spreads.

You can use a number of inks on the rock paper I mentioned above, not just the Nu: Elite Tradies paper. However, there is no rhyme or reason that I know of that tells you which inks behave properly. Noodlers Kung Te-Chen behaves well, but shouldn't because it's bulletproof nature doesn't work with rock paper (it has to be on cellulose paper(normal)). However, another bulletproof ink, Noodler's Bad Blue Heron spreads like there's no tomorrow. Que pasa?

Granny Aching