Soniknitr a great review for a great pen.

I like the clear version of the TWSBI. Although there is a rosegold version on my desk I prefer the clear version. It offers a "pure" view on the ink running through the pen.

Currently the 580 Diamond is equipped with a 1.5 stub nib. Great writing and fat ink flow. The 580 is offering a daily "wow" :D .

Thank you Ingolf. Same with me, love the crystalline vision of both mechanism and ink colours for the clear version. Happy to know that you prefer the clear to the rosegold one :)

You have come to earth to entertain and to be entertained - P.Y

Some Pen & Paraphernalia Reviews

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sannidh

• EBUCKTHORN

• vPro

• Pen_Noob

Soniknitr-

Re:

"From the pics/reviews + weight specs (13 + 8 g), I too feel (if you ask) that Eco can be used both ways comfortably & one might not feel a top heaviness like 580 here."

Thanks. I was inquiring about the ECO. I'm glad to read that you think posting wouldn't be problematic. I've been using mine that way and it seems fine-not as comfy as my Minis posted, but nevertheless OK.

Soniknitr-

Re:

"From the pics/reviews + weight specs (13 + 8 g), I too feel (if you ask) that Eco can be used both ways comfortably & one might not feel a top heaviness like 580 here."

Thanks. I was inquiring about the ECO. I'm glad to read that you think posting wouldn't be problematic. I've been using mine that way and it seems fine-not as comfy as my Minis posted, but nevertheless OK.

Glad to hear about your ECO :).. 580 cap posts on the piston-knob itself, but Eco seems to post well on the barrel.

Thanks for sharing your comparison with the Minis

I'm so excited about receiving my TWSBI Diamond 580! I'm getting the 580AL version and the nib is ground to a 0.7mm CI!

I'm so excited about receiving my TWSBI Diamond 580! I'm getting the 580AL version and the nib is ground to a 0.7mm CI!

Wow :thumbup: May I know who is doing your custom CI grind :rolleyes: ?

Edited by soniknitr

Mr. John Sorowka did it! I should receive my pen early next week and your lovely review didn't really make the wait any easier :P I want my pen nowwww! (I have been waiting for 2 months :)

Mr. John Sorowka did it! I should receive my pen early next week and your lovely review didn't really make the wait any easier :P I want my pen nowwww! (I have been waiting for 2 months :)

Fantastic :rolleyes: ! ha ha..Thank you! Early next week is like day after tomorrow :P

Guess, it should be worth the wait!

Please share a writing sample once you have it, if not a review :D

Edited by soniknitr

Hi, great review... Thanks for sharing... I have the TWSBI 580 clear demonstrator 1.5 stub and the TWSBI 540 Amber demonstrator medium nib... Both were obtain locally in India..

. But I do have my concerns about the 580 stub... Hard start, possibly baby's bottom related issues and temperamental with different inks.

The 540 however, no issues at all, wonderful experience so far. I've tried to use a brass shim to open up the tines slightly and use the 120,000 grit to see how to get rid of baby's bottom phenomenon (referencing the Goulet and SBRE Brown videos)... There is improvement for sure but one wonders if it can be improved upon still. Considering getting a replacement nib set... Let's see.

Despite this I really like using both pens and do as often as possible in my rotation of pens I use on a daily basis... The Italix models still remain a favourite

This may be the wrong place to ask but is there really a 120,000 grit abrasive or is there an extra zero in that number? Thanks for clarifying.

"The 540 however, no issues at all, wonderful experience so far. I've tried to use a brass shim to open up the tines slightly and use the 120,000 grit to see how to get rid of baby's bottom phenomenon (referencing the Goulet and SBRE Brown videos)..."

Hi, great review... Thanks for sharing... I have the TWSBI 580 clear demonstrator 1.5 stub and the TWSBI 540 Amber demonstrator medium nib... Both were obtain locally in India..

. But I do have my concerns about the 580 stub... Hard start, possibly baby's bottom related issues and temperamental with different inks.

The 540 however, no issues at all, wonderful experience so far. I've tried to use a brass shim to open up the tines slightly and use the 120,000 grit to see how to get rid of baby's bottom phenomenon (referencing the Goulet and SBRE Brown videos)... There is improvement for sure but one wonders if it can be improved upon still. Considering getting a replacement nib set... Let's see.

Despite this I really like using both pens and do as often as possible in my rotation of pens I use on a daily basis... The Italix models still remain a favourite

I tend to use wetter inks on the twsbis, and agree on the temperamental aspect with different inks (& the same its true for some of my Pilot pens). If you could contact their excellent customer service, TWSBI will surely replace the nib. Thank you for you kind comments.

This may be the wrong place to ask but is there really a 120,000 grit abrasive or is there an extra zero in that number? Thanks for clarifying.

"The 540 however, no issues at all, wonderful experience so far. I've tried to use a brass shim to open up the tines slightly and use the 120,000 grit to see how to get rid of baby's bottom phenomenon (referencing the Goulet and SBRE Brown videos)..."

Believe it 12000 only. Although rarely but quite curiously enough 120,000 grits also exist

"Japanese sword polishing, particularly in the finishing stages, is still most commonly performed with extremely costly and rare natural polishing stones, as the inconsistent grit sizes of the abrasive particles in natural stones will often produce visual results of polishing that reveal characteristics of the steel that the uniform grain particles in artificial stone will not.Some Japanese waterstones are known to reach 50,000+, 75,000+, or even 120,000+ grit in abrasive particle size, while the finest artificial stone sold is the Shapton 30,000 grit stone (though diamond abrasive particles of several hundred thousand grit are available, typically as a suspended liquid or dry powder)"

Best,

Sonik

Thanks Sonik. I was thinking 120,000 would be a bit fine for pen nib work. You're probably already familiar with the Unified Grit chart that I've always found helpful. In case not: http://myplace.frontier.com/~mr.wizard/GLGC/GLGC.png (http://myplace.frontier.com/~mr.wizard/GLGC/GLGC.png) This is for the newer logarithmic version. I hope the link works.

Thanks Sonik. I was thinking 120,000 would be a bit fine for pen nib work. You're probably already familiar with the Unified Grit chart that I've always found helpful. In case not: http://myplace.frontier.com/~mr.wizard/GLGC/GLGC.png (http://myplace.frontier.com/~mr.wizard/GLGC/GLGC.png) This is for the newer logarithmic version. I hope the link works.

I was not. Thanks for sharing.

Quite an interesting chart, I must say..

Thanks for the tip on cleaning the inner cap. I love my 580, but my one complaint is that it tends to get a lot of condensation in the cap (sometimes lightly saturated with the ink), which has gotten under the lip of the inner cap. Do you have that problem at all or is it just me? Maybe that's common with piston-filler pens; it's the only one I own so I have no idea.

-grrtt-

nibwise.wordpress.com: One man's journey toward fountain pen enlightenment.

Thanks for the tip on cleaning the inner cap. I love my 580, but my one complaint is that it tends to get a lot of condensation in the cap (sometimes lightly saturated with the ink), which has gotten under the lip of the inner cap. Do you have that problem at all or is it just me? Maybe that's common with piston-filler pens; it's the only one I own so I have no idea.

Thank you :) and you need not worry about that. It's quite common. There is some inherent evaporation of some of the additives in some saturated inks (with temperature/pressure changes), and it becomes noticeable because of the clear demonstrator. After filling up the pen, I do drain a few drops of ink, so that the buffer in feed is reduced and there is some less evaporation + condensation.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

I thought I broke my nearly new 580 this morning. Over torqued the end cap while filling and heard a crack. After that, the cap would no longer completely tighten back down. After offloading the ink and inspecting, I found no damage. I must've skipped a thread. After disassembling and spending a fruitless 20 minutes trying to get the thing back together on my own, I finally slowed down and watched the Goulet Pens video on 580 reassembly. Found the trick I had missed the first time. Brian fixed my pen, I just did the manual labor. :)

I thought I broke my nearly new 580 this morning. Over torqued the end cap while filling and heard a crack. After that, the cap would no longer completely tighten back down. After offloading the ink and inspecting, I found no damage. I must've skipped a thread. After disassembling and spending a fruitless 20 minutes trying to get the thing back together on my own, I finally slowed down and watched the Goulet Pens video on 580 reassembly. Found the trick I had missed the first time. Brian fixed my pen, I just did the manual labor. :)

Glad you were able to repair it with Brian's help!

Lovely :)