Bought A 4001 Royal Blue, Got A Brilliant Brown... And Loved It!

cimmerian

I bought (on-line) a bottle of Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue last month but the seller contacted me after a couple of days apologising for an inventory mistake: they were fresh out of Royal Blue. He offered me Blue-Black, but I don't like blue-blacks, so we settled on a bottle of 4001 Turquoise. Also, he sent me a 62.5 ml bottle of 4001 Brilliant Brown as ways of compensation, which I think was nice.

Before these bottles arrived, I kept thinking "OK, I can work with the turquoise... but what am I gonna do with brown ink!?" Well... after I inked pens with both and wrote some, I'm seeing this as the Brilliant Brown being the replacement for the Blue-Black with the Turquoise bottle as compensation!

I guess I'm a fan of brown inks now. :lol:

post-124109-0-24374400-1438132884_thumb.jpg

Edited by Marcelo Ferrari

Who knows what ink lurks in the hearts of pen? The Shadow knows!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cimmerian

• amberleadavis

• fly_us

• Mathematics Teacher

Brown ink is my primary writing ink. I use Waterman's Absolute Brown, though Diamine Chocolate Brown is also a favorite.

Black and blue are so prevalent, that I often want something more unique, and I find brown classy enough that I can use it for everyday writing without the judgement I'd get signing my name or filling out a form in some other color of the rainbow.

I just ordered a few ink samples from Goulet Pens that I'm interested in pairing with my Italix Churchman's Prescriptor, and I still love the simple fact that with a fountain pen, there is no limitation on what color ink I can use.

I bought (on-line) a bottle of Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue last month but the seller contacted me after a couple of days apologising for an inventory mistake: they were fresh out of Royal Blue. He offered me Blue-Black, but I don't like blue-blacks, so we settled on a bottle of 4001 Turquoise. Also, he sent me a 62.5 ml bottle of 4001 Brilliant Brown as ways of compensation, which I think was nice.

Before these bottles arrived, I kept thinking "OK, I can work with the turquoise... but what am I gonna do with brown ink!?" Well... after I inked pens with both and wrote some, I'm seeing this as the Brilliant Brown being the replacement for the Blue-Black with the Turquoise bottle as compensation!

I guess I'm a fan of brown inks now. :lol:

attachicon.gifP1000352.jpg

IMO, you got the 2 best colors from the 4001 series. I have most of them, except the Brilliant Red and i must say i love the turquoise and the brown most. I have much better blue and blue black from other brands, so they just stand there without being used.

I inked the pen I carry around with the turquoise. In Brazil, blue ink isn't considered "coloured" for pens, so I'll test how far I can go with a turquoise before people start telling me that I shouldn't be signing documents or handing papers in turquoise. :P

I'm using the brown in the notebook I scribble my thoughts on. It's an old-style notebook, so the brown ink is giving it a feel of something a treasure hunter might've in somebody's attic. That is, if my longhand weren't so terrible! :lol:

Good seller ! BTW : When the bottle is down to 1/3 , it can be "rocked" onto its side for ease of pen filling.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Good seller ! BTW : When the bottle is down to 1/3 , it can be "rocked" onto its side for ease of pen filling.

Yeah! Thanks for pointing that out. My Sheaffer Skrip Black is running low and the ink vial is round, so I have to use a syringe to fill pens with than ink because of it.

Edited by Marcelo Ferrari

Yeah! Thanks for pointing that out. My Sheaffer Skrip Black is running low and the ink vial is round, so I have to use a syringe to fill pens with than ink because of it.

The round bottle - depending on the age, has well, you fill the well, and then fill from the well.

Glad to hear you are enjoying your ink.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

The round bottle - depending on the age, has well, you fill the well, and then fill from the well.

I don't think it does. The only feature I can glimpse scrutinising the bottle from the outside is a "pimple" on the bottom:

post-124109-0-32423700-1438897733_thumb.jpg

But I don't think that's what you're talking about, amberleadavis.

I'm a big fan of brown ink and use it on a daily basis. Favorites include Akkerman Bekakt Haags and Diamine Chocolate Brown...both well saturated and well behaved. I'm going to have to try some Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Brown. I think brown is a great color for business use cuz blue and black sure get boring after a while.

How does this ink compare in hue with Diamine Ancient Copper? I already have a full bottle of that so if it compares closely with the Brilliant Brown I can forgo buying it.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sorry, I have no idea. I never used Diamine.

I don't think it does. The only feature I can glimpse scrutinising the bottle from the outside is a "pimple" on the bottom:

attachicon.gifIMG_0082.jpg

But I don't think that's what you're talking about, amberleadavis.

This was what I was talking about:

http://dirck.delint.ca/beta/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/skripbots.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

That's so cool! I wish my ink came in that bottle.

• 2 weeks later...

Lucky score with that vendor. I guess they really want to keep your business.

With regard to Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Brown I must say that when I bought it years ago I was disappointed. However, since then I have mixed it 4:1 with some Noodler's Black ink and it looks much better to me now.

I've done a 5:1 = Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue : Noodler's Black mix only today and I'm hoping to get a nice, darker blue with a permanent component. I've had these washable blue inks react with other inks in the past so I'm letting this ink mixture age in the plastic vial for a while before I load it into a fountain pen.

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell