Mabie Todd Swan 2

jaredvdm

Hi All,

Newbie here. I am a hobby typographer with a love for all writing instruments, but mostly the pen we all congregate for.

I inherited a few pens from my late grandmother. A cheap looking Hifra fountain, Tropen Scholar, Wahl Eversharp and a Mabie Todd Swan 2. The Swan is my, as it writes beautifully and looks like it's seen a lot.

First thing is, I have no idea how to date the pen, and the second is, it's missing it's original lid/cap. It's such a beautiful pen and I would like to know how I would be able to acquire one and how I would date it. Is anyone able to help?

Thanks in advance,

Jared

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jaredvdm

• Cob

• terim

• the_gasman

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Terim,

It's hard rubber for sure. Lever filler. Made in England. I will post pics later, as the pen is at home.

Thanks

Yes let's see a picture or three; and maybe we can advise and find a cap for you.

Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

Hi guys. I couldn't get quality pics, but this is what I have. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/u6nn3q6jqw49owq/AAAg4BtjOLbtQNvLn4j4jycMa?dl=0

There is no serial number on it at all. Just the logo and made in England.

The bladder had completely disintegrated. So any info I can get on getting hold of a new one would be awesome. Thanks a ton!

Hi guys. I couldn't get quality pics, but this is what I have. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/u6nn3q6jqw49owq/AAAg4BtjOLbtQNvLn4j4jycMa?dl=0

There is no serial number on it at all. Just the logo and made in England.

The bladder had completely disintegrated. So any info I can get on getting hold of a new one would be awesome. Thanks a ton!

It looks like a typical example of one of the late 1930s Swans with no number that MT loved to produce for reasons I cannot understand. I would need to know the barrel diameter. Is the lever chrome- or gold-plated? If it were gold plated then the pen should be a derivative of the 6260; if chrome it has either been replaced or is another MT curiosity.

If you search under ink sacs you should find what you need. I suggest you start by reading through this web site which should be helpful.

Cob

Edited by Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

Swans are my favourites, too -- real beauties.

The most important part of a pen is the nib; yours looks like a beauty and I suspect that it might flex with a little pressure. If you haven't had an active flex life you may find it takes time to get it right. I nearly re-sold my first flex but after a week or two I accepted it, and after a couple more weeks it became my favourite pen.

If Cob can't identify the pen +/- aquire a cap, I don't think anyone can.

I hope you find both a name and a cap.

Enjoy the pen.

David.

Thanks Cob and David!

The lever is a silver colour, but was a light gold before. I know that much. The pressure bar (if that's what it is called) is a bit rusted on the inside. I know it would probably be easier to find a replacement pen, but this one has Massive sentimental value. One of the few physical items I inherited.

Would I be able to take out the pressure bar and clean it a bit?

@Cob. I will measure the barrel when I get home.

@David. The nib has a beautiful flex. Really excited to use it more.

Thanks again.