(Please Vote) Has Your Twsbi Cracked?

DevrimJan

Has your TWSBI cracked?  

590 members have voted

1. 1. Has your TWSBI Diamond 530 cracked?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Don't own one.
  2. 2. Has your TWSBI Diamond 540 cracked?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Don't own one.
  3. 3. Has your TWSBI Diamond 580 cracked?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Don't own one.
  4. 4. Has your TWSBI Diamond Mini cracked?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Don't own one.
  5. 5. Has your TWSBI Vac 700 cracked?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Don't own one.
  6. 6. Has your TWSBI Classic cracked?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Don't own one.
  7. 7. Has your TWSBI Eco cracked?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Don't own one.

It is sad to report that my TWSBI Diamond 580 and Diamond Mini both have a crack across the threads between barrel and section (I think that's what it called) and some feathering cracks at the top of the barrel too near the twisting mechanism. They have each only once been taken apart for cleaning and reassembled. No extra force or hot water was involved in the process.

My 580 AL and Vac 700 that were purchased recently do not exhibit said problems, but I will be selling both as a precaution.

I wish they would acknowledge and fix this issue in their future models.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Drone

• dauodwa

• EBUCKTHORN

• Jamerelbe

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have really enjoyed my 580AL, and thankfully, no cracks so far. I appreciate this discussion, as I will be on the look out for cracks as time goes on. It is truly a pen that I enjoy! I appreciate the large ink capacity, and now look at my more traditional fountain pens a little differently. My only criticism of the pen is that the cap makes the pen too heavy for me to post it when writing. If I had more cash, I would buy one of the minis!

• 3 weeks later...

It is sad to report that my TWSBI Diamond 580 and Diamond Mini both have a crack across the threads between barrel and section (I think that's what it called) and some feathering cracks at the top of the barrel too near the twisting mechanism. They have each only once been taken apart for cleaning and reassembled. No extra force or hot water was involved in the process.

How long did you own your Mini, before it cracked?

How long did you own your Mini, before it cracked?

I had my Mini for just over a month before the initial cracks appeared.

Its clear that TWSBIs crack a lot. Yes the customer service is great, and maybe less of some models crack than others, but the poll clearly shows that a lot more crack than would be reasonably expected of all models, even the Eco in my opinion. And reading the thread, there are several instances where people have voted to show theirs are crack free, then experienced cracks later, and it stands to reason that the longer you own one, the more likely it is to eventually crack, so the poll, if anything, will under-represent the true number.

So that being the case, does anyone know why this is happening? I've read the blog where stresses in the plastic were revealed using polarised light, but I struggle to see (maybe because I'm not an engineer) how other pens with interestingly shaped barrels and sections made from moulded plastics wouldn't be under similar stresses.

Is there something different about the material TWSBI use in itself? Or is it just the manufacturing process?

Its clear that TWSBIs crack a lot. Yes the customer service is great, and maybe less of some models crack than others, but the poll clearly shows that a lot more crack than would be reasonably expected of all models, even the Eco in my opinion. And reading the thread, there are several instances where people have voted to show theirs are crack free, then experienced cracks later, and it stands to reason that the longer you own one, the more likely it is to eventually crack, so the poll, if anything, will under-represent the true number.

So that being the case, does anyone know why this is happening? I've read the blog where stresses in the plastic were revealed using polarised light, but I struggle to see (maybe because I'm not an engineer) how other pens with interestingly shaped barrels and sections made from moulded plastics wouldn't be under similar stresses.

Is there something different about the material TWSBI use in itself? Or is it just the manufacturing process?

I have never been involved with pen production, but perhaps I can hazard a few guesses regarding the cause of the root, and other more expert individuals here can contribute more.

First of, there are hundreds, perhaps thousands of formulations for plastics, and it could be the exact material TWSBI uses is simply more prone to cracking and hairline fractures.

Secondly, injection molding is a very expensive process for the initial setup, and once you have the molds, which can cost in the millions, it is very difficult to amend any faults. This is why extensive prototyping goes on prior to a mold being created. So, fixing an issue that is found can take time and lots of research and development, not to mention mounting manufacturing costs that have to be recouped through mass production.

One of the reasons that the TWSBI pens seem to crack, especially so with all the piston filled models, is stress points, such as any part that is in contact with metals or the piston mechanism. The plastic barrel, cap and section of TWSBI is single layer and contains no point of stress relief in its design. TWSBI may have found out about the issues later on, but it was too late and too much money was invested in the injection molds and the plastic raw materials. This could explain why later models slowly seem to have the cracking issue less and less.

I honestly can't think of many other cheaper injection molded plastic pens that have a built-in piston mechanism for direct comparison of the cracking issue. Maybe cheap BIC pens have a similar clear plastic to TWSBI. Perhaps you can point out some to me. Most of the cheap pens out there, from the likes of Pilot Metropolitan to the cheaper Sheaffer and Parkers, mostly all use cartridge/converter systems, and often have a brass barrel with a lacquer or plastic coating.

I'm fairly new to the fountain pen world, but from what I seem to be noticing is that, in general, TWSBI seems to be getting better about their pens cracking. Granted, it shouldn't even be a topic, but I think they're showing that they are trying to fix this known issue. The 580 was stronger than the 540, the 580AL stronger than the 580, and from what I can tell so far, the Eco even feels tough for its materials. I haven't had any issues personally with my Vac700, Mini, or Eco, and hopefully I won't. It's a shame that the company's rocky start to the pen world has turned so many people off of their products as they have become my favorite pen manufacturer simply for the aesthetics of their designs.

Now I'm really in two minds as to whether to get a Twisbi at all. Model I'm considering is either 580 Republic of Taiwan edition or 580AL demonstrator.

It would help if someone knows whether this is just a problem with Twisbi or all plastic demonstrator pens?

For instance I've got a Pilot Prera and haven't seen anything about those cracking. Have some Jinhao 599 demonstrators on the way too but can't care less if they crack as they're only $2 AUD delivered.

I have to say though that if I'm spending almost $100 AUD on a pen I don't want cracking from normal use to even be a possibility, even if the manufacturer will replace the affected parts for me should it happen.

Edited by dauodwa

http://www.argonpath.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Samurai-Ronin-l-300x150.jpg

"Not to borrow the strength of another, nor to rely on one's own strength; to cut off past and future thoughts, and not to live within the everyday mind ... Then the Great Way is right before one's eyes."

To include "don't own one" in the percentage rather makes this poll a mockery.

i.e. Eco Yes 4 votes = 1.17%

No 97 votes = 28.36%

That is complete rubbish. It should be 4.04% yes and 97.97% no, which gives a true figure of cracking with this model.

If you don't own an Eco your vote does not count. (and so on with other models).

Please scrap this poll and replace with one that has some meaning.

Peter

... I don't want cracking from normal use to even be a possibility, even if the manufacturer will replace the affected parts for me should it happen.

Having a 0% chance of cracking in a plastic pen is impossible.

That said, from what I've seen the older the TWSBI pen, the better chance the chance of it cracking. I think this is mostly because of improvements in manufacturing. Also, the later 580 and Vac models seem to crack more than the Eco; but that may be just because there are fewer Eco's in the sample population (the Eco's are newer).

I live in S.E. Asia and I have had to deal with TWSBI a couple of times for warranty support. I contacted TWSBI in Taipei directly and received good service. They even paid for the shipping for the parts. I imagine your experience in Australia would be similar.

Edited by Drone

Having a 0% chance of cracking in a plastic pen is impossible.

That said, from what I've seen the older the TWSBI pen, the better chance the chance of it cracking. I think this is mostly because of improvements in manufacturing. Also, the later 580 and Vac models seem to crack more than the Eco; but that may be just because there are fewer Eco's in the sample population (the Eco's are newer).

I live in S.E. Asia and I have had to deal with TWSBI a couple of times for warranty support. I contacted TWSBI in Taipei directly and received good service. They even paid for the shipping for the parts. I imagine your experience in Australia would be similar.

Thanks for this. I had a feeling thus was the case re plastic demonstrators but even so I see way more about Twisbis cracking then others. Perhaps this is because they are a more popular pen and therefore the stats are scewed.

Honestly the Twisbi is exactly what I'm looking for: demonstrator, piston, high ink capacity, relatively affordable; so unless I find a more appealing competitor between now and when I'm ready to buy, I think Twisbi 580AL will be my next pen despite the risks.

Cheers!

Edited by dauodwa

"Not to borrow the strength of another, nor to rely on one's own strength; to cut off past and future thoughts, and not to live within the everyday mind ... Then the Great Way is right before one's eyes."

Thanks for this. I had a feeling thus was the case re plastic demonstrators but even so I see way more about Twisbis cracking then others. Perhaps this is because they are a more popular pen and therefore the stats are scewed.

Honestly the Twisbi is exactly what I'm looking for: demonstrator, piston, high ink capacity, relatively affordable; so unless I find a more appealing competitor between now and when I'm ready to buy, I think Twisbi 580AL will be my next pen despite the risks.

Cheers!

I have both the 580 and the Eco. Consider these key points:

1. The 580 posts to the piston knob, which is so-so as long as you are very careful that the piston knob is tight and you make sure it doesn't turn (to avoid an inky mess). Also the 580 is top heavy when posted.

2. The Eco is not only cheaper than the 580, I think the quality is on-par with the 580. The Eco is much more balanced when posted compared to the 580, and the Eco doesn't post to the filler knob. However, some Eco owners (like me) have a problem posting their pens, the caps pop off when posted. But it seems this posting problem with the Eco does not seem to be wide spread. I attribute the Eco's posting problem to air being trapped in the cap and having no way to escape when posted because the cap posts to a rubber O-ring.

So there you have it. Both pens aren't perfect in my opinion. If I had to choose between the 580 and the Eco, I would go for the Eco and take a chance on the posting issue. The 580 is just too top-heavy for me when posted, and I always write posted.

If you are in-fact in Australia and you can't buy the TWSBI pens in-country, you might consider buying from a retailer in Singapore. I buy from Singapore and ship with tracking via Singapore Post (Speedpost). I know of two places to buy TWSBI pens in Singapore:

Overjoyed:

http://www.overjoyed.com.sg/

Straits Pen:

http://aws.straitspen.com

Good Luck, David

I have both the 580 and the Eco. Consider these key points:

1. The 580 posts to the piston knob, which is so-so as long as you are very careful that the piston knob is tight and you make sure it doesn't turn (to avoid an inky mess). Also the 580 is top heavy when posted.

2. The Eco is not only cheaper than the 580, I think the quality is on-par with the 580. The Eco is much more balanced when posted compared to the 580, and the Eco doesn't post to the filler knob. However, some Eco owners (like me) have a problem posting their pens, the caps pop off when posted. But it seems this posting problem with the Eco does not seem to be wide spread. I attribute the Eco's posting problem to air being trapped in the cap and having no way to escape when posted because the cap posts to a rubber O-ring.

So there you have it. Both pens aren't perfect in my opinion. If I had to choose between the 580 and the Eco, I would go for the Eco and take a chance on the posting issue. The 580 is just too top-heavy for me when posted, and I always write posted.

If you are in-fact in Australia and you can't buy the TWSBI pens in-country, you might consider buying from a retailer in Singapore. I buy from Singapore and ship with tracking via Singapore Post (Speedpost). I know of two places to buy TWSBI pens in Singapore:

Overjoyed:

http://www.overjoyed.com.sg/

Straits Pen:

http://aws.straitspen.com

Good Luck, David

Thanks for this, looks like I can get them for a better proce from these websites if I pay in SGD. Funnily enough now I'm thinking Vac 700 due to the larger ink capacity and quirky mechanism. I considered the eco but unfortunately I don't like the way it looks. Thanks again!

Thanks for this, looks like I can get them for a better proce from these websites if I pay in SGD. Funnily enough now I'm thinking Vac 700 due to the larger ink capacity and quirky mechanism. I considered the eco but unfortunately I don't like the way it looks. Thanks again!

OK. Just keep in-mind the TWSBI Vac 700 out-of-the-box does not post properly (at least not if you intend to write more than a couple of paragraphs). This is because since the pen is a sealing vacuum-filler, you have to write with the filler knob loosened so ink can flow. Like the TWSBI 580, the Vac 700's cap posts to the filler knob, and knob must be loosened to write, posting is just not an option with the stock Vac 700 as far as I'm concerned.

There is way to remove a seal in the TWSBI Vac 700 so you can write with the pen while the filler knob is tightened down, this restores your ability to write with the cap posted. The modification involves removing a small rubber seal on the end of the piston. Note however, this modification (obviously) defeats your ability to seal the pen. The modification is reversible, as long as you don't loose the seal.

If you modify the Vac 700 so it will post, you then run into the same problem seen with the TWSBI 580; the pen is too top-heavy.

This YouTube video explains why you must loosen the Vac 700's filler knob, and how to do it:

http://blog.gouletpens.com/2013/03/screw-them-vac-fillers.html

This YouTube video shows you how to do the seal removal modification to both the TWSBI Vac 700 and the Pilot Custom Heritage 823 vacuum filler pens:

http://blog.gouletpens.com/2013/03/removing-vacuum-filler-pen-o-rings.html

One thing the Vac 700 does have going for it though is that it uses a modern No.6 (~6mm diameter) size nib. So you have a several 3rd-party sources for swappable nibs. The TWSBI 580 and Eco both use a smaller (~5mm?) nib.

Enjoy, David

Thanks David! When I started looking at the Twsbi's it becamr clear few of them post properly. Usually I write with my pens posted but considering the overall size of the Twsbi's unposted I think I'll be happy to sacrifice that feature. Also I think you have convinced me to lock in the Vac 700 re the #6 nib. Although I don't swap nibs often I like the option of the #6 nibs asI have many nibs in thay size and can get other brands relatively cheaply from Australia. #5 size would be a bit more problematic for me as I have none already .

Thank you also for the respurces on how to modify the Vac 700! As it would remove my ability to seal the pen however I'll just have to be happy with it unposted. Unfortunately my travel methods and on-the-move storage requires pens that have as little chance of leaking as possible.

The main reason I'm going for the Vac 700 however is aesthetics and ink capacity. I really want to like the aesthetics of the Eco but can't do it.

All this talk makes me think to myself: why oh why did I get into Fountain Pens! I just hope I don't get to the stage where I lose sleep over what to get next.*

Cheers!

*this may already be the case.

To include "don't own one" in the percentage rather makes this poll a mockery.

i.e. Eco Yes 4 votes = 1.17%

No 97 votes = 28.36%

That is complete rubbish. It should be 4.04% yes and 97.97% no, which gives a true figure of cracking with this model.

If you don't own an Eco your vote does not count. (and so on with other models).

Please scrap this poll and replace with one that has some meaning.

And, while you're at it please allow for folks who have more than one of a particular model with mixed results. I have three minis. One (cap) cracked but the other two pens haven't. How do I express that in the poll? Also the last time I looked I didn't see the VAC Mini in there. And, i agree that "don't own one" doesn't add any useful information. I know you're trying to perform a service with the poll and appreciate that but am just expressing a couple of frustrations.

I was going to say you had to vote to see the results then quickly realised this wasn't the case. Yes it's annoying to have to work out the correct percentages. But the worse aspect is how it looks to someone who doesn't comepnsate for the 3rd option in the poll.

Anyway thanks to OP for making this thread.

Edited by dauodwa

I was going to say you had to vote to see the results then quickly realised this wasn't the case. Yes it's annoying to have to work out the correct percentages. But the worse aspect is how it looks to someone who doesn't comepnsate for the 3rd option in the poll.

Anyway thanks to OP for making this thread.

Yes I agree it is a valuable, if flawed, thread.

On the results so far for all models, 26% have cracked and 74% have not. That is out of a total of 668 responses. When you take into account those who have not yet voted, I wonder how that compares with other brands (even MBs have been known to crack).

Peter