(Please Vote) Has Your Twsbi Cracked?

DevrimJan

Has your TWSBI cracked?  

590 members have voted

1. 1. Has your TWSBI Diamond 530 cracked?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Don't own one.
  2. 2. Has your TWSBI Diamond 540 cracked?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Don't own one.
  3. 3. Has your TWSBI Diamond 580 cracked?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Don't own one.
  4. 4. Has your TWSBI Diamond Mini cracked?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Don't own one.
  5. 5. Has your TWSBI Vac 700 cracked?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Don't own one.
  6. 6. Has your TWSBI Classic cracked?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Don't own one.
  7. 7. Has your TWSBI Eco cracked?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Don't own one.

Having heard so many things about TWSBI pens cracking, I thought a poll would be of some use in clearing up the matter with some (hopefully) accurate and representative results. Perhaps we will even be able to see if TWSBI's efforts to improve the issue have in fact been effective, and to see if their current line up still suffers from this problem.

Please vote, and do so honestly. If done correctly, I have a feeling this poll could become a valuable resource.

Edited by DevrimJan

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Drone

• dauodwa

• EBUCKTHORN

• Jamerelbe

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My 540 developed a crack in the outer section plastic, and Philip Wang replaced it immediately. If I understand correctly, the cracking in the 530 and 540 was attributed damage caused by the coating process used to prevent scratching of the plastic.

Edited by Chthulhu

Mike Hungerford

Model Zips - Google Drive

580 - no issues

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I had the Classic and a 580. Both cracked after some months of use. The 580 in the grip section, the Classic in the barrel.

2X540s and both cracked along the barrel after limited use and careful handling. 580s holding up so far.

My TWSBI Classics didn't crack, since they are made of metal. They leaked, they didn't write consistently, but they didn't crack.

My 540 did crack, and I could not get the replacement part installed so I threw it in the trash. Life is too short to deal with junk.

Once I bought a used Vac 700 and it was shipped to me in the dead of a cold, below zero degrees F. winter out of Canada. I saw cracks in the barrel. Phillip Wang fixed me up in a few days with a new part.

never a problem since.

I have 2 Minis, 2 Vacs, and a 580. No cracking.

Dana

http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/postcard-mini.png http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af283/Runnin_Ute/fpn_1424623518__super_pinks-bottle%20resized_zps9ihtoixe.png

However, my new ECO writes and handles very well. The nib is "friction-fitted", but not with much friction. It pulls out too easily. What a bother !

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

I've had multiple pens crack multiple times for the same pen. My 530 practically has no original parts any more.

Edited by Ethereal Winter Wind

My 530 has three cracks in the barrel at the very end. I received a quick, free replacement barrel when I contacted TWSBI.

Yep, mines the first Eco to crack !

“Rome wasn’t built in a day, but then again I wasn’t on that particular job.” - Brian Clough

My 530 had the cap crack and separate twice, and more recently the barrel cracked. I personally prefer the 530 style grip. They're replacing my 530 with mostly 580 parts, as they don't have 530 barrels anymore, but I am keeping my 530 grip and nib.

My 580 hasn't cracked, but it has the problem with the feed leaking into the grip. It has done it since new, but has been getting worse lately. Yesterday I cleaned it out and applied silicone grease, as that fixes it for most people, but it has a good amount of ink under the grip already.

Edited by Hellmark

My 530 is perfect. It starts after long idle periods (months) inked. If I didn't own other pens, this would be great as my only pen.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

My 580 hasn't cracked, but it has the problem with the feed leaking into the grip. It has done it since new, but has been getting worse lately. Yesterday I cleaned it out and applied silicone grease, as that fixes it for most people, but it has a good amount of ink under the grip already.

I have a similar issue with my black Eco. Ink has coated the visible nib under the grip/section plastic. It does not show on the feed side under the plastic, and is not leaking out of the pen. I do not know what this means. Are others's Ecos doing something similar.

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club."

- Jack London

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.png

I have a similar issue with my black Eco. Ink has coated the visible nib under the grip/section plastic. It does not show on the feed side under the plastic, and is not leaking out of the pen. I do not know what this means. Are others's Ecos doing something similar.

I think that's pretty normal for a pen of this design, where the feed is surrounded by a grip section of clear plastic - I've seen the same phenomenon in some of my other demonstrator pens. If it's not leaking, it's nothing to worry about! [The 580 described above, on the other hand, is designed for the ink to stay inside the nib assembly - the grip is just a sleeve around the outside. A leak in that instance is a bit of a concern!]

Yes, thanks. I was just going to post that I contacted TWSBI, and they said the same thing about the Eco. So good to not have that to be concerned about.

Edited by T4TEXAS

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club."

- Jack London

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.png

That's normal for demonstrators. Actually, it's normal for all pens, you just don't see it with non-demonstrators. All of my demonstrators do this.