An 0862 V Ringtop

sidthecat

I've collected a number of Waterman ringtops, and most have been variations on the 52 1/2 v model. But I bought one on eBay that's numbered 0682 v: it's a bit thicker than the other model - about the dimensions of a Wahl-Eversharp ringtop. It's got a swell nib, too.

Does the collective knowledge base know anything about this model? I'd think it was later than the 52s, but you have to be a necromancer to figure out the numbering system.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidthecat

• Xof72000

• Cepasaccus

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here's a picture, and what Mr. Binder's chart reveals:

0 = gold-filled

8 = Broad gold-filled cap lip band

6 = Cone-cap lever-filler

V = Vest-pocket (short) pen

These are all pre-1917 numbers, which gives a rough date for the pen. I just happen to never have run across one before. Has anyone else?

post-118146-0-08135700-1437930872_thumb.jpg

Thanks for adding a picture, but as you don't show the entire pen, it's difficult to say more ...

Your pen looks more like a 52 V ringtop, as far as I can see ...

Sorry to ask, but are you sure to read properly "0682 V" on the end of the pen ?

I've got a "0852V" model, and the only difference with a 52 V is the large band on the cap (it's missing its lever box) :

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i404/Xof72000/P7260002_zpsihmeb1dt.jpg

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i404/Xof72000/P7260004_zpskeapynfd.jpg

Aha! While taking the picture of the digits, I now see that the numbers are 0852 v - which indicates a regular ol' lever-fill. That makes more sense, but it's still a bit bigger than the other Watermans in my collection. Here's a picture of the pen next to a 52 1/2 v.

post-118146-0-31967600-1437943678_thumb.jpg

post-118146-0-18740300-1437944143_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Most Contributions

1. amberleadavis
      amberleadavis
    2. PAKMAN
      PAKMAN
    3. Ghost Plane
      Ghost Plane
    4. inkstainedruth
      inkstainedruth
    5. jar
      jar
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Comments

• Shanghai Knife Dude
      I have the Sailor Naginata and some fancy blade nibs coming after 2022 by a number of new workshop from China.  With all my respect, IMHO, they are all (bleep) in doing chinese characters.  Go use a bush, or at least a bush pen. 
    • A Smug Dill
      It is the reason why I'm so keen on the idea of a personal library — of pens, nibs, inks, paper products, etc. — and spent so much money, as well as time and effort, to “build” it for myself (because I can't simply remember everything, especially as I'm getting older fast) and my wife, so that we can “know”; and, instead of just disposing of what displeased us, or even just not good enough to be “given the time of day” against competition from >500 other pens and >500 other inks for our at
    • adamselene
      Agreed.  And I think it’s good to be aware of this early on and think about at the point of buying rather than rationalizing a purchase..
    • A Smug Dill
      Alas, one cannot know “good” without some idea of “bad” against which to contrast; and, as one of my former bosses (back when I was in my twenties) used to say, “on the scale of good to bad…”, it's a spectrum, not a dichotomy. Whereas subjectively acceptable (or tolerable) and unacceptable may well be a dichotomy to someone, and finding whether the threshold or cusp between them lies takes experiencing many degrees of less-than-ideal, especially if the decision is somehow influenced by factors o
    • adamselene
      I got my first real fountain pen on my 60th birthday and many hundreds of pens later I’ve often thought of what I should’ve known in the beginning. I have many pens, the majority of which have some objectionable feature. If they are too delicate, or can’t be posted, or they are too precious to face losing , still they are users, but only in very limited environments..  I have a big disliking for pens that have the cap jump into the air and fly off. I object to Pens that dry out, or leave blobs o
  • Chatbox

You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More
  • Files