Ruth Feiertag

Perhaps it was inevitable. Both my mother and grandmother are/were not merely fountain-pen users but also fanciers. I guess it's a genetic trait, and I therefore cannot be held accountable for accumulating lovely and functional dispensers of ink.

I read about the FPN on one of the Discussion lists for the annual Month of Letters (http://lettermo.com) challenge. It's taken me a while to join for reasons I can't explain — I couldnt get the sign-up form to work until recently — but I'm happy to have finally figured out how to open the gate.

Below is the old Sheaffer I used to write all my undergraduate papers. Eventually I graduated from college and to other pens, but none have I ever loved more than this first one.
post-123860-0-50922000-1437882406_thumb.jpg

And here, from left to right, are some of my other pens: First, an old, cheap, plastic A&W Sizzlestix whose provenance I do not recall even vaguely but which still works unfailingly. Next, two Schaeffers nicer than the one I used in college, also many years' writing companions.The black pen is a Platinum with a music nib, just in case someday I am struck by Euterpe and need to start writing orchestral scores of Gregorian chants.
post-123860-0-65093200-1437882431_thumb.jpg

The red Romea and Juliet pen (a gift from my mother) has a fusion nib. The top unscrews to reveal a pair of hearts. I keep meaning to replace them with an emergency anti-histamine — not as romantic, but for my purposes, much more practical. Mom gave it to me to take to conferences on Medieval Literature.

After the Pelikan are a Sailor, a Pilot Prera (one of my least favourite pens; it has an unresponsive, slightly scratchy nib), and a Lamy Vista. The Lamy works beautifully and I love the way I can change the nibs when I want a different line.

The last pen is the newest. Its a TWISBI that fills from the inkwell on the far left. I haven't used it yet. Our local pen store has stopped carrying the TWSIBIs because they got so many complaints about how they wrote. Does anyone here use one and have any advice about how to get the best out of mine?

Ruth

Edited by Ruth Feiertag

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ruth Feiertag

• onetake

• PAKMAN

• Bklyn

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a TWSBI 580 and it was wonderful right out of the box.

Welcome!

Anyone like Ray Bradbury? Please read "The Laurel and Hardy Love Affair" if you have about 12 minutes.

You will not forget this wonderful gem that is largely obscure and sadly, forgotten. http://bit.ly/1DZtL4g

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! Glad to have you as a member!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Welcome! :D

I haven't had any issues with my TWSBI 580 either and I've had mine for a bit more than a year.

Pelikan 140 EF | Pelikan 140 OBB | Pelikan M205 0.4mm stub | Pilot Custom Heritage 912 PO | Pilot Metropolitan M | TWSBI 580 EF | Waterman 52 1/2v

What a lovely introduction. I think your collegiate pen was, perhaps, a Sheaffer No-Nonsense. What a nice collection. I have never seen a Romea and Juliet before. It's beautiful.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Thank you for the warm welcome, everyone. Pleased to meet you all.

I'm relieved to know that people have been having good experiences with the TWSBIs. The clerk at the store said that about half the people who bought them, loved them, and the other half HATED them — no in-betweens. But she wouldn't get specific about what the problems were. Has anyone noticed whether it matters what ink one uses?

Extremely Rare: my old college pen is still available all over the place. Even the hardware store carries them. But the nib sections are different now (flat instead of laddered — sorry if i have the terms wrong) and I don't care for the way the ink flows through them.

The R&J IS a nice pen. The nib is a joy: very smooth with a lovely, even flow. I just never know with it when I'm getting low on ink.

Ruth

Hi! Welcome to FPN. :W2FPN:

I'm really glad you've joined us.

Enjoy!

Best wishes from Japan,

VirtuThe3rd

Welcome, Ruth! I saw your No Nonsense pen and that brought back all kinds of memories. I only had mine for about a year in high school, but I did a lot of homework with it, and I think I may hve drafted some of my college application essays with it as well. A great pen that lives up to its name. It's good to have you here.

Edited by onetake

It's so amazing to see so many different flags and to be connected to pen lovers all over the world. I'm wondering what people write with their pens (I write with all of mine; none of them are "just for show"). I guess I'll have to see if there's a discussion on that topic already. If there is such a discussion, point me to it. I might not ask the magic search box the right question to lead me to an answer.

Ruth

I found just such a discussion:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/289690-what-do-you-write/page-1?hl=authors

Onetake: My pen lasted for through my five years of college (there were just too many classes I wanted to take to fit into four years) and beyond. I feel as if I ought to enshrine it somehow — build a small altar and sacrifice drops of ink on it every so often or burn scraps of Rhodia paper before it.

Beechwood, your reply came through as I was writing this note. I glanced at the Write Stuff forum and will definitely spend more time there. Thank you!

Ruth

I have just had one TWSBI out of six that had to be returned for repairs (excellent service by the way). I think it is worth the chance to see if you like them.

Welcome aboard !

Welcome !

I have and use a TWSBI. My writing grip is very light, at a 45-degree slant. I favor Noodler's Eel Blue and Private Reserve inks. They are fairly wet and I write with a very light touch. If you are a traditional fountain pen user, I think the TWSBI should serve you well.

I recognize the venerable blue Sheaffer Nononsense fountain pen. Yours had seen a lot of service, as the clip does not easily break. I wager it still works, as does mine.

Write with joy.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Onetake: My pen lasted for through my five years of college (there were just too many classes I wanted to take to fit into four years) and beyond. I feel as if I ought to enshrine it somehow — build a small altar and sacrifice drops of ink on it every so often or burn scraps of Rhodia paper before it.

LOL if I had mine, I would probably do that as well. I wonder how many other FPN members do that. Does burning Rhodia smell any better than other burnt scraps?

I just got back into using fountain pens recently. As I mentioned in my intro, my leaving for college was a rather haphazard affair because it was an international move. I inadvertently left my pens behind at my parents' house. It's great that you still have yours. I've been building up something of a collection here - I think I have enough Parker 45s for now, so I think I will at some point try to find a No Nonsense calligraphy kit like the one mine came in.

Edited by onetake