Montblanc Pink Ink Review

musicman123

This review is also live on my blog at Inks and Pens so it would be awesome if you could check it out!

Every so often, Montblanc releases a new special edition ink, such as the JFK Navy Blue, or the Corn Poppy Red. Those inks are limited by time and will no longer be made after a certain date. In February 2015, Montblanc publicly released their special edition Pink ink.

http://www.inksandpens.com/content/images/2015/07/IMG_4880-1.jpg

This ink comes in a lovely 30mL cubic bottle with a hefty metal lid. The bottle is quite easy to fill from, with an extra wide lip and good depth. Personally, this is one of my favorite bottle designs in terms of visual appeal.

http://www.inksandpens.com/content/images/2015/07/IMG_4882-1.jpg

The MB Pink is a bright, but not retinal searing, hot pink that is perfect for personal journal writing and the occasional love letter. The color definitely stands out as unique, but not overly flashy. To me, Montblanc really hit the mark with the shade.

http://www.inksandpens.com/content/images/2015/07/IMG_4899-2.jpg

The review was written with a Visconti Homo Sapiens in a B nib, on HP 32lb Premium Choice Laser Paper.

On the page, this ink is very nice and behaves extraordinarily well. I have not noticed any feathering or bleed-through at all, even with extremely wet pens and drips on the page. There is very minimal show-through and is almost nonexistent. There is a little bit of shading from a light pink to a darker shade, but it is quite subtle. With very wet pens and good paper (Tomoe River), you will see an interesting gold sheen that rivals that of J. Herbin's 1670 inks.

http://www.inksandpens.com/content/images/2015/07/IMG_4901-4.jpg

http://www.inksandpens.com/content/images/2015/07/IMG_4906-1.jpg

http://www.inksandpens.com/content/images/2015/07/IMG_0081-1.jpg

The water test of this ink shows that this ink is slightly water resistant. The drips were placed on the grid for 20 seconds then wiped away with a tissue paper. After those 20 seconds, the grid lines are still slightly visible and there is a little bit of smearing.

http://www.inksandpens.com/content/images/2015/07/IMG_4908-1.jpg

The Montblanc Pink is a very close match to Noodler's Baystate Cape Cod Cranberry and is a great alternative if you are put off by the Baystate's staining issue. Compared to Diamine Hope Pink, MB Pink is much darker and more red.

http://www.inksandpens.com/content/images/2015/07/IMG_0078-1.jpg

A bit on the expensive side, the MB Pink Ink can be found for $19.90 as a 30mL bottle directly from the Montblanc website. However, for a beautiful pink color that behaves perfectly, it is well worth the price.

http://www.inksandpens.com/content/images/2015/07/IMG_4903.jpg

I'm quite a bit fan of this ink and I will pick up more bottles if I run out. It will be a sad day when this ink is discontinued. Pick (pink?) it up while you still can!

What do you guys think about this color? Let me know in the comments! Are there any other inks that are very similar to this?

Edited by musicman123

fpn_1434432647__fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pinks-bottle_200x159.jpg

Check out my blog at Inks and Pens

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• musicman123

• ______Zaphod_Beeblebrox

• Abner C. Kemp

• ScienceChick

Yes, I also love this ink!

It is Similar to a Iroshizuku ink called KOSUMOSU - COSMOS

The Montblanc is darker however.

Yes, I also love this ink!

It is Similar to a Iroshizuku ink called KOSUMOSU - COSMOS

The Montblanc is darker however.

I agree. It is a tad bit darker, but to me, not by a lot. Kosomosu is more of a hot bubblegum pink.

I agree. It is a tad bit darker, but to me, not by a lot. Kosomosu is more of a hot bubblegum pink.

Yep, I like that, Hot Bubble Gum Pink! That is what I have in my Montblanc Lipstick Fountain Pen, oops sorry, I meant Boheme Fountain Pen!

When you run out feel free to purchase my bottle as I am unsure what I will ever use this particular shade for. Certainly interesting but much too bright for my uses, while still being too nice for highlighting duty.

When you run out feel free to purchase my bottle as I am unsure what I will ever use this particular shade for. Certainly interesting but much too bright for my uses, while still being too nice for highlighting duty.

I will definitely keep it in mind! :)

This definitely won't do as a highlighter ink! It is quite dark and may obscure writing :). Pink isn't really a common writing color anyways, but I sure like it!

Really nice review of one of my favorite pinks.

Life's too short to use crappy pens.  -carlos.q

I had actually planned to buy this, but the Montblanc store in Chicago is closed down for "renovations"! I don't even know if they sell their ink there anyway though. So right now I'm starring at samples of Iroshizuku Kosumosu, J Herbin Rose Cyclamen, and Noodler's Atlantic Salmon. Ontop of that, I'm also staring at Iroshizuku Ama-Iro, Montgrappa Turquois, and Private Reserve Daphne Blue. Decisions, decisions....

I had actually planned to buy this, but the Montblanc store in Chicago is closed down for "renovations"! I don't even know if they sell their ink there anyway othough. So right now I'm starring at samples of Iroshizuku Kosumosu, J Herbin Rose Cyclamen, and Noodler's Atlantic Salmon. Ontop of that, I'm also staring at Iroshizuku Ama-Iro, Montgrappa Turquois, and Private Reserve Daphne Blue. Decisions, decisions....

Try calling the boutique at the O'Hare airport?

Edited by StrawberryJam

Current Wishlist:

Visconti, Visconti, and...more Visconti! (And some ST Duponts too). (Ok fine, getting on the Omas and Montblanc trains now too. Toot toot.) (And maybe on the Montegrappa one too, but only for the Miyas.)

• 4 weeks later...

I bought a bottle tonight at the Montblanc store in Tampa at international plaza and Bay Street Mall. Same mall as Renaissance Marriott Tampa. They also had a bottle of Corn Poppy.

I'll be using the pink ink to fill out my forms tomorrow at the Moffitt Cancer Center Breast Cancer clinic--appropriate, no?