New Sac For A Nice Parker Uk Squeeze Converter

Flounder

I've just received my first Parker 65!

Rather than get something modern, I'd really like to rescue its original squeeze converter, whose sac has hardened. It adds a nice weight to the pen, the original sac capacity looks usefully large, and as converters go... it's really quite handsome! The corrosion in this photo has since cleaned up nicely.

Ideally, I'd like to use a synthetic sac, as the way the converter is put together doesn't lend itself to repeated disassembly and reassembly.

• Which are the good and bad synthetic sac types again?
  • Are there any with P51 sac (too fat for this converter) style channeling lines?
  • Any UK sources?

Very grateful for any advice offered.

http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy19/flounder2009/Parker%20UK%20Squeeze%20Converter%20Resac/Parker%20UK%20Squeeze%20Converter.jpg

Edited by Flounder

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Flounder

• Beechwood

• Vintagepens

How fortuitous, the exact same converter too! I didn't even know you had a YouTube channel - pop a link on your website sometime, your content is always a treat.

I was thinking of staking the protector after resacing, on virgin areas of the metal protector and converter plug. Do you feel that's unnecessary, is it enough to just heat and reinsert? If so I will leave it as is.

Thankfully I had the perfect tool to protect the plug during disassembly, as this 65's connector has started to rot away - the pen's own piercing tube!

Thank you very much David! Off to source a size 16 tapered PVC sac.

ps - I found that the hardened sac could be extracted in one piece with tweezers, by first softening in hot water. That way, there's no tedious scraping out of the protector to be done, and the old sac serves as a handy gauge of length to cut the fresh one to.

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

I don't see any need to restake the protector. I've done this repair job many times, and I've just lined up the original stake marks and pushed things back into place after a bit of gentle heating.

As far as I know, the PVC sacs generally available are all straight in profile, so not sure if a 16 would fit -- you might have to go with a 15.

Thanks for the kind comments about the site. Would love to get more videos done, but so many projects, so little time . . . .

Edited by Vintagepens

I think I've leave it be then. I suppose it's not under much tension as the converter is pulled off the pen, and if it ever does loosen, I can always restake in the future.

I actually ordered a size 16 clear sac descibed as 'silicon and PVC' earlier today, the supplier actually mentioned using them himself to resac converters. I will report back on whether it fits or not.

If it doesn't fit, I think I'd rather use latex rather than go down a size, as the tipping on this 65 is fairly generous.

Off to read more about pneumatic Parkers now, your blog is a gem!

Edited by Flounder

The new straight size 16 PVC sac arrived:

• It's about 3mm shorter than the original sac, when inserted into the cage as far as it will easily go, so there must be some reduction in capacity.
  • I cut the new sac to 55mm.
  • The old sac was cut to about 58mm, I suspect it could have been cut a little longer and still fit inside the cage.
  • The capacity of the new sac (before fitting) is either 1 or 1.1ml depending on whether I bleed my 1ml syringe's needle before measurement.

post-29904-0-27381600-1438105970_thumb.jpg

I reckon the straight PVC sac is a decent compromise between longevity and capacity, so I'll be fitting it. In the meantime, I've given the sac nipple a barrier coat of shellac, just in case there are any plasticiser worries down the line.

post-29904-0-30090400-1438107070_thumb.jpg

ps - low heat and a blunt blade helped peel the old sac from the nipple like a gross old orange!

post-29904-0-37709600-1438107347_thumb.jpg

Its a long time since I took a P65 to pieces but from memory should the nipple on the converter be longer than the one you have shown, as described in the thread below?

Edited by Beechwood

Hi Beechwood, thanks for that link.

The nipple on the converter is pretty much identical to the profile of a Parker cartridge, so I reckon it must be okay in the 65. I received the pen with this converter in it. Also, from what I've read, the 65 was solely an English market pen, and the converter is England marked (see my first photo).

I'll report back with a more definite answer when I have the converter reassembled and the new brass connector arrives.

Edited by Flounder

If you have a problem let me know, I may have a converter to fit. I think that the one I have has ridges or a even a thread on the nipple too, not smooth as other converters.

Thanks Beechwood!

Rereading your link, you say "a US converter (including modern Parker converters) which is the top one will not fit this pen", but it is the bottom converter in your photo that is US marked. I'm slightly confused!

Thanks Beechwood!

Rereading your link, you say "a US converter (including modern Parker converters) which is the top one will not fit this pen", but it is the bottom converter in your photo that is US marked. I'm slightly confused!

Understandably! I am looking at two Parker converters, one regular the other came out of a 65 with a longer and ribbed nipple. i have only had two or three 65s and all in the past, I cannot recall whether an ordinary converter fitted ok or not. It would seem logical that they dont fit and that is why the 65 had a longer nipple, I guess that Parker must have had a reason for making a variation on their converter.

See how you get on, I have this one if a regular converter doesnt work.

Edited by Beechwood

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Beechwood

I finally set the time aside to put the 65 back together, and my England marked squeeze converter definitely fits in the barrel. There's a little leeway too, tested by putting a small blob of rodico on the end of the converter, and checking it for squish after screwing the barrel on and off.