Pilot Prera F...wish It Was A M

PaperQueen

Oh wise ones, I need a bit of assistance....

Just received a Pilot Prera demonstrator with an F nib, thinking it would be more akin to a U.S. M nib (isn't that the direction most Asian nibs drift?). This is definitely too fine for my liking; what nib could I swap out instead?

I love how a Lamy Safari F (and M, for that matter) writes, so that's the goal.

Suggestions, anyone?

UPDATE:

It was brought to my attention that the F followed by ellipses could be construed as...um...unsavory language. My bad, but no idea if/how a thread title can be edited...? Ooooooooooooops!

Edited by Paper_Queen

Why are there fourteen samples of dark plum ink on my desk? Because I still haven't found the right shade.

Is that a problem...??? : : : sigh : : :

Update: Great. Finally found one I love (Lamy Dark Lilac) but I can't get more. Ah, life in my inky world....

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PaperQueen

• rdh

• Mike 59

• Kataphract

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds good ! A medium nib should suit you nicely. It it is a bit too wet, write with less pressure.

Reminder : The cartridges can be refilled with bottle ink, using a syringe.

Write with joy.

( Sorry for mis-judging you. " F_ _ _ " means "Fine". My mistake. :lticaptd: )

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

( Sorry for mis-judging you. " F_ _ _ " means "Fine". My mistake. :lticaptd: )

Ohmygosh.... Didn't even occur to me when I used that in the title. OOPS. :headsmack:

The pen came from Amazon, and has been inked twice (using converter both times, hoping it was simply going to be a dry ink issue). Not sure it's returnable at this point.

I found an older forum thread by a gentleman wanting to swap out his M for a F or XF. The suggested options were to either purchase a 78G nib -or- a Pilot Penmanship to poach the nib from. Neither appears to be available (that I can find) in M.

A silver nib would look better than the 78G, to match the hardware, if possible.

Why are there fourteen samples of dark plum ink on my desk? Because I still haven't found the right shade.

Update: Great. Finally found one I love (Lamy Dark Lilac) but I can't get more. Ah, life in my inky world....

A Pilot Plumix is inexpensive and has an italic nib that can give you line variation. Very fun to use. Oh, and it's nib fits perfectly on the Prera. You can get it for less than $10 at most office supply stores like Staples.

Dave

Pilot Metropolitans are available in F or M, and are swappable with the Prera. The 78G has a fair number of nibs available, and are swappable, but harder to find since they are not directly imported.

Personally, I'm with rdh (immediately above) and love the medium "calligraphy" (stub) nib that's on the Plumix and is swappable - it's the same one that you can buy directly on the Prera.

I've never tried a stub nib, on anything (well, not since high school, which was :::ahem::: a while ago). Might be a good time to give it a shot.

Thanks for the suggestion, rdh and kataphract.

Hi, I did a test comparison of the two different nibs, Lamy and Pilot 'M' nibs.

The Pilot 'B' nib would be more like the Lamy 'M' although nibs do vary in width, even with the same grade marked on them, plus the ink and paper make a big difference.

In my photo I used Rhodia 80g lined paper.

Hi, I did a test comparison of the two different nibs, Lamy and Pilot 'M' nibs.

The Pilot 'B' nib would be more like the Lamy 'M' although nibs do vary in width, even with the same grade marked on them, plus the ink and paper make a big difference.

In my photo I used Rhodia 80g lined paper.

This is great, Mike 59---thanks for taking the time to shoot and share a pic. :)

A Pilot Plumix is inexpensive and has an italic nib that can give you line variation. Very fun to use. Oh, and it's nib fits perfectly on the Prera. You can get it for less than $10 at most office supply stores like Staples.

Dave

Pilot Metropolitans are available in F or M, and are swappable with the Prera. The 78G has a fair number of nibs available, and are swappable, but harder to find since they are not directly imported.

Personally, I'm with rdh (immediately above) and love the medium "calligraphy" (stub) nib that's on the Plumix and is swappable - it's the same one that you can buy directly on the Prera.

Did it---I swapped out the Prera's F for a Plumix M italic. Can definitely see I'll enjoy this new option (my first italic nib).

Probably still need to pick up a Pilot Metropolitan for a M round, since that's what I'll use most often, day to day.

Thanks for all the assistance, everyone. Yet again, I'm impressed by the wisdom of FPN. :notworthy1: