Are These Parker 45 Flighter Fountain Pens?

electrfunch

Hi to all,

can you help me in two points:

1. Are the pens in the photos bellow Parker 45 Flighter model? (it looks like from what I've seen of pictures through Google-it)
  2. Is there a way to date them? (I search the web but the methods I've seen all talked about gold trims and these are all silver...)

Here are the photos.

It's a duo set, with two fountain pens in a box. One is a Medium Nib and the Other a Fine nib.

post-124037-0-81544200-1437755461_thumb.jpg

post-124037-0-41048300-1437755463_thumb.jpg

One thing I noticed and found strange is that one says "Made in France" and the other "Made in England"...

post-124037-0-63324500-1437755464_thumb.jpg

The box looks old and is not in very good condition as you can see bellow. But the pens are in great shape.

post-124037-0-02657900-1437755466_thumb.jpg

To be honest the reason I would like to confirm the model and a date range, if possible, is just to sell them because I do not use them. I wanted to put them for sale somewhere like the eBay but at least I want to put the correct description on it.

This being a Parker forum, please don't get me wrong these are good pens and both are smooth and wet writers but I have quite some fountain pens already and end up using other. Mainly because of the size.

Your inputs will be very helpful and appreciated.

Thanks!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• electrfunch

• mitto

• mariom

• icardoth

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes , these are early Parker 45 flighters from the 70s. Check out the nibs. These should have 14k gold nibs.

Khan M. Ilyas

Yes, both are Parker 45 fountain pens in "Flighter" model. I would date them in the early '70s according to the chrome end cap.

Yes , these are early Parker 45 flighters from the 70s. Check out the nibs. These should have 14k gold nibs.

I just checked the nibs and they are stainless steel, no gold markings just a Parker logo.

Have a look here for Parker 45 stuff: https://parker45pens.wordpress.com/

Yes, both Parker 45 Flighters - both from between around 1970 to 1979 - the period of time when the chrome end cap was in production.

The ink converters would suggest that one is older then the other, the slimline ink converter being the more modern version.

Have a look at the screw threading in the barrel. The very last of these had a brass threaded insert in the barrel, earlier ones had black plastic. If they are black plastic that would narrow the manufacture date to around 70 - 77. If brass then likely to be 78/79.

With 45's dating is always a bit hit and miss but that should give you a rough idea.

Have a look here for Parker 45 stuff: https://parker45pens.wordpress.com/

Yes, both Parker 45 Flighters - both from between around 1970 to 1979 - the period of time when the chrome end cap was in production.

The ink converters would suggest that one is older then the other, the slimline ink converter being the more modern version.

Have a look at the screw threading in the barrel. The very last of these had a brass threaded insert in the barrel, earlier ones had black plastic. If they are black plastic that would narrow the manufacture date to around 70 - 77. If brass then likely to be 78/79.

With 45's dating is always a bit hit and miss but that should give you a rough idea.

Thanks for all the information, and that site you linked it's great! Really liked the Dating timeline diagram, it's clean and clear.

I looked at the screw threading in the barrel and it's the full length black plastic one in both pens. So the date should be around 70 - 77 as you mentioned above.

Thanks for this.

Do you think I should sell them together as a set or separate?

The box is not in great shape so I'm thinking the bundle two + case has no real interest...

I just checked the nibs and they are stainless steel, no gold markings just a Parker logo.

Ideally these early 45s should have gold nibs. Mine from the period all have gold nibs. May be these have replacement nibs. But gold or steel nibs the 45s and especialy the earlier flihters are classic pens. Keep them in your collection if you can. Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

Do you think I should sell them together as a set or separate?

The box is not in great shape so I'm thinking the bundle two + case has no real interest...

I wouldn't think that these two were a set when sold, so it wouldn't make much sense to try selling them as such. In any case, you're not looking at a high value item. Nice pens, but very common.

=====================================
Mario Mirabile
Melbourne, Australia

www.miralightimaging.com

Thanks for the feedback.

I will probably keep on for myself and sell the other.

Btw, I'm wondering about the pen in the image bellow (which is of very poor quality!)

post-124037-0-50665800-1437822441_thumb.jpg

The guy trying to sell it says it's a Parker, but I'm Googling it and cannot find anything similar yet.

Can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback.

I will probably keep on for myself and sell the other.

Btw, I'm wondering about the pen in the image bellow (which is of very poor quality!)

attachicon.giff1.jpg

The guy trying to sell it says it's a Parker, but I'm Googling it and cannot find anything similar yet.

Can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Cant see the pen.

Khan M. Ilyas

Very poor picture, but based on the loose and basic looking plastic inner cap, I'd say it's a cheap Chinese pen. I wouldn't touch it in that condition, and certainly wouldn't consider it just because of the poor image quality.

Mario Mirabile
Melbourne, Australia

www.miralightimaging.com

Very poor picture, but based on the loose and basic looking plastic inner cap, I'd say it's a cheap Chinese pen. I wouldn't touch it in that condition, and certainly wouldn't consider it just because of the poor image quality.

Thanks, wont waist more time on it.