Asa Daily

J_MM

I see you're flying a Russian flag; have you had any issues with the Athlete burping ink when warming up? I am curious how well its elongated section deals with air expansion in the barrel.

I had no issues with Athlete burping. But I only got it in June and the summer was quite hot here. Now the cold days are near and I will report how my eyedropper pens behave under variable temperature.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• J_MM

• amarjit

• fromthecrowd

• Arkanabar

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I do have Athlete and I Can. both inked but have not taken them out. Today i had Galactic and Gama Raja with me both perhaps same #6 (#35) nibs and feeds. temperature was 48 deg. C and walked in the hot sun for sometime. No burping.

Regards

Subramoniam

Hm. I think I can anticipate the possibility a temperature jump of as much as 20 deg. C come winter, going from car to office. What sort of indoor temperatures do you have? And also, how full were your pens?

As to temperature jump it depends on how you carry your pen. While in your pocket it will not cool much at all. Also if you carry it in your bag cooling takes some considerable time. And if the pen is in the nib up position transportation temperature will not affect it. The air will go in and out of the feeding system while the ink will stay in the lower part of the barrel.

The main issue occurs when temperature in your room is in the low twenties C and lower. You pick up the pen and it starts to warm up as you write. The air bubble expands with temperature rise. If the feed system does not cope with ink the burp happens.

This summer I carried the Athlete about a lot. But it was rather hot outside. So there was little opportunity to test burping properties. Inside it is still in the upper twenties C. So conditions for testing are inadequate.

When received the Athlete was deliberately tested it with about 0.5 ml of ink. These tests were carried out with room temperature of 28 C. No burps observed.

I also have to warn you. The pen came with well tuned nib. But it was installed hastily. The feed was tilted to the side. Initially the pen could not be written with. The ink bled from the feed and drops fell on the paper. I knocked out the feed and installed it properly. After that the pen became perfect. So if you don't plan to put some effort into tuning I would not recommend this pen. At the same time ASA pens with German nibs (like the Daily) are absolutely ready to use from the start.

Edited by fromthecrowd

• 2 weeks later...

Arkanabar

Today temperature in Moscow was around 18 degrees Celsius. I had to take some hasty notes shortly after entering the building. ASA Athlete did not actually burp, but demonstrated excessive ink flow. The line was so wet that it feathered strongly on Leuchtturm 1917 paper. The text remained readable but the situation was rather risky. So, unfortunately the pen did not pass the field test. I will not carry it around with me anymore. Probably it cannot be recommended as EDC in moderate climate.

Oh, I must add that ASA Athlete was half empty at the moment of failure. In the summer, when the temperature was around 28, the pen functioned perfectly no matter how full.