A Review Of The Pilot Namiki Vanishing Point

JamesPenBoutique

I had mixed feelings about this one originally. I really liked the idea of a vanishing point and the hood feature, but I was unsure about the clip being placed where I hold the instrument. I was afraid it would feel awkward but instead it ended up allowing me to hold it with a little more control.

Aesthetics: I like the look of this pen even though it seems reversed with the clip being where it is. In this case the metallic copper red with the black trim definitely drew my attention. An 8 out of 10

Build: The construction of this writing instrument seems very sleek, sound, and the hood portion built in to protect the nib from all sorts of drops or mishandlings seems to be a very innovative idea. An 8 out of 10

Balance: The weight is decent. Not too heavy and not too light for my tastes. I also like that the clip did not really add any extra weight to the barrel. An 8 out of 10

Nib: I tried a broad nib while giving this a test run. I had not yet used a broad nib but it seemed closer to a medium to me. The durability of it seems and feels sound. A 7 out of 10

Maintenance: You can use either a cartridge or a converter as your ink dispenser. Personal preference comes in to play in that regard but cleaning the nib itself seems easy enough. The nib is smaller due to the hood feature but I was able to clean it without any issues arising. A 9 out of 10

Cost: The price tag is around the $175.00 mark which I do not have any issue with. Seems like a fair price for a writing instrument that I truly enjoyed and had no true problems with. A 7 out of 10

Total: 47 out of 60

post-123702-0-29862000-1437669799_thumb.jpg

post-123702-0-52741200-1437669801_thumb.jpg

Pen Boutique - Gifts for now, Forever http://www.penboutique.com/

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JamesPenBoutique

• Jamerelbe

• Tasmith

• cimmerian

Thanks for the review. I also have one in Black Carbon finish. Nice pen, but quite heavy for my taste. I prefer the Pilot Decimo, with the same features but lighter than the Vanishing Point.

Edited by icardoth

Thanks for the review. I also have one in Black Carbon finish. Nice pen, but quite heavy for my taste. I prefer the Pilot Decimo, with the same features but lighter than the Vanishing Point.

No problem! I will have to look into the Decimo!

That got me thinking... what's the appeal of a "click" pen? I mean, I loved when I saw it at Goulet Pens and thought "how cool!" but then my partner said "uh... why would you want such a mechanism on a fountain pen?".

Well... I had no answer.

So, what's the personal appeal of the people in this forum for wanting or considering a vanishing point? Mine's just because it's a cool concept, rare amongst fountain pens (if I cared about practical stuff, I wouldn't be so into fountain pens to begin with). What's yours?

Who knows what ink lurks in the hearts of pen? The Shadow knows!

Thanks for the review. I like a vanishing point because I often have to write intermittently, and it is easy to open and close it.

Edited by Frank C

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

That got me thinking... what's the appeal of a "click" pen? I mean, I loved when I saw it at Goulet Pens and thought "how cool!" but then my partner said "uh... why would you want such a mechanism on a fountain pen?".

Well... I had no answer.

It allows you to write intermittently, such as taking notes at a meeting, without the nib drying out between bouts of writing. Quicker/easier than popping the cap on and off (or unscrewing re-screwing the cap on and off).

It allows you to write intermittently, such as taking notes at a meeting, without the nib drying out between bouts of writing. Quicker/easier than popping the cap on and off (or unscrewing re-screwing the cap on and off).

I agree, also I do not have to worry so much about setting down a cap and it disappearing or dropping the writing instrument on its nib :)

I had mixed feelings about this one originally. I really liked the idea of a vanishing point and the hood feature, but I was unsure about the clip being placed where I hold the instrument. I was afraid it would feel awkward but instead it ended up allowing me to hold it with a little more control.

I'm on the other end of the spectrum. Have had a Namiki Vanishing Point for 20 years that gets inked up, then rinsed out over and over. Keep thinking I can get used to the position of the clip, but every new attempt reminds me that there was a reason I put it back into storage last time.

In the end, it all boils down to one's personal "pitch and roll." Mine's not compatible with the Namiki, drats.

Definitely one of those pens that requires a test drive before purchase.

Why are there fourteen samples of dark plum ink on my desk? Because I still haven't found the right shade.

Is that a problem...??? : : : sigh : : :

Update: Great. Finally found one I love (Lamy Dark Lilac) but I can't get more. Ah, life in my inky world....

^^ This. I have to make a lot of margin notes on reports, and with a conventional pen I'm either leaving it uncapped (where it dries out quickly), or constant on/off. I actually broke caps on the Varsity disposable FPs from so much cap switching. The VP is perfect for me. I use the body of the pen as a pointer while I scan the reports, and when I get to a section that needs notation, I just click and write. Very smooth.

Well... I had no answer.

So, what's the personal appeal of the people in this forum for wanting or considering a vanishing point? Mine's just because it's a cool concept, rare amongst fountain pens (if I cared about practical stuff, I wouldn't be so into fountain pens to begin with). What's yours?

It's convenient for "stop and go" writing, for one-handed jotting of notes and signatures, anything that does not involve a longer sustained writing session - for which a lighter pen would be preferable anyway.

At work, I usually carry a VP in my shirt pocket, because I often get asked to sign documents when in the hallway, in my assistant's office, etc. Not having to deal with a cap makes it quicker and easier.

Plus: with the nib retracted, you have a practically bombproof pen -- it's just a metal tube. It's the only FP that I will just toss carelessly into my briefcase.

It's convenient for "stop and go" writing, for one-handed jotting of notes and signatures, anything that does not involve a longer sustained writing session - for which a lighter pen would be preferable anyway.

At work, I usually carry a VP in my shirt pocket, because I often get asked to sign documents when in the hallway, in my assistant's office, etc. Not having to deal with a cap makes it quicker and easier.

Plus: with the nib retracted, you have a practically bombproof pen -- it's just a metal tube. It's the only FP that I will just toss carelessly into my briefcase.

Just don't lend one to your pre-teen son who shares your obsession with fountain pens - at least, not if there's any chance he could drop it, nib down, onto a hard wooden floor... :bawl:

http://i.imgur.com/rqqUYZ6.jpg

I managed to straighten it somewhat, but don't have the tools (or skills) to go any further - and none of the nib repairers I've spoken to in Australia want to touch it...

Edited by Jamerelbe

Cost: The price tag is around the $175.00 mark which I do not have any issue with. Seems like a fair price for a writing instrument that I truly enjoyed and had no true problems with. A 7 out of 10

Total: 47 out of 60

I see on your website the VP is on sale for $140. That's what I paid a year and a half ago for my VP at your Montgomery Mall store. Good Price.

Edited by Tasmith

Jamerelbe, you're fortunate that the nib unit can be purchased separately for only about $60!

Yep, that's what the nib technicians I spoke to both said: cheaper to buy a replacement than pay for repairs. Just seems a crying shame, though. Still, the F nib was (in some ways) a little TOO fine for my tastes - so I'm weighing up my options. I could wait around to buy a stub nib when they're released (those look really good)... or I could save myself $10 and buy one of the older 14K gold nibs that are currently in stock at Anderson Pens. (Am I happy for my matte black 'stealth' VP to have a shiny gold nib?? Still trying to wrap my head around that one...)

In all of this, I've failed to say: thanks for the review: the Vanishing Point is one of my favourite pens, especially for everyday carry - the easy retractability of the nib is hard to beat!

I love the pen and it's versatility, But I find that during longer writing sessions, the thin side of the clips begins to dig uncomfortably into my index finger.

It's a great option for a jotter of a fountain pen, but I prefer something more comfortable and conventional for serious writing.

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

Thank you all for the great responses! They convinced my spouse that a Vanishing Point might me a good idea for a Christmas gift. :lol:

Who knows what ink lurks in the hearts of pen? The Shadow knows!

I see on your website the VP is on sale for $140. That's what I paid a year and a half ago for my VP at your Montgomery Mall store. Good Price.

attachicon.gifPilotVPYoshidaShoinWeb 250px.jpg

Indeed it is! Great to see you have been to the Montgomery store. I work at the Columbia store!