Posted Images

Thank you Mishka. :)

I shall post a similar picture soon.

I ended up ordering 10 bottles in total

4 Emerald of Chivor

3 bleu ocean

2 stormy grey

1 rouge hematite

Not all of them are for me, some have been ordered by friends.

Still not enough to surpass the number of bottles of Japanese inks. :P

Here we go :)

Pretty bottles ;)attachicon.gif20150806_105424-01-01.jpeg

I actually had to catch my breath when this picture popped up. What's wrong with me??

If this ink is even half as cool as the images, it will be a huge seller. When, oh when will mine come in!?!?

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

My Emerald of Chivor has arrived. I was blown away by the reviews, and it looks gorgeous.

However, I'm afraid I'm a bit disappointed with the ink. It's beautifully smooth, rich and feels excellent quality, but I think you must need a really wet-writing, juicy wide nib and probably Tomoe-style paper (as Attila says) to see the wonder of the ink.

In my fat medium nib, wet Sheaffer Lady, on Rhodia & Oxford Optik paper, I see only a tiny hint of gold on some words. I get no red or light teal sheen at all. (I shook the bottle vigorously before filling)

I took a photo, but only on my phone, and you can't see the gold at all.

The ink is lovely, and maybe I'll get some Tomoe River, but I'm not sure what I'd use that paper for, personally.

My Emerald of Chivor has arrived. I was blown away by the reviews, and it looks gorgeous.

However, I'm afraid I'm a bit disappointed with the ink. It's beautifully smooth, rich and feels excellent quality, but I think you must need a really wet-writing, juicy wide nib and probably Tomoe-style paper (as Attila says) to see the wonder of the ink.

In my fat medium nib, wet Sheaffer Lady, on Rhodia & Oxford Optik paper, I see only a tiny hint of gold on some words. I get no red or light teal sheen at all. (I shook the bottle vigorously before filling)

The ink is lovely, and maybe I'll get some Tomoe River, but I'm not sure what I'd use that paper for, personally.

Did you give the bottle a good shake before you filled your fountain pen?

Ink, a drug.

― Vladimir Nabokov, Bend Sinister

Instagram:
a.transient.life

I'm not sure, because I only had a sample, but I don't have a better advice than what I wrote in the OP

The process of filling up pens with this and the Stormy Grey is pretty much the same. Shake the bottle till you can't see any gold at the bottom, and then quikly fill your pen. This is the best was to get a good amount of gold in your pen.

As for sheen, I tend to get the most after filling pens and when the ink level is lower. But of course, Tomoe River is crazy so it can reveal most aspects of inks.

Here is a sample on different kind of papers. It does seem more subtle and sheen doesn't really appear.

BTW, going slower and using printed writing can both help with sheen/shading/gold.

The pens are still the Lamy Safari 1.5 and the Pelikan M600 Medium.

http://kephost.com/images/2015/08/07/952cf84631c210913e8e3e29e63774dc.jpg

You can see a hint of sheen on the Clairefontaine, but not too strong. I was writing with a more normal speed now.

Edited by attika89

Thank you haruka337 & attika89 for your comments. (Attika89, your writing is stunning!)

Yes, I shook the bottle vigorously. I noticed lots of gold on the tissue when I wiped the nib.

I also took my Rhodia pad outside in the bright midday sun (admittedly, this is England ;). I could see the gold and a little red sheen, especially when I wrote slowly, as you say. Maybe my eyesight is letting me down in electric light!

Edited by Bex66

@attika: Your handwriting is divine! I wish I could write like that. Did you always write so neat and consistent, or did you acquire that skill over several years of practice?

In general: I TOLD myself I was not getting this ink. I told myself it's nothing remarkable. I told myself glitter is not my thing, I'm a 40-something (generally a square) guy who shouldn't have much to do with glitter. I told myself many things to dissuade me from the Chivor.

But... Today I was sitting and writing in my Fabriano, Kaweco Ice Sports with 1.9 nibs, one for each matching color, Red Ice Sport with Rouge Hematite; Blue Ice Sport with Bleu Ocean (glittery formula); and all clear demonstrator with Stormy Grey. Lastly I have the Green Ice Sport but it's got PR Ebony Green (had to settle with that since there was no 1670 green in existence at the time).

The ink is so dazzling..

I went online and saw this post. I started browsing online..

and...

Cultpens you have my order for Chivor now!

My life won't be complete unless I get this one.

And as for the bit about the 40 year old square getting excited over glitter... well.. I'm going to keep all my glitter as a private vice, no one needs to know, or needs to see.

ah the turmoil that I cause when I try to fight the urge for ink.

Edited by pepsiplease69

The hype around this ink is incredible, I don't think J. Herbin expected it to get so crazy. I am, however, afraid, that as soon as the ink starts shipping, a lot of people are going to be disappointed. To get the sheen you need to write with a gushing super broad nib or just squirt ink all over the page. And, of course, you need Tomoe River paper (or similar) to get that effect. For 99% of real-world writing there's not going to be any sheen, and the gold will be barely visible with a naked eye. The bottles look crazy good together. And yes, I am a sceptic, but have all three, and will buy the fourth.

---

Please, visit my website at http://www.acousticpens.com/

@attika: Your handwriting is divine! I wish I could write like that. Did you always write so neat and consistent, or did you acquire that skill over several years of practice?

In general: I TOLD myself I was not getting this ink. I told myself it's nothing remarkable. I told myself glitter is not my thing, I'm a 40-something (generally a square) guy who shouldn't have much to do with glitter. I told myself many things to dissuade me from the Chivor.

But... Today I was sitting and writing in my Fabriano, Kaweco Ice Sports with 1.9 nibs, one for each matching color, Red Ice Sport with Rouge Hematite; Blue Ice Sport with Bleu Ocean (glittery formula); and all clear demonstrator with Stormy Grey. Lastly I have the Green Ice Sport but it's got PR Ebony Green (had to settle with that since there was no 1670 green in existence at the time).

The ink is so dazzling..

I went online and saw this post. I started browsing online..

and...

Cultpens you have my order for Chivor now!

My life won't be complete unless I get this one.

And as for the bit about the 40 year old square getting excited over glitter... well.. I'm going to keep all my glitter as a private vice, no one needs to know, or needs to see.

ah the turmoil that I cause when I try to fight the urge for ink.

First of all, thank you so much! :happy:

I've been always told that I have nice handwriting, but only started practicing a couple years ago. I've even been told that my handwriting looks girlish :lol:

Tried the Palmer method first, but never really mastered it. It was a good starting point, then I just went how it felt good. The hardest was to slow down, try to be more precise and be less shaky.

As for me there wasn't a single question if I need this ink or not :lol:

I just fell in love after seeing the first photos of it...Not an everyday, note taking ink, but it is fun for sure! I really hope you'll like it like the other 3!

I need to fight myself more for resisting pens, but I jump on inks more easily. Not hoarding, because I only get what I really like, but still.

The hype around this ink is incredible, I don't think J. Herbin expected it to get so crazy. I am, however, afraid, that as soon as the ink starts shipping, a lot of people are going to be disappointed. To get the sheen you need to write with a gushing super broad nib or just squirt ink all over the page. And, of course, you need Tomoe River paper (or similar) to get that effect. For 99% of real-world writing there's not going to be any sheen, and the gold will be barely visible with a naked eye. The bottles look crazy good together. And yes, I am a sceptic, but have all three, and will buy the fourth.

Yes, the hype is big! Maybe even bigger then it was with the Stormy Grey.

I can agree that people will be disappointed, if they can't get the sheen and/or the gold they are expecting. I always try to share the best results I get, but also tried to include different papers to see that it is really an important factor.

I've received a lot of questions regarding the Stromy Grey and that how I'm able to get so much gold, even though I did not do anything special, just shook the bottle and filled the pen. I could see the gold with SG on most papers though. If you are writing fast and use cursive writing it gets harder to see the gold, but even if you just slow down a little it can come out better. Kind of like getting nice shading from inks.

If you've tried the others, you know what you can expect from this one, I guess. The color by itself is really nice too though, but this series is not only about that, so you are right to have certain expectations!

I'm happy that I saw people sharing really nice results on social media using this ink.

I hope you'll enjoy using it! :)

I didn't pay much attention to your handwriting when I first read the review, was only looking at the ink and the glitter particles and the sheen, now that I see it, it's actually quite amazing. :)

I don't pay much attention to my handwriting, I tend to write extremely fast, small with very little pressure.

That being said, I am ordering 8 bottles of 1670 anniversary collection. This is the first time that I'll be using J.Herbin inks. Will they stay good for long enough? It'll take me quite some time to go through 8 bottles of ink considering I have a lot of other inks remaining.

My 2 bottles of Emerald of Chivor arrived today. I am thrilled with the ink - the rich green, red sheen and gold sparkles. It's beautiful.

There was a lot of hype about Bleu Ocean as well when it first came out a couple of years ago. And that's what it was, IMO -- hype. I have a sample of the reformulation, but haven't had a chance to try it yet; it *might* be better now.

OTOH, Stormy Grey is just amazing. I saw a writing example last summer at DCSS and knew I had to have a fully bottle: no pussyfooting around with samples. I'm hoping to be able to have a chance to see a writing sample of this new one to see if I like the color enough (while the sheen and the gold are pretty spectacular, the underlying ink is not one I would normally choose. Of course I said that about Rouge Hematite, too....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

At first I went mad when i saw it, but after reading your comment that calm my horses. You are right, with the use I give to the ink, it's gonna be only for playing around I think, taking notes and stuff like that are not gonna get that effect. Probably gonna get one in the future when someone travels to US and bring one for me (This thing of importing in chile dont work so well)