Sailor 1911 Black Luster Ion-Plating - Warranty

The Good Captain

I noticed the following disclaimer in the box of my Sailor 1911 Black Luster (sic) pen and would like comments, please.

fpn_1437550585__sailor_ion-plate_warrant

Are they just covering themselves, like Montblanc?

I don't think that 'standard' inks like Diamine; Pelikan 4001; Waterman; Quink and Sheaffer Skrip would do any harm whatsoever, so just wanted the opinion of you lot out there.

I can see their point but one might avoid certain inks in some pens anyway. No need to mention names!

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Frank C

• The Good Captain

• SirVival

• NinthSphere

You can see it as a cya move, but there's also someone (who's sn escapes me atm) who nib showed some issue with the plating.

edit: Here's the other thread I was referring to.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/293704-sailor-pro-gear-imperial-black-fountain-pen-issues/?hl=%2Bsailor+%2Bnib+%2Bplating

Edited by NinthSphere

You can see it as a cya move, but there's also someone (who's sn escapes me atm) who nib showed some issue with the plating.

edit: Here's the other thread I was referring to.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/293704-sailor-pro-gear-imperial-black-fountain-pen-issues/?hl=%2Bsailor+%2Bnib+%2Bplating

Thanks for this and the other link. As it happens, I like the Sailor inks that I have already and might try some of their 'permanent' ones in that pen only. Then, my backside is covered, as it were!

I'll see what the shop say in a moment but I've plenty of other pens for my other inks anyway. Regards.

The Good Captain

I really like my black luster Sailors. I also like Sailor ink, so it's not a problem. My understanding is that the coating is just one molecule or so in thickness, so could easily come off.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

Thanks all. I've decided to use Sailor inks only and as I've a few and really like the colours, then there'll be no problems! Great pen too.

The Good Captain

My Black Luster is holding up well with FC Cobalt Blue.

Seriously, when you flush the pen and send it in, how are they going to prove that you used non-Sailor ink? Would strike me as odd if they would do ink forensics on the pen 😉

My Black Luster is holding up well with FC Cobalt Blue.

Seriously, when you flush the pen and send it in, how are they going to prove that you used non-Sailor ink? Would strike me as odd if they would do ink forensics on the pen

Parker USA used to have a program in the 1990s where you could send in a Duolfold yearly for a check up. I always used Parker ink in mine, but there were stories of people getting letters back from Parker telling them that they had not been using Parker Ink.

+

Edited by Frank C

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm sure one of our chemists will be along soon to explain further, but I can imagine the variation in pH ranges for the different manufacturers of ink is the reason for the warning. That ion plating must be thin and a mismatch in the acidic or basic nature of the ink on the nib may be enough to damage that plating. They can only ensure the plating will last under the specifications of their own ink. I wouldn't want to put that to the test. Enjoy the pen (and it's good that Sailor makes a nice line of inks!).

Buzz

I'm sure one of our chemists will be along soon to explain further, but I can imagine the variation in pH ranges for the different manufacturers of ink is the reason for the warning. That ion plating must be thin and a mismatch in the acidic or basic nature of the ink on the nib may be enough to damage that plating. They can only ensure the plating will last under the specifications of their own ink. I wouldn't want to put that to the test. Enjoy the pen (and it's good that Sailor makes a nice line of inks!).

Buzz

I think that they are being over-cautious. Most any modern ink should work without any problems.

I have one of these on order.

I think that no matter what ink you use, you would want to be very careful blotting (not wiping) the nib after filling the pen.

If the coating is really that thin, the abrasion of wiping the nib could remove it.

"Bad spelling, like bad grammar, is an offense against society."

- - Good Form Letter Writing, by Arthur Wentworth Eaton, B.A. (Harvard);  © 1890

I had to return an ion plated nib because the plating came off at the tip. I swear I only used Sailor ink, but I was challenged nonetheless. I did finally get a replacement.

This was an early run; no further problems so far.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang