Show Your Twsbi Eco

spaceink

Got mine today---really like the weight and feel. Only surprises:

1. Posting works quite well---far better than on the Diamond 580---but (at least in my hand), it makes the pen feel a bit too long/back end heavy. Will probably use this unposted most of the time.

2. Can't figure out a way to fill it with a syringe, drats. Love using ink samples from Goulet in my demonstrators, but the Eco's unibody design makes it tough to get more than about half the ink from a vial.

Seems there's a Goulet video on YouTube about a slooooow method of using a syringe to saturate the feed backward (i.e., from the nib into the pen). Off to find it now....

Love my TWSBIs. :D

Edited by Paper_Queen

Why are there fourteen samples of dark plum ink on my desk? Because I still haven't found the right shade.

Is that a problem...??? : : : sigh : : :

Update: Great. Finally found one I love (Lamy Dark Lilac) but I can't get more. Ah, life in my inky world....

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• spaceink

• Jamerelbe

• TheRealScubaSteve

• amberleadavis

I have not tried to fill it with a syringe BUT I bet you can do that by pinching and pulling out the nib and feed, squirting the ink into the barrel through the hole, and replacing the nib and feed. Easy peasy.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

I have not tried to fill it with a syringe BUT I bet you can do that by pinching and pulling out the nib and feed, squirting the ink into the barrel through the hole, and replacing the nib and feed. Easy peasy.

Yep, I was planning to do that myself when attempting to get the very last bit out of sample vials.

I did exactly this with mine - works perfectly.

I was able to get a good fill from a sample vial by tilting it way over with the nib right side up but all the way to the bottom. After the initial pull, I slowly cycled the piston with the nib up to get ink out of feed and into the pen, then slowly push out air. When the ink started showing at the base of the needed/feed, the pen went back into the vial to pull up more ink. I was surprised to see that I got 90% of the sample into the pen.

post-121667-0-99736900-1437885427_thumb.jpg

Nice, love the color through the barrel. I have a dark ink in there and so the barrel looks black. Can't wait until I put a lighter blue ink in it.

Edited by spaceink

Why didn't I think of that...? :doh:

Thanks for the tip!

Why are there fourteen samples of dark plum ink on my desk? Because I still haven't found the right shade.

Is that a problem...??? : : : sigh : : :

Update: Great. Finally found one I love (Lamy Dark Lilac) but I can't get more. Ah, life in my inky world....

When you post the cap, there's an O-ring just below the piston knob that holds the cap on quite well. You'd have to work to shake it off, but then maybe I push mine on further than some others. It's comfortable to post or not to post. It's long enough, even with my larger hands to write without posting, but I always like to know where my cap is and so always post.

Really enjoying it!

fpn_1438097107__twsbi_eco.jpg

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

This last post of AAAndrew has convinced me of the EF for me! And I think that for thsi price I can buy two of them. Imagine them both one for writing the other for accents. And then interchanging the caps. That's awesome! I think a deep bright blue would go well with them! -- I thought I wouldn't buy more pens this year!

Fortunately, the nibs have a fair amount of tipping on the end so they can be modified, and they are also easily swapped out, especially the Eco. I'm looking for a vintage flex nib that will work.

Edited to add: I was thinking non-TWSBI nibs here. If you're going to buy a second TWSBI nib, like you might want a fine and a 1.1 nib, I would just get another pen. The pen is only $6 more than a replacement nib. Completely crazy. Replacements right now are for the Mini or Classic and come with the whole section and feed and you have to pull the nib out to put it into the Eco. Until they start selling just the nibs (no section) for cheaper, it just makes sense to buy a second pen if you want more than one kind of nib. That's how insanely good this deal is.

I will be getting another one after all the hype dies down and supplies are more available. This will be a perfect pen for my J. Herbin sparkle inks, and for that I want the 1.1 mm.

Edited by AAAndrew

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

-Montaigne

Fortunately, the nibs have a fair amount of tipping on the end so they can be modified, and they are also easily swapped out, especially the Eco. I'm looking for a vintage flex nib that will work.

Do you mean easily swapped out because the nib is easy to remove, or because the size of the nib is a good match to other nibs out there?

I ask because I'm wondering whether something like a Pilot Metropolitan nib could be swapped in. Haven't bought one yet, so I can't test for myself.

I'm only referencing how easy it is to remove. Just got mine so not sure what fits or not. I thought I read somewhere that a Waterman #4 nib fits. It's the same size as the TWSBI Mini.

-Montaigne

Earlier I had disagreed with the claim in a video that critiqued the hold of the cap on the pen. After a week of use, I'm changing my view to an agreement.

Writing at a desk, I don't think one would have a problem with the cap coming loose. Today, I was out and about and was using my TWSBI ECO to write in my notebook as I was walking, and lo and behold, I felt the cap slide on the flesh between my index finger and thumb. I believe I had plopped it on the end pretty firmly and so, yes, there is a chance that at certain angles your own hand could pull the cap loose. Luckily for me, it was only a slight shift and the cap did not fall on the ground.

In sum: at a desk, no problem; out and about, perhaps be a bit careful with the posting.

I would love it if the next iteration of the ECO had a snap/release mechanism or fit that would allow for more secure posting. It's a problem not unique to the ECO by any measure; I've experience the same with other pens, as well, but definitely an area for potential improvement (competitive case in point: my Lamy Safari posts much more securely).

Otherwise, the pen is near perfect out of the box and am enjoying it very much.

Edited by spaceink

I do really like the Mini's way of posting by screwing the cap onto the back of the pen. Some find it a pain. I like it. And it is secure!

-Montaigne

I do really like the Mini's way of posting by screwing the cap onto the back of the pen. Some find it a pain. I like it. And it is secure!

I used to like it - and it made the Mini my "go-to" carry pen for months, because it fit in shallower shirt pockets. Now, though, I find it a bit of a hassle - I don't always bother to post the pen any more, even though it's a touch small for comfort without... I have two Ecos on the way, looking forward to trying them out!

Yeah, am not sure if I'd want to have to screw in to post firmly. All I want is a simple push in for a good, secure fit, as with many of my other pens. If my $6 Serwex piston filler from India can do it (great value pens btw), there's no reason that TWSBI cannot achieve this.

Edited by spaceink