Pilot Custom Heritage 912 With Posting Nib

miatagrrl

I just published a review of the Pilot Custom Heritage 912 with Posting (PO) nib:

http://tina-koyama.blogspot.com/2015/07/product-review-under-rated-pilot.html

I find this fantastic nib to be seriously under-rated and under-discussed! It's the finest nib I've used that is ALSO very smooth. It's relatively easy to find Japanese nibs that are extra-fine, but finding the smooth part is another matter. This nib gets my two thumbs up on both counts. Check out the interesting curve toward the paper:

post-95699-0-04612900-1437252329_thumb.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• miatagrrl

• Macy200200

• savingbirds

• Water Ouzel

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cool, and I imagine the WA waverly would be the exact opposite (nib turned up for a wider line)?

“My two fingers on a typewriter have never connected with my brain. My hand on a pen does. A fountain pen, of course. Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane.”

Graham Greene

Wow that's some nib! I've never heard of this before, you say it writes very fine? What about compared to a Platinum Ultra Extra Fine? I'm sure it writes smoother, mine at least is very toothy but that's what happens when you're writting that small. They don't call it a needle point for nothing!

Cool, and I imagine the WA waverly would be the exact opposite (nib turned up for a wider line)?

I've got a #15 WA nib in a Custom 743, and the "mantis belly" is there to improve smoothness.

Mine writes as a pretty wet M, is very smooth, and I notice that it seems to have a larger, or at least less critical, sweet spot. It had a touch of baby bottom initially, but a few seconds work fixed that.

Mostly it seems less sensitive to pen rotation affecting smoothness.

Edited by Water Ouzel

Wow that's some nib! I've never heard of this before, you say it writes very fine? What about compared to a Platinum Ultra Extra Fine? I'm sure it writes smoother, mine at least is very toothy but that's what happens when you're writting that small. They don't call it a needle point for nothing!

I've never used a Platinum UEF; I'm guessing that the Pilot Posting nib is not quite that fine. But the Posting nib is fine enough for me -- I'm just happy that it's so smooth!

PO is certainly an under-discussed nib. Thanks for starting the discussion. Another specialty of the PO is that its flow does not increase with pressure on the nib, hence it can be used on cheap thin paper as well. I think the down curve helps to achieve this. This nib is also offered on the 742 and 743.

Best

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Another specialty of the PO is that its flow does not increase with pressure on the nib, hence it can be used on cheap thin paper as well. I think the down curve helps to achieve this. This nib is also offered on the 742 and 743.

Best

Hari

Oh yeah I didn't even think of this. Having that curve certainly would minimize line variation.

I have the exact same 912 pen with PO nib, and it writes thin and smooth, and I like the very controlled flow that it has. Very similar in line width to the platinum 0.2 extra fine preppy but smoother. By the way, I got my Pilot 912 on J subculture for a really great deal. Thanks to the OP for her previous post introducing this site to all of us!

I almost ended up buing a 912 with a PO nibs a few days ago (I had a Rakuten coupon - ended up ordering another Pilot instead). I have tiny handwriting and I'm practising Chinese characters on cheap paper (since I discard it once I'm done) and while a Platinum UEF is among the best nibs I've tried, I suspect a Pilot Po would beat it.

One probable reason why it isn't mentioned often is that it is available on a tiny number of different models - as far as I know, only on three models from the Custom range. It's a pity that the 823 isn't available with one.

(getting a 743 for a size 15 Po nib to transplant into the 823 would be a wee bit expensive...)

Слава Україні!

Slava Ukraini!

STR:11 DEX: 5 CON:5 INT:17 WIS:11 CHA:3

Wielding: BIC stick of poor judgment (-3,-5) {cursed}