Asa Pens: "galactic" - A Review

alexhondsmerk

Thanks, have this issue with a few pens, starting up after 2 days of not writing with them.

Japanese pens or Montblanc, Pelikan, Aurora, Delta, Omas, no problem.

Others, including Stipula, have this issue.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• alexhondsmerk

• mehandiratta

• Feanaaro

• blackcat99

Usually if you dip the nib in water they will write again... it's just ink evaporating in the channels, adding a little water to get the flow started takes care of that.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

The breather hole in a fountain pen cap has the function to rapidly equalize the pressure when you uncap the pen. Otherwise, you can create a vacuum that can suck the ink from the pen into the cap. The hole has to be located just below the inner cap of the pen that functions as an ‘air seal’ to prevent the nib from easily drying out.

Pens with simple feeds with limited ink buffering capacity like the ebonite feed used in this Indian eyedropper benefit more from having a breather hole than pens with modern heavily finned feeds that can better handle pressure differences.

Since this is a transparent pen you can observe in the pictures the breather hole is correctly positioned just below the ‘air seal’ and above the threads in the cap.

My Galactic will be shipped Wednesday from India with German M nib "upgrade." Good, good, good.

Edited by Forsooth

The breather hole in a fountain pen cap has the function to rapidly equalize the pressure when you uncap the pen. Otherwise, you can create a vacuum that can suck the ink from the pen into the cap. The hole has to be located just below the inner cap of the pen that functions as an air seal to prevent the nib from easily drying out.

Pens with simple feeds with limited ink buffering capacity like the ebonite feed used in this Indian eyedropper benefit more from having a breather hole than pens with modern heavily finned feeds that can better handle pressure differences.

Since this is a transparent pen you can observe in the pictures the breather hole is correctly positioned just below the air seal and above the threads in the cap.

So true and correct... Thank you

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

Just purchased one of the these pens - this is a thing of beauty ! How long did it take to arrive in the UK ?

Just purchased one of the these pens - this is a thing of beauty ! How long did it take to arrive in the UK ?

Ordered on the 6th, dispatched on the 10th, arrived on the 18th!

Thank you - just had notification mine will be shipped on the 30th :)

• 2 weeks later...
An update for my new ASA Galactic that I ordered after reading the review.

I ordered the pen on July 20 and received word from Mr. Subramantam that it shipped on July 23. I received it today (Aug. 03), so 11 days from India to eastern US is impressive, I would say.

I asked for the German #6 nib upgrade in Medium. I also asked Mr. Subramantam for an extra feed and offered to pay for it, but he said there would be no charge.

What was in the package?

- the big Galactic in great shape (no cosmetic issues whatsoever) with the correct nib

- a functional black pen bag with a tie top

- a plastic eyedropper filling device (didn't expect)

- the original (standard) gold-colored steel nib which is a Fine, I believe (didn't expect)

- a .5 mm mechnical pencil pkg. including 10 leads (didn't expect)

- 2 extra feeds (only asked for one)

- all of these items were separated and secured by individual packaging within bubble-wrap

- not to mention that shipping itself was included in the purchase price

Writing experience with my first eyedropper:

I washed the pen's components with soap and warm water since most experience folks say it is a good idea. After drying, I applied a bit of silicone grease to the section threads. I put Noodler's Navajo Turquoise in the barrel and followed hari317's advice (here) on screwing the section and barrel back together.

My Galactic wrote ultra-smoothly immediately, with an endless wet line! I could not out-write or out-scribble the ink flow of this pen. No scratchiness. Reverse writing provides a nice fine line, which might be useful in tight situations. So, "excellent" on the most important thing!

In addition, the largeness of the pen is very comfortable for me to hold. There is no "step" on the barrel to irritate the thumb fold (or whatever you call that place), which is a feature I like.

In conclusion, great service, great product, great experience. I will definitely be ordering again from ASAPens.

Edited by Forsooth

I ordered mine and has been dispatched, hopefully it will get to Australia this week !

Based on all the reviews so far, I can not wait to get my hands on my new and first Asa pen. Will let you all know how it writes.

An update for my new ASA Galactic that I ordered after reading the review.
I ordered the pen on July 20 and received word from Mr. Subramantam that it shipped on July 23. I received it today (Aug. 03), so 11 days from India to eastern US is impressive, I would say.
I asked for the German #6 nib upgrade in Medium. I also asked Mr. Subramantam for an extra feed and offered to pay for it, but he said there would be no charge.
What was in the package?
- the big Galactic in great shape (no cosmetic issues whatsoever) with the correct nib
- a functional black pen bag with a tie top
- a plastic eyedropper filling device (didn't expect)
- the original (standard) gold-colored steel nib which is a Fine, I believe (didn't expect)
- a .5 mm mechnical pencil pkg. including 10 leads (didn't expect)
- 2 extra feeds (only asked for one)
- all of these items were separated and secured by individual packaging within bubble-wrap
- not to mention that shipping itself was included in the purchase price
Writing experience with my first eyedropper:
I washed the pen's components with soap and warm water since most experience folks say it is a good idea. After drying, I applied a bit of silicone grease to the section threads. I put Noodler's Navajo Turquoise in the barrel and followed hari317's advice (here) on screwing the section and barrel back together.
My Galactic wrote ultra-smoothly immediately, with an endless wet line! I could not out-write or out-scribble the ink flow of this pen. No scratchiness. Reverse writing provides a nice fine line, which might be useful in tight situations. So, "excellent" on the most important thing!
In addition, the largeness of the pen is very comfortable for me to hold. There is no "step" on the barrel to irritate the thumb fold (or whatever you call that place), which is a feature I like.
In conclusion, great service, great product, great experience. I will definitely be ordering again from ASAPens.

Sounds like you got the whole package! Glad you're enjoying the pen!

• 1 month later...

I kinda like the minimalism of this. I reckon with the right ink colour, this would look pretty darn cool.

Thanks for the review, I am tempted now!

(And hello from Nottingham!)

Evy

Glittery inks like J. Herbin 1670 anniversary or Diamine shimmering inks would look great in this pen.

Just one problem, I don't like that engraving.

Do they (or does anyone) make a similar pen, with the same transparent/frosted look, in a slightly more "regular" size?

• 4 months later...

Hi Alex, thanks for the review. I have quite a few Indian eyedroppers Gamas, Asas , Guiders etc. very handsome pens that write well (after a little ‘fettling’). However, all of them have suffered from the dreaded ‘eyedropper ink burp’, which can be minimised if I keep my pens over 3/4 full. Unfortunately, this issue stops them from being ‘go to’ pens. I see Mr S is now incorporating a breather hole in the cap, and hopefully this might help with the issue. I plan to order this with an extra fine Jowo nib…..have you had any issues with flooding at all?

I might be old, but at least I got to see all the best Bands.

Hi Alex, thanks for the review. I have quite a few Indian eyedroppers Gamas, Asas , Guiders etc. very handsome pens that write well (after a little ‘fettling’). However, all of them have suffered from the dreaded ‘eyedropper ink burp’, which can be minimised if I keep my pens over 3/4 full. Unfortunately, this issue stops them from being ‘go to’ pens. I see Mr S is now incorporating a breather hole in the cap, and hopefully this might help with the issue. I plan to order this with an extra fine Jowo nib…..have you had any issues with flooding at all?

As much as I know...breather hole has nothing to do with ink burp while writing...

its purpose is to negate the vacuum created inside the cap when uncapping the pen...

vaibhav mehandiratta

As much as I know...breather hole has nothing to do with ink burp while writing...

its purpose is to negate the vacuum created inside the cap when uncapping the pen...

नमस्ते Vaibhav ji, and thank you for your very quick response…I’m on a quest to stop ink burp and as you can guess I'm willing grasp at any straw!

I might be old, but at least I got to see all the best Bands.

नमस्ते Vaibhav ji, and thank you for your very quick response…I’m on a quest to stop ink burp and as you can guess I'm willing grasp at any straw!

Well as far as I know ink burping is caused at the end of the fill... because of the increase in air inside the barrel... now this thing can be taken care off by three things ..

1.Heavy finned nibs... pens from Dr. Sreekumar and also Kim pens have amazing feeds which are heavily finned and can take care of increased ink flow....

2. Secondly how well the nib and feed is fitted inside the section should be real tight fit if it is friction fit...

3. Threads should be primed well... if you are using the screw in nib unit then threads of the same should be primed well with silicone grease along with threads on the section and barrel...

these things have assured me burp free problems...

also i want to point out one more thing... less ink capacity eye droppers have less problems than pens with more ink capacity...

vaibhav mehandiratta