Mob Mentality

Hi everybody, I recently bought a Sheaffer's Lifetime 1250 Cartridge Pen. After looking through the Sheaffer converters I already had I found that the slim sheaffer converter that fits the targa fits perfectly in the pen. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the slim converter in the 1250 lifetime. All the other converters I have don't fit at all. Thanks in advance.

Davide

"Our chief want is someone who will inspire us to be what we know we could be."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mitto

• Mob Mentality

• demonagerie

• 3rdlakerobert

Top Posters In This Topic

I have one of these. As I recall the modern piston converter doesn't fit, but the old squeeze converter (full size) does. The Targa slim converter is basically the same as the old squeeze, just slimmer, so there's no reason why it wouldn't work fine.

I have one of these. As I recall the modern piston converter doesn't fit, but the old squeeze converter (full size) does. The Targa slim converter is basically the same as the old squeeze, just slimmer, so there's no reason why it wouldn't work fine.

Do you mean the size of the nipple on both the slim targa and the standard size targa (and on all other cartridge / converter pens) is the same? So the slim converter would fit the standard size pens but not the otherway round?

Khan M. Ilyas

Do you mean the size of the nipple on both the slim targa and the standard size targa (and on all other cartridge / converter pens) is the same? So the slim converter would fit the standard size pens but not the otherway round?

Yep, exactly. I just stuck a slim converter on a standard sized Targa to double check, fits fine.

Yep, exactly. I just stuck a slim converter on a standard sized Targa to double check, fits fine.

That is fine. I , too , would check and come back to you.

Khan M. Ilyas

Thanks for your replies. I have the old full size sheaffer squeeze converter but it doesn't seem to fit. What I mean is that is doesn't go all the when down the barrel. Could it be I'm being to gentle and need to apply more pressure? When you put in the old squeeze converter is it easy to screw the barrel on? For my pen it's harder than I think it should be to screw the barrel in with the converter.

Edited by Mob Mentality

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks for your replies. I have the old full size sheaffer squeeze converter but it doesn't seem to fit. What I mean is that is doesn't go all the when down the barrel. Could it be I'm being to gentle and need to apply more pressure? When you put in the old squeeze converter is it easy to screw the barrel on? For my pen it's harder than I think it should be to screw the barrel in with the converter.

No. Don't put extra pressure. The full size squeeze converter wouldn't fit because yours is a cartrige only pen. The resistance point in the barrel is meant to press the cartridge in place when the barrel is threaded into the section.Look for a button filler. That would perfectly fit though.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

The full size is a tight fit. It can get stuck in the barrel which is annoying. Mine doesn't need extreme pressure though. I'd say if the slim is a better fit stick with the slim.

No. Don't put extra pressure. The full size squeeze converter wouldn't fit because yours is a cartrige only pen. The resistance point in the barrel is meant to press the cartridge in place when the barrel is threaded into the section.Look for a button filler. That would perfectly fit though.

I know that the button filler fits. But it's very hard to find and the one I did find cost more than the pen at $77. I think I'll continue using the silm converter and not the fullsize. The silm fits great and slides down the barrel with no effort.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

I know that the button filler fits. But it's very hard to find and the one I did find cost more than the pen at $77. I think I'll continue using the silm converter and not the fullsize. The silm fits great and slides down the barrel with no effort.

There is another solution to your problem. Read this thread :

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/288378-what-sheaffer-imperial-is-this/

Khan M. Ilyas

There is another solution to your problem. Read this thread :

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/288378-what-sheaffer-imperial-is-this/

Thanks. My pen however doesn't have a spring in the barrel. It is like the one described in this post from your link though mine is from 1963. I have the original box and paper work too:

I have a Sheaffer Lifetime Pen from 1965, part of a pen/pencil set given to me for high school graduation. It looks exactly like your pen except it has a shiny silver colored metal cap and the gold band is not as wide. The modern converter will not fit because the barrel tapers down too much. It does not have a "mechanism" in the barrel, but a geometry at the back end. If you drop a new cartridge in the barrel and screw the section down on the barrel, the cartridge is pierced and seated automatically onto the nipple. It was made to simplify inserting a new cartridge.

Remove the cartridge, drop it in the barrel, screw the section back in place. Remove the barrel the cartridge will be seated properly on to the section. It does not leave any room for any converter I have, however Sheaffer may have made one back in the day the does fit. I don't know.

I have a 1997 Sheaffer Prelude that can use the modern converter. It does not seat the cartridge like my vintage Sheaffer does.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

I thought a picture of the pen might be helpful.

http://i1377.photobucket.com/albums/ah48/Davide_Borrelli/Sheaffers%20_01_zpshwg3xr45.jpghttp://i1377.photobucket.com/albums/ah48/Davide_Borrelli/Sheaffers%20_nib_zps7ubeswkp.jpeg

Edited by Mob Mentality

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Here we go:

A squeeze converter cut to size :

I saw your post in the link about. How difficult is it to cut it to size? Is it worth the trouble if the slim converter fits and works well?

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

I saw your post in the link about. How difficult is it to cut it to size? Is it worth the trouble if the slim converter fits and works well?

It depends. If you have the expertise and are willing to take the pain then it isnt difficult. I now have acquired the button converter too.

Khan M. Ilyas

I don't think I have the tools required for the job. For now I think I'll stick to the slim converter until I can find a button converter that doesn't cost more than the Fountain pen and pencil set pictured above.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

I don't think I have the tools required for the job. For now I think I'll stick to the slim converter until I can find a button converter that doesn't cost more than the Fountain pen and pencil set pictured above.

Ok. Enjoy your pen. You have a very nice lifetime cartridge only pen set. I had a button converter from long ago that I had forgotton. But now I got one more for free from a an antiq shop from where i bought more than 35 pens at a time. Here you read :

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/293007-antique-store-finds/

Khan M. Ilyas

mitto incredible deal! I recently got a good deal in an antique shop too but not nearly as good as the deal you got. I found an Osmiroid 75 piston filling fountain pen from 1966 in like new condition with 6 gold plated osmiroid nibs including a a flexible fine and numerous italic nibs in various sizes. Total cost was $23. On ebay 1 nib is $19.99. I always keep my eyes open for pens.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

mitto incredible deal! I recently got a good deal in an antique shop too but not nearly as good as the deal you got. I found an Osmiroid 75 piston filling fountain pen from 1966 in like new condition with 6 gold plated osmiroid nibs including a a flexible fine and numerous italic nibs in various sizes. Total cost was $23. On ebay 1 nib is $19.99. I always keep my eyes open for pens.

Congrates on the excellent deal. Well, I too have been keeping my eyes open for the last thirtyfive or so years.

Best.

Khan M. Ilyas

mitto Thanks for everything. Very helpful.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson