Writing desks

@xem@n

I use my drawing/parallel edge board as a writing desk. It works excellently.

http://www.dragonseptarts.com/images/favicon.gif Dragonsept Arts and Publishing - Free and open culture

My Public Key: F1BC60E6

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind." — Rudyard Kipling

"In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act." — George Orwell

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jbb

• AndreaDuni

• Paddler

• cercamons

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd kind of like to have a Davenport desk. Small and compact and extremely convenient and useful. I found some plans online for the modern antique desk, and stored them appropriately so that I might refer to them when I can afford one.

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

I have a desk.....somewhere..........under a bunch of junk-n-clutter. :roflmho:

I'd kind of like to have a Davenport desk. Small and compact and extremely convenient and useful. I found some plans online for the modern antique desk, and stored them appropriately so that I might refer to them when I can afford one.

Good idea. I bookmarked this once for future reference, but still have not had the time of money to build one of them. Your davenport desk is a stellar design - really neat looking and seemingly very functional.

- R

Edited by RandyE

• 3 weeks later...

I have an old Victorian writing bureau which once belonged to a school master at Haileybury College. My wife inherited it from her grandfather.

Atop the bureau sits a glass-fronted display cabinet. The leaf of the bureau folds down to reveal the writing surface, and it has a leather lining, and is angled at around 25-30 degrees.

I recently purchased an old (Victorian) writing desk as used in schools here in England.

It is nothing special..it's not an antique or anything, but its sturdy, has character and has a nice feel about it. It has a fold down, angled writing surface (about 25-30 degrees) with a drawer beneath and a couple of small drawers inside.

What place do you all use for your writing? Do you have a special table or desk which inspires your creativity and enhances your enjoyment of your pens?

There's the Magic White Desk in my living room that gets the morning sun. It's kind of scruffy, and I was thinking of getting rid of it, but there's just something... magic about it that helps me to write, especially when my fountain pens are involved.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Has anybody here tried or owns one of those neat antique writing slopes? I rather like the idea of a sloping surface but I'm wondering if they're really wide enough to promote comfortable writing.

They sell here on eBay for generally around £30 in the UK depending on state of repair and I'm quite tempted. Typically all they need is a new felt on the slope and usually the inkpots have gone missing.

MD

Has anybody here tried or owns one of those neat antique writing slopes? I rather like the idea of a sloping surface but I'm wondering if they're really wide enough to promote comfortable writing.

They sell here on eBay for generally around £30 in the UK depending on state of repair and I'm quite tempted. Typically all they need is a new felt on the slope and usually the inkpots have gone missing.

MD

I've written on my parents' antique writing slope a couple of times and while they can be somewhat cumbersome to place in one's lap, they are very functional to write on when a desk is not available. Currently, I am looking for the perfect writing desk...easier said than done though.

"Instant gratification takes too long."-Carrie Fisher

What place do you all use for your writing? Do you have a special table or desk which inspires your creativity and enhances your enjoyment of your pens?

Right now I'm using an old, rather small library-style table. It's solid oak but not of particularly high quality, it sorta wobbles and such. Still I rather like it. As soon as I make my own writing table it's firewood.

I do wood working and have a nice complete wood shop. I've been exploring what goes into a nice writing desk and have found several plans that look good. Having said that, I'd like to throw this open to the masses and ask: What features, size, materials, ?? would you find needed in your absolutely perfect writing desk.

Cheers,

Bill J

I have a cozy nook in my master bedroom next to a window that looks onto the street. The desk itself was custom made to fit into this small corner...a little over 2 feet deep and 3 feet wide..oak. One drawer crammed with pens and writing stuff. It gets pretty cluttered but is a very secure spot for me. I neglected this inspirational corner for years until I rediscovered my fountain pen fancying...this past year. Having natural light on my writing surface during the day is a great comfort.

The wood stain was starting to get a tad dry. I know for you purists out there..will cringe. But, I found a waterbased varathane product at the hardware store than allowed a satin finish, quick drying, not smelly, and I didn't have to drag the desk down the stairs and outside to apply the double coat.

Wanda

Check out this new flickr page for pen wraps

W He

Writing Desk?

I usually use my knee. Thats' why I like using the large hardback Moleskines. The balance very well, and spread open flat so it's easy to write on both sides of the paper.

Maybe I'll grow up and have a big-girl desk someday. :o)

<span style='font-family: Georgia'><span style='font-size: 14px;'><strong class='bbc'> Stephanie "Biffybeans" Smith</strong></span><p><a href='http://www.biffybeans.com/' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Blog: Spiritual Evolution of the Bean</a><p><a href='http://www.etsy.com/shop/biffybeans?ref=si_shop' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Purchase Stephanie "Biffybeans" Smith's Original Art on Etsy</a>

Not a writing desk in the purest sense of things, but this is where I do a lot of my writing. It's where I do all sorts of things, actually. Writing, studying, making things, sewing, etc. Nice and sturdy, I think about 8 people could stand on it before it started to complain. Best part was that it was free from a friend who paid all of $2 for it at a university surplus sale.

post-10285-1211338719_thumb.jpg

I've been experimenting with the idea of a stand-up desk for the last couple of weeks. Right now, I'm using a large rigid box on top of a folding table, and it's about 1" too tall, but other than that, I'm really liking it.

I do woodworking, so I've been doodling plans for a permanent replacement that I'll build this summer. Basic flat top, 30"x18", room enough for a laptop and notepad when needed, or a book and paper to spread out a little. A couple of shelves for books, printer, the laptop when I don't want it, plus room for baskets of ink bottles, etc.

Best thing is, it looks out over our backyard and to the woods beyond.

"We must remember that 'good' and 'evil' are terms so wide as to take in the whole scheme of creation" -- Bram Stoker

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

My father is in the process of building a standing writing desk, as he has restless leg syndrome and has found that standing works well for him. I believe he found some commercially-available plans somewhere that are based on the desk that Churchill used (I think, don't quote me on that). I'd be very interested to see what you design/build.

I do all of my computer work at a desk, so I actually prefer to do my handwriting while sitting in the living room. I am currently using a acrylic lap desk that offers a decent amount of notebook-supporting real estate. I would eventually like to upgrade to a wooden lap desk, similar to this one.

Cheers,

A.J.

In an infinite universe, everything must exist.

What is a standing desk? Something like a lecturn?

At it's simplest, yes. It can be a simple podium with a slanted writing surface (or flat), all the way up to a full size desk on extra long legs. My ideas are at the more basic end of the spectrum, which will meet my needs and fit in the space and budget I have available.

A Google search on "stand up desks" will bring up quite a bit of info and some beautiful custom made examples that are available.

"We must remember that 'good' and 'evil' are terms so wide as to take in the whole scheme of creation" -- Bram Stoker

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

MD

I do all of my writing at my kitchen table (not terribly comfortably or terribly well) so when I saw

a writing slope at the antique mall today I didn't hesitate to pick it up. (not a lap desk but more

like a table top lecturn; but it will fit on the arms of my chair if I choose to use it that way)

Rather, I had my son do so ... and then carry it around for me.

It's about 11.5" wide X 20.5" long with the slope going from about 6.5" high in the back to 2" in the front.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v477/ConLaz/writingslope.jpg

Not a bad price for solid oak and heavy.

Edit to add: $38.00 US

Edited by Con

Current daily users: Pilot VP with Diamine Teal, Waterman Phileas M Cursive Italic with Arabian Rose, and a black Reform M CI with Copper Burst