Looking To Upgrade From Pilot Prera - Need Help/recs

zombiecupcakes

This is my first post and I already read the awesome FAQ looking for answers, but haven't seen much in the way of what I was wanting to know.

Small background on me. I'm a writer and I write at least 2-3 pages a day, front and back, in a Miquel Rius notebook with my Pilot Prera in a M nib. I've found a happy spot with the pen, I love the size and feel but I want something a little flashier that might last longer.

I have recently tried other a number of other pens, mostly Jinhao, but also a Nemosine Singularity, which wrote very wet and caused a bit of bleedthrough on my notebook. I'm looking for a pen that will write relatively dry, possibly in a Western Fine nib.

Current front runners are the TWSBI Eco in F (Giving it a second chance, hated my Mini to the point of returning it) and the
Pelikan M200 (Demonstrator).

Open to any other suggestions, preferably small and chunky pens for someone with small hands that will write similar to a Pilot Prera in M that is a bit more forgiving with paper. MiquelRius is pretty great for FP, but the real swanky paper is a bit out of my price range, especially since I write so much.

Thanks!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zombiecupcakes

• Sergio 46

• Buzz_130

• FountainPages

Maybe a Platinum Balance/Cool (steel nib) or PTL-5000A (14k gold). They're a bit longer than the Prera, but about the same diameter and still lightweight. The latter can be found for about the same as list for a Prera, too, and its nib is nicely soft/springy.

Or, a bit further upscale, a Platinum 3776 Century, light, gold nib, nice writing feel.

I've got one or more of all of the above, and any pens I've got so far that are noticeably nicer to use tend to cost a bit more.

I prefer smaller but chunky pens myself and used to use the Prera as my main writer for long time. I'd suggest having a look at the Platinum Century too, either with the M or SF nib. I'm using the SF and it works relatively well on most, including poor quality copy papers.

http://goodwriterspens.com/2015/07/10/platinum-3776-century/

However, Pelikans, from what I hear, are also terrific writers.

Edited by birchtine

I only have one true "out of the box" recommendation that I give. The Pilot Custom Heritage 91. I have owned several Platinums, Sailors and Pilots. The Custom Heritage 91 was hands down the best writing pen from the box to the paper. It still writes like a charm. I am putting it up against a recently acquired Pelikan M205 and will have more to say on that later once more research is done, but early comparisons but the Pilot slightly ahead of the Pelikan except in ease of filling, and I am debating on looks as I really dig the demonstrator look on the M205. But really if you must own only one pen and its under 150 USD than I would have to recommend the CH 91, I have a Falcon with a SM nib, I like it, but it does nothing special. I have a Sailor Sapporo Slim 14K Gold nib, its scratchy out of the box and hard starts all the time. I am going to have to get it fixed, and that's coming from someone who tunes and repairs vintage pens, I can't get the nib and feed on it to work properly. The Sailor Regulus is an excuse of a pen marketed to a specific crowd that desires a more industrial look, it too is scratchy and overly heavy and does nothing special. Platinum 3776, owned it, was underwhelmed at it's price and performance and how LIGHT it was, sold it. Pilot Vanishing Point, own it only for it's ease of note taking use, it's relatively useless for anything over a full page of notes, it is a hand cramper. The Pilot Metropolitan is an awesome pen, couldn't recommend it more. In fact, get a couple Metros, send them to Arts Nibs to be ground to your specifications and you would be in a great place there as well.

But it's all relative since what I like and what you like could be two completely different things.

Maybe a Platinum Balance/Cool (steel nib) or PTL-5000A (14k gold). They're a bit longer than the Prera, but about the same diameter and still lightweight. The latter can be found for about the same as list for a Prera, too, and its nib is nicely soft/springy.

Or, a bit further upscale, a Platinum 3776 Century, light, gold nib, nice writing feel.

I've got one or more of all of the above, and any pens I've got so far that are noticeably nicer to use tend to cost a bit more.

I prefer smaller but chunky pens myself and used to use the Prera as my main writer for long time. I'd suggest having a look at the Platinum Century too, either with the M or SF nib. I'm using the SF and it works relatively well on most, including poor quality copy papers.

I only have one true "out of the box" recommendation that I give. The Pilot Custom Heritage 91. I have owned several Platinums, Sailors and Pilots. The Custom Heritage 91 was hands down the best writing pen from the box to the paper. It still writes like a charm. I am putting it up against a recently acquired Pelikan M205 and will have more to say on that later once more research is done, but early comparisons but the Pilot slightly ahead of the Pelikan except in ease of filling, and I am debating on looks as I really dig the demonstrator look on the M205. But really if you must own only one pen and its under 150 USD than I would have to recommend the CH 91, I have a Falcon with a SM nib, I like it, but it does nothing special. I have a Sailor Sapporo Slim 14K Gold nib, its scratchy out of the box and hard starts all the time. I am going to have to get it fixed, and that's coming from someone who tunes and repairs vintage pens, I can't get the nib and feed on it to work properly. The Sailor Regulus is an excuse of a pen marketed to a specific crowd that desires a more industrial look, it too is scratchy and overly heavy and does nothing special. Platinum 3776, owned it, was underwhelmed at it's price and performance and how LIGHT it was, sold it. Pilot Vanishing Point, own it only for it's ease of note taking use, it's relatively useless for anything over a full page of notes, it is a hand cramper. The Pilot Metropolitan is an awesome pen, couldn't recommend it more. In fact, get a couple Metros, send them to Arts Nibs to be ground to your specifications and you would be in a great place there as well.

But it's all relative since what I like and what you like could be two completely different things.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll do my research on the Platinum 3776 and the Pilot CH 91. :D

@AZBennet I'd also like to know how you feel about the M205 whenever you're done with your research. I must admit half of the appeal of the TWSBI Eco and M200 is that they're piston filled.

The M200 / 205 is hard to beat as a daily writer. I have a 205 in black with 3 nibs. The M isn't paticularly exciting to write with but it does write effortlessly. The pen feels a bit small and light in my hands and so it doesn't see as much action as it should. I suppose if I wrote for a living I would want something like the Pelikan - it is dependable but not distacting, cleans up easily for when you want to change ink colous and has a range of nibs that are extremely easy to change. The pen is merely the vehicle and shouldn't detract from the thoughts-to-paper process...

The m200 is a lovely pen, but if you buy wisely (look around, there are some really good deals available) you can get a Platinum 3776 for not much more money, and with a gold nib. (If you want an italic, though, some of the m200s like the Cognac do come with italic nibs. And 3776 is a converter pen, not a piston filler.) Nice pens, with a satisfying weight, beautiful finish, and just the right girth - my hands are quite small too.

For a completely different feel, take a look at the Edison Nouveau Premiere available from Goulet pens. A tad longer than the 3776 but equally slim, available in some wonderfully chatoyant and colourful acrylics (including special editions each season).

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

I would also look into the Franklin-Christoph family of pens.

They use the same German JoWo # 6 & #5 nib-sets as the Edisons. You may also purchase nibs that have been modified by a renowned nib-tech, Mr Masuyama.

Ordering direct from F-C is less expensive than ordering direct form Edison.

However Anderson Pens (no affiliation) has certain F-C models that are at a competitive price to Edison's production models when ordered through Goulet's (again, no affiliation).

I use an Edison Pearl & an F-C Iterum, both with their standard stainless steel nibs & with the 18K options.

Excellent writers.

Edited by tinta

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

+1 for Sailor Pro Gear Slim II.

My medium nib writes beautifully (no tuning required). Similar to a western fine. I sent a broad nib back as it was awful - draggy & skippy.

Very similar feel to the Prera, in size and weight- just slightly bigger. Much smoother writer and better on cheaper paper. It just feels better quality and more substantial than my Prera, which it should for the cost difference! The screw cap is much more secure than the Prera cap, which tends to wobble a bit.

Both have a relatively small ink capacity though.

I'm a 'small, light' pen person. I also have a 3776. It has a fab (very big) nib, but has a significantly fatter section, that makes my hand cramp up with prolonged writing.

I think I prefer the feel of the Sailor and Platinum to my Pelikan M400, which feels more solid and ungiving. The M400 is beautiful though (White/tortoiseshell).

I only have one of each pen, so can only compare tiny samples! Enjoy your purchase.

Pelikan M200...beautiful writers no matter what nib you chose.

Franklin Christoph Model 20/Marietta...beautiful, smooth nibs no matter what size.

Both great pens for long writing sessions/average to small hands.

My M200 came with a so-far incurable case of baby bottom. Its a very nicely proportioned pen (posted) let down by the poor M nib. Having done a successful architect regrind on a Jin159, I'll be trying it on the Pelikan. In EF it should be a good writer.

The Japanese pens are in another class though and all 3 makers offer fantastic nibs.

A lifelong FP user...

I want to thank everyone for your responses, you've been so helpful. I'm probably going to start figuring out which I want between the M200 and M205... also just found out that the pen that I wanted (M205 Demonstrator w/ the silver accents) was a limited run.

I'm probably going for a fine since it's pretty safe. Eep! I'm so excited. Oh! Also, knowing me this won't be my only pen so I'll probably end up picking up a Sailor at one point (the little anchor is so cute, I know that's not a reason to buy a pen, but it doesn't hurt).

If you take care of the Prera it will outlast you :)

I have it, and found it very dry, but i like using the pen.

Similar in size would be the Pelikan M200. A great pen with a bigger ink capacity.

I quite like smaller lighter chunkier pens myself.

One option might be a Lamy 2000. It is heavier, but perfectly balanced, and it will outlast your grandkids :)

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

Try an Esterbrook. Or a Sheaffer NOS 440 Touchdown. For 50USD I doubt you can find better. After buying an Esterbrook J, there is no reason to pay big dollars for a Pelikan 200...and I love Pelikans.

Edited by FountainPages

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.

Mark Twain

I love my Preras, too. I got one in soft blue (fine nib) and ivory (medium nib). Both are solid colors.

The Pelikan M2xx and the M4xx is almost the same size. By the M2xx I got one with an ef nib and one with a fine nib. My fine nib is a little bit wider than the Pilot Prera medium nib and the ef nib of Pelikan is a little bit wider than the fine nib of Pilot. The grip sections are different and the pen writes also different. I use the Prera and the Pelikan both for writing notes in lectures, at work and in my notebooks at home. I could never decide which pen is more comfortable.
I think the Prera looks a little "sleeker" than the Pelikan. The Pelikan is more classy.

Another pen I really like is the Edison Pearlette. Also same size but not so chunky. I took some pictures on instagram for comparison. I haven't used any filters, just some bad pictures. The Pearlette is much more beautiful in real life. (And yes, that is a screenshot of Instagram.)

post-124096-0-38063400-1437653630_thumb.png

+1