Nakaya Urushi Deterioration / Bubbling On Pen Section ?

NathanG

Hi everyone !

I'm quite new to the world of Nakaya as I only got mine a few weeks ago, as a present for my 20th birthday. I got it in Green Urushi (Midori) in the Long Cigar model with a F nib.

The thing is, I'm quite alarmed as of today, when, upon closer inspection, I noticed some slight bubbling on the urushi of the section, where one holds the pen while writing.

It has spread around the section, and, though not noticeable when writing, it is definitely visible upon close inspection (Without a loupe that is.)

I'm worried that, as I have very sweaty palms, the fact that I'm not cleaning the section after using the pen, the residual sweat might affect the pen whilst sitting tightly in its kimono. (The heat might be causing it ?...)

Have you guys ever witnessed such developpments to your Nakayas ? If so have you discovered a way to stop this from happening ?

As a disclaimer, I'm carrying my pen in its kimono with me on a daily basis and have not dipped it in any liquid other than ink.

Thank you guys for your help, I'm really worried é..è !!!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fountainpagan

• MartinPauli

• hooper

• Globalnomad

Did you buy the pen new?

I have come across this phenomenon on a used Nakaya once before, and my guess was that someone used too much heat trying to either remove the feed or to reset the nib...

:-{

Thanks a lot for the welcome ^^'

And to answer your question Pendel, I had that pen custom made through Mora Stylos in Paris, and waited since March of this year to get it.

As for the pictures I tried to capture it as best as I could, those really are tiny bubbles, but I can swear they weren't there when I received the pen.

post-103022-0-12340600-1436894995.jpg

post-103022-0-26716700-1436895009.jpg

post-103022-0-92815700-1436895023.jpg

Contact Nakaya about the issue through the vendor you purchased from. If the vendor is of no help, contact Nakaya directly about the matter.

Ink, a drug.

― Vladimir Nabokov, Bend Sinister

Instagram:
a.transient.life

Thank you for the replies ! I'll be contacting very soon the retailer and Nakaya.

Does any one of you know what may be the cause of such developments ? I'm still in the dark :/

Is it due to an inconsistent application of the layers of urushi that left some space for air to lodge itself ? A problem in the quality of the lacquer...?

Edited by NathanG

Hi, Nathan.

I have not seen that on an urushi pen, but it reminds me of bubbles I have seen in the varnish on a couple of my musical instruments, a violin and a guitar. On the violin, the reaction occurred on the body, right where the palm of my (sweaty) left hand contacts it when playing up high. On the guitar, the bubbling is on the back, where the instrument leans against my body. With the fiddle, I recall being told the reaction was to something in my sweat.

This may or may not have anything to do with what's occurring with your Nakaya of course. FWIW, I have not had this sort of reaction with any of my Nakayas.

Do let us know what you learn.

David

Urushi, when properly cured, should not react to sweat. Traditional housewares were urushi over wood and took a beating through many years of use. I guess something went wrong in the workshop where your pen was lacquered. I think that the suggestion to return the pen to Nakaya is a good one, even if you may have to wait for the pen again...

:-{

Exactly as Pendel said, once urushi hardens, it is entirely resistent to way hotter, more viscous things than sweat. Bear in mind Japanese soup bowls are coated with urushi.

Off the top of my head, bubbles might result from a piece of wood not being properly cured before the lacquer coating. Not sure why ebonite would pop bubbles.

I have not seen that on a Nakaya pen but I have bubbles on my Nakaya pen pillow. According to Nakaya the bubbles are normal for the pen pillow but I don't think the pens should be this way.

Neither should the pen pilows. If Urushi lacquer is done correctly, respecting all the steps needed, no such clogging should appear, in pens, or pillow pens. And if so, for the latter, why is it normal since they are lacquered, as the pens? Does this means that all the steps of the urushi lacquering process are not respected, applied in what the pen pillows are concerned?

Edited by fountainpagan

WomenWagePeace

SUPORTER OF http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/100x75q90/631/uh2SgO.jpg

My avatar is a painting by the imense surrealist painter Remedios Varo

According to Nakaya bubbles are normal on the pen pillows. They told me "I hope you will accept it"...I don't use one of them because the bubbles are rough and im worried they will scratch my pens. I have two pillows and one desk pen stand from Nakaya and the workmanship is a lot sloppier than Nakaya's pens which are already a bit sloppy, or perhaps "handmade" would be a better term.

bubbles huh actually one can consider them "normal" at least thats what I think if you think about air trapped in the process of making the urushi and coating with urushi (after all its viscous stuff) just like how air can sometimes be trapped when using varnish I think thats what happened air was trapped during the coating process forming the bubbles then the lacquer got hard by curing so its trapped there forever...

Edited by Algester

I have a 70 year old Japanese urushi pen. After all these years, its finish is still perfect - smooth, hard, scratch-free. I carry it clipped to my T shirt; it does not need to be babied. IMO, like many things, new is not always better. I did own a new Nakaya and returned it due to finish defects. I suggest you do the same. Maybe Danitrio?

Bob

Pelikan 100; Parker Duofold; Sheaffer Balance; Eversharp Skyline; Aurora 88 Piston; Aurora 88 hooded; Kaweco Sport; Sailor Pro Gear

Eca de Queroiz: "Politicians and diapers should be changed frequently, and for the same reason."

Again thanks to all of you for your concern regarding this very specific issue.

I have contacted Mora Stylos and they also consider the issue "abnormal" even though they have handled many Nakayas before. They request I present them with the pen so as to send it back to Japan in order to remake the section from scratch.

I'm thinking about waiting until the end of August so as to wait and see if any New bubbles show up. If not, I'll still be sending the pen back.

Thanks again guys ^-^'

"handmade" would be a better term.

Handmade does not mean sloppy made.

And at the price their articles cost, Nakaya obviously has less regard towards their clients, than before.

I have a 70 year old Japanese urushi pen. After all these years, its finish is still perfect - smooth, hard, scratch-free. I carry it clipped to my T shirt; it does not need to be babied.

Exactly! Because uruhi steps where rspected, and made properly!

Edited by fountainpagan

WomenWagePeace

Handmade does not mean sloppy made.

And at the price their articles cost, Nakaya obviously has less regard towards their clients, than before.

I agree that handmade does not mean sloppy but making something by hand can lead to a sloppier less consistent product.

One thing I know, and am almost certain:

if this had happened to a pen made by a small, not that known craftsman, the indulgence would certainly not be that great, handmade pen or not.

A 70 year urushi pen keeps the road, and a some months old one is already "sick"? All the Urushi steps were not respected, that too, I am absolutely certain.

When one applies prices to an object as elevated as Nakaya does, one is expected to be flawless.

I say, the bigger the price, bigger the indulgence, the better their path is open to continue towards negligence, and... rushing!

Edited by fountainpagan

WomenWagePeace

When one applies prices to an object as elevated as Nakaya does, one is expected to be flawless.

It is fine to have expectations, but nothing and no one is flawless.

One test of character is not whether someone is capable of making a mistake, but how the mistake is handled.

gary