• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Margana

• Sailor Kenshin

• TheRealScubaSteve

• Flounder

Sailor Kenshin, maybe TWSBI can help you out with the right sized 0-ring though it shouldn't be necessary to make a modification to get good performance from a pen.

Flounder, you could be onto something. However, I can't think of a single pen manufacturer that has been granted so much leeway over things that aren't quite perfect. No doubt the quality of their customer support has granted them a higher degree of tolerance than some, but products ought to be right most of the time. Otherwise, buyers will go elsewhere.

This is likely to be my last pen purchase this year and it is frustrating to find it so problematic. Solving the spin issue would be a real improvement, but I am unlikely to purchase another TWSBI all things considered. If a pen is uncomfortable to use, it doesn't matter if it writes right. (Appearance ranks last in my book.) A fountain pen should be a joy to use. Anything less is a travesty.

I find this all fairly Twilight-Zoneish, because I had been planning since the morning to post a thread on the spinning issue. I hadn't noticed it before the nib/section replacement. Maybe the newer ones are worse in that regard?

The story has a semi-happy ending, at least for me. I swapped the new EF nib/feed into my Smoke 540, and put the OLD nib/feed/section back onto my 580. It rotates, but not nearly as much as the new one had.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

I find this all fairly Twilight-Zoneish, because I had been planning since the morning to post a thread on the spinning issue. I hadn't noticed it before the nib/section replacement. Maybe the newer ones are worse in that regard?

The story has a semi-happy ending, at least for me. I swapped the new EF nib/feed into my Smoke 540, and put the OLD nib/feed/section back onto my 580. It rotates, but not nearly as much as the new one had.

:D Doesn't that make the day more interesting? Given the retailer has run out of inventory three times in that last three months, I expect my 580 is of recent vintage. Good to figure things out. FPN members can be very helpful.

Does the new section rotate less when placed in the 540? I don't have one to test that out, but wouldn't that be odd...

A certified Inkophile

inkophile on tumblr,theinkophile on instagram,inkophile on twitter

I have two TWSBI 580 pens, and a Mini that's designed along the same lines. They all exhibit this behaviour if the pen section is not screwed down tightly enough. Which means that one of two things is happening: (1) Your nib is not screwed firmly enough into the body of the pen; or (2) There's a QC issue on your pen (for example, the rubber o-ring that's meant to sit between the metal and plastic parts of the grip section may be missing?).

You need to hold on to the metal portion of the grip section as you screw in, in order to get purchase - and yes, there *is* a danger of over-tightening, so you need to be a little careful. But a twisty-turny grip section is not a "design feature" you should be OK with, and you're right to be frustrated by it! :(

Other posters are right: this was not a problem with the 540s, because their grip section comprised a single plastic piece with grooves that 'married in' with matching notches on the underlying nib assembly. Those notches now marry up to the metal top part - which was designed (I suspect) to eliminate cracking problems - but it means that the plastic part is now only held in place if you screw whole 'nib unit' securely into the barrel.

I have two TWSBI 580 pens, and a Mini that's designed along the same lines. They all exhibit this behaviour if the pen section is not screwed down tightly enough. Which means that one of two things is happening: (1) Your nib is not screwed firmly enough into the body of the pen; or (2) There's a QC issue on your pen (for example, the rubber o-ring that's meant to sit between the metal and plastic parts of the grip section may be missing?).

*Another possibility* - if the plastic part is just marginally shorter than it should be, that would also cause this problem. Which, again, would be a QC thing.

*Another possibility* - if the plastic part is just marginally shorter than it should be, that would also cause this problem. Which, again, would be a QC thing.

That's what it seems like to me...the new plastic part is marginally shorter than the old.

Margana, the sections are not interchangeable between the 540 and the 580. The 540 is one solid piece of plastic; the 580 has that clear sleeve and a metal ring. That's why I had to swap out the nib assembly, instead of just changing sections.

I gotta say that the 'tools' that came with the new nib section were ultra-helpful in the swap.

You need to hold on to the metal portion of the grip section as you screw in, in order to get purchase - and yes, there *is* a danger of over-tightening, so you need to be a little careful. But a twisty-turny grip section is not a "design feature" you should be OK with, and you're right to be frustrated by it! :(

Other posters are right: this was not a problem with the 540s, because their grip section comprised a single plastic piece with grooves that 'married in' with matching notches on the underlying nib assembly. Those notches now marry up to the metal top part - which was designed (I suspect) to eliminate cracking problems - but it means that the plastic part is now only held in place if you screw whole 'nib unit' securely into the barrel.

Good suggestion about the o-ring. I checked and there is one where it should be. I managed to tighten it slightly though I don't know exactly how. At least it isn't spinning quite as much as when the pen came out of the box. It could come loose again, but for now it is less annoying.

That the pen arrived in imperfect condition and required so much interaction with others to produce at least a temporary solution is a QC failure. I sure hope there aren't any problems with the filler or nib when it finally gets put to work. A new pen should be a joy to use - not a problem to solve.

A certified Inkophile

That's what it seems like to me...the new plastic part is marginally shorter than the old.

Margana, the sections are not interchangeable between the 540 and the 580. The 540 is one solid piece of plastic; the 580 has that clear sleeve and a metal ring. That's why I had to swap out the nib assembly, instead of just changing sections.

I gotta say that the 'tools' that came with the new nib section were ultra-helpful in the swap.

Well, I did state upfront that I'm a TWSBI newbie. ;)

A certified Inkophile

If I had a TWSBI (once again, loudmouth caveat as above) I wouldn't do that. The feed collar is the TWSBI's Achille's butt. Screwing it in and out will put some strain on it, but less than tugging out the nib and feed while the collar is screwed into the barrel.

If you don't want the section to spin, and don't anticipate removing the nib and feed that often (with normal inks I can't see why you would need to remove the nib and feed for cleaning) I bet a little clear shellac or even light coloured section sealant would stop it shifting around. It wouldn't be super strong, but certainly stand up to rolling the pen in your fingers while you type/think.

The collar was problematic with the 530/540 because it had a small lip that had to be aligned, otherwise it stressed the plastic and caused cracks. Yes, there was issues with the plastic, but I think that for the most part a great deal of the bad rap was from user error. I can't tell you how many times I've dropped my 580 and it does not have even a scratch. I love heavily saturated inks and am slow to clean so I disassemble it often. Of all my pens, I worry the least about it.

That the pen arrived in imperfect condition and required so much interaction with others to produce at least a temporary solution is a QC failure. I sure hope there aren't any problems with the filler or nib when it finally gets put to work. A new pen should be a joy to use - not a problem to solve.

I don't disagree with you, but in this day and age I think you're dreaming. Look at all the issues people have with Montblanc out of the box. Quite a price difference between the two.

I don't disagree with you, but in this day and age I think you're dreaming. Look at all the issues people have with Montblanc out of the box. Quite a price difference between the two.

Heh. So it's "you pays your money, you takes your chances"?

I'm not a newbie with pens though with certainty I am not handy at repairs. I might eventually work through a pen's issues, but not everyone is either willing to or has the experience to figure things out. Look how much help I had to get from FPNers to get through one problem. It is far better for the hobby that pens work well out of the box especially the low end ones that get people into the game.

Whatever TWSBI is doing right, a barrel and nib unit that spins seems more like a design flaw than a design feature. Now that I have more understanding of how the pen is put together, it's safe to say it would have been better if the unit was properly tightened before shipment. That's QC at the manufacturing level. Have you had any issues like that with your TWSBI pens?

IMO cost should not affect whether a pen functions or not, even in an imperfect world. The only thing I find impressive about modern Montblancs is the price tag. Now vintage MBs are a whole different subject. :)

A certified Inkophile

Well, I did state upfront that I'm a TWSBI newbie. ;)

OT, but I liked your blog and what you did with the checkbook!

I have a mini and the section does not spin. For whatever that's worth.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

<Text deleted. Jamerelbe gave the answer I wanted to.>

Just a reminder: If you - cough, cough - should overtighten the section, or hold the nib when turning, the black plastic collar for the feed may snap.

(Thank you to TWSBI for sending me a free new collar within one week from Taiwan to Norway!)

Edited by chrisoslo

<Text deleted. Jamerelbe gave the answer I wanted to.>

Just a reminder: If you - cough, cough - should overtighten the section, or hold the nib when turning, the black plastic collar for the feed may snap.

(Thank you to TWSBI for sending me a free new collar within one week from Taiwan to Norway!)

Whew. At least I didn't kill the little beastie.

A certified Inkophile

OT, but I liked your blog and what you did with the checkbook!

Thank you. That checkbook cover was the perfect size for the Levenger notebook. Lucky discovery on that one.

A certified Inkophile

I have a mini and the section does not spin. For whatever that's worth.

That's good. Lots of people like the mini so maybe it is less problematic than some of the other models.

A certified Inkophile

The collar was problematic with the 530/540 because it had a small lip that had to be aligned, otherwise it stressed the plastic and caused cracks. Yes, there was issues with the plastic, but I think that for the most part a great deal of the bad rap was from user error. I can't tell you how many times I've dropped my 580 and it does not have even a scratch. I love heavily saturated inks and am slow to clean so I disassemble it often. Of all my pens, I worry the least about it.

The fragile part I was referring to is the black threaded collar/sleeve that immediately surrounds the feed - the piece that Chrisoslo broke, and present in the 530,540, 580, classic, mini etc.

Edited by Flounder

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

Heh. So it's "you pays your money, you takes your chances"?

I'm not a newbie with pens though with certainty I am not handy at repairs. I might eventually work through a pen's issues, but not everyone is either willing to or has the experience to figure things out. Look how much help I had to get from FPNers to get through one problem. It is far better for the hobby that pens work well out of the box especially the low end ones that get people into the game.

Whatever TWSBI is doing right, a barrel and nib unit that spins seems more like a design flaw than a design feature. Now that I have more understanding of how the pen is put together, it's safe to say it would have been better if the unit was properly tightened before shipment. That's QC at the manufacturing level. Have you had any issues like that with your TWSBI pens?

IMO cost should not affect whether a pen functions or not, even in an imperfect world. The only thing I find impressive about modern Montblancs is the price tag. Now vintage MBs are a whole different subject. :)

I've not had any issues with any of my TWSBIs. They functioned perfect out of the box, fortunately. I do correlate price to function, though. If I buy two pens for $50 (TWSBI) and $500+ (MB, Pelikan, etc., etc.) I would certainly expect the higher priced (that gets preached as better quality) to be better in craftsmanship. At any rate, I hope you enjoy how the TWSBI writes even with the disappointment about the section!

I've not had any issues with any of my TWSBIs. They functioned perfect out of the box, fortunately. I do correlate price to function, though. If I buy two pens for $50 (TWSBI) and $500+ (MB, Pelikan, etc., etc.) I would certainly expect the higher priced (that gets preached as better quality) to be better in craftsmanship. At any rate, I hope you enjoy how the TWSBI writes even with the disappointment about the section!

I don't think we are in disagreement. Quality comes at a price. However, functionality should come with every pen regardless of price. A $55 pen should work well out of the box just as a $500 pen should. I would hold any company to that standard.

It's good that your pens have had no issues. Hopefully, mine won't in future. :)

A certified Inkophile