Ink Review: J Herbin 1670 Anniversary Ink: Emerald Of Chivor

Chrissy

I have been fortunate enough to receive a bottle of J Herbin 1670 Emerald of Chivor to review. It's my understanding that it's due to be released in August.

So I'm going to write with it over several days and post my experiences on this thread.

I have filled my Pilot Custom 74 M nib with it so far, so this is the pen I'm using today. However, I can easily change that M nib to a F one from my CH92, so I plan to do that as a comparison. Then I will use a different pen and nib type.

First things first, this ink oozes quality. It feels beautifully smooth and lubricated from the pen. It is very saturated and shows lots of different shading, as well as it's sheen. In my opinion it isn't what I would call an emerald colour, as I think of emeralds as a vibrant green. This ink is teal blue-green. When I started writing with it I thought I must compare the colour to that of Sailor Yama-dori, so that's something I will add over the course of the next few days.

I've now edited this to include a short comparison with sailor Yama-dori, plus I've attempted to show the fabulous sheen.

fpn_1437642266__j_herbin_emerald_of_chivfpn_1437642339__j_herbin_emerald_of_chiv

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chrissy

• bureaudirect

• tinkerteacher

• fly_us

Great,I'll be folowing your discovery of this ink. Most curious for your comparison with yama-dori. Maybe compare it to iroshizuku ku-jaku as well?

And I'd also like to see some stub writing.

By the way:haven't see any gold sparkling yet...

247254751_TSUKI-Yo_emptycompressedverkleind.gif.bfc6147ec85572db950933e0fa1b6100.gif

Thanks for this review.

Egarily waiting the rest of it with bated breath, the photos especially. Given the two-tone, dye red and metallic yellow sheen, this one ink that I wouldn't think would scan well.

That heavy two-tone sheen is what makes this ink special. Combined with the native colour of the ink itself, you get red, yellow, green/blue. Rainbow in a bottle ink.

Semper Faciens, Semper Discens

Great,I'll be folowing your discovery of this ink. Most curious for your comparison with yama-dori. Maybe compare it to iroshizuku ku-jaku as well?

And I'd also like to see some stub writing.

By the way:haven't see any gold sparkling yet...

Sadly, the gold sparkling doesn't show on the scans. Nor does the red. I will take photos to see if they show it.

I have emptied and cleaned out a cartridge, and filled it so that I can use it in my Kaweco Sport that has a 1.1 nib. I'll do that tomorrow.

Today is the Wimbledon Mens final.....

Thanks for this review.

Egarily waiting the rest of it with bated breath, the photos especially. Given the two-tone, dye red and metallic yellow sheen, this one ink that I wouldn't think would scan well.

That heavy two-tone sheen is what makes this ink special. Combined with the native colour of the ink itself, you get red, yellow, green/blue. Rainbow in a bottle ink.

You are correct. The red dye and metallic metal sheen don't scan well. The rainbow effect is a good analogy. Thanks. :)

It's looked a lot like Yamadori, which is my love for now. Looking for side by side comparison with it.

That was exactly my thought...here are few comparisons

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/292914-j-herbin-1670-anniversary-emerald-of-chivor-ink/page-2

Mishka

bureaudirect the home of quality stationery
www.bureaudirect.co.uk
@bureaudirect

I have now added additional notes for Emerald of Chivor and taken some photos to show it's lovely sheen. Enjoy!

fpn_1437642266__j_herbin_emerald_of_chivfpn_1437642339__j_herbin_emerald_of_chiv

fpn_1437642575__j_herbin_emerald_of_chivfpn_1437642385__j_herbin_emerald_of_chivfpn_1437642541__j_herbin_emerald_of_chivfpn_1437642471__j_herbin_emerald_of_chiv

• 3 weeks later...

Yama Dori on Tomoe River paper? Impossible to photograph - covered in heavy sheen. Love it :)

Mishka

I agree that it is a great combination. :)

• 1 month later...