The Super Duper Co-Razy Parker Penman Sapphire - Blue - Comparisons Psp

amberleadavis

Hi everyone,

I posted a similar message in the FPS#9 thread, but thought I should speak up here also. I wanted to say THANK YOU to amberleadavis, dcwaites and everyone else who contributed to this effort. I was so intrigued by these threads that I just ordered the ink components to mix up both FPS#9 and NIS. I've never tried mixing inks before so this will be a new experience. I truly appreciate everyone's contributions and the spirit of cooperative information sharing on this forum. Thanks again.

Kindest Regards,
BK
Edited by Big_Kahuna

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• dcwaites

• Tas

• Luma

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

BK - we would love to see your results. I have found that these sorts of mix and matches are a lot of fun. Originally, I thought this would be a great chance to show how all sorts of blues compared to a single well known ink. The project morphed, in part because PPS is itself quite different depending on paper and pen. I think you will have lots of fun playing around.

My personal recommendation for a blue that is a decent replacement, fairly easy to clean and easily findable is Private Reserve American Blue. Of course, even though I say that, I tend to use obnoxiously oversaturated not easy to clean inks.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I, on the other hand, like inks that can be diluted with ridiculous amounts of water and still look spiffingly intense.

Edited by dcwaites

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

• 5 months later...

I, on the other hand, like inks that can be diluted with ridiculous amounts of water and still look spiffingly intense.

Should i assume that whenever diluting ink is mentioned it's best to use distilled water?

Edited by Inkroyable

the Cat did it

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

Not necessarily. I like distilled water because I wouldn't drink the local tap work, let alone add it to my ink. The Las Vegas water has a lot of minerals and pesticides and probably some nuclear waste, but it meets all state and federal guidelines. I have found that Purified water and distilled water are the easiest for adding to my inks. Spring water or bottled water has no federal guidelines and the bottling company may add magnesium potassium (which your ink does not need. HOWEVER, when I'm testing a new ink concentrate, I always start by adding tap water. I want to know if the ink is going to withstand mold. I've also been known to boil the water because the dyes mix easier.

Never mind the usual pinch of uranium, touch of copper and dash of lead. The community’s drinking water remains as clean as it needs to be under federal safety regulations, according to an annual report released Monday by Las Vegas Valley Water District. Though local tap water does contain trace amounts of some heavy metals, radioactive minerals and other regulated contaminants, it meets or exceeds all state and federal standards for safe drinking water. https://www.reviewjournal.com/local/local-las-vegas/report-las-vegas-drinking-water-safe-even-with-that-pinch-of-uranium/

Between 1951 and 92 there were 1,021 nuclear detonations at the Nevada Test Site, 65 miles from Vegas. 921 of the detonations were underground, some as deep as 5,000 feet. A large chamber was formed by the detonations, leaving a cavity filled with radioactive rubble. About a third of the tests were conducted directly in aquifers, and others were hundreds of thousands of feet below the water table. When testing ended in 1992, the Dept. of Energy estimated that more than 300 million curies of radiation remained in the environment at that time, making the site one of the most radioactively contaminated locations in the U.S. In the worst-affected zones, the concentration of radioactivity in affected groundwater reaches millions of picocuries per liter. (The federal standard for drinking water is 20 picocuries per liter.) Although radiation levels in the water continue to decline over time, the longer-lived isotopes could pose risks to workers or future settlers on the NNSS for tens of thousands of years. See also:https://pubs.usgs.gov/circ/circ1170/nvbr.book.pdf and https://lasvegassun.com/news/2016/mar/21/whats-in-our-water/

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Not necessarily. I like distilled water because I wouldn't drink the local tap work, let alone add it to my ink. The Las Vegas water has a lot of minerals and pesticides and probably some nuclear waste, but it meets all state and federal guidelines. I have found that Purified water and distilled water are the easiest for adding to my inks. Spring water or bottled water has no federal guidelines and the bottling company may add magnesium potassium (which your ink does not need. HOWEVER, when I'm testing a new ink concentrate, I always start by adding tap water. I want to know if the ink is going to withstand mold. I've also been known to boil the water because the dyes mix easier.

Thank-you Amber Lea,

That was exactly what i needed to know about water for diluting ink. If you use Vegas tap water does it give your ink a flourescent green shimmering glow? ;-)

Appreciated your heads up about the tap water there as i can caution my son's wife to get distilled or purified instead when she is there on business.

If i may trouble you regarding an issue i have been having on FPN? The last two days i can no longer attach pictures from my iPad to posts like this. A pink error bar saying, "Upload Failed" always appears right afterwards. Is there a maximum total capacity accumulated file sizes i may now have reached?

Sincere gratitude,

Edited by Inkroyable

the Cat did it

Glad to help. :) When your DIL comes on business, have her drop by with some pens and we can ink 'em up!

I also reported the uploading issue.

Glad to help. :) When your DIL comes on business, have her drop by with some pens and we can ink 'em up!

I also reported the uploading issue.

Thank-you for your generous offer to my DIL. Recently i gave her a Jinhao 992 (nice copy of a Sailor Pro Color 500) with a beautifully smooth F steel nib. Waiting for feedback from her to learn if i got her "hooked" ;-)

I gave my son a couple of nice Chinese pens about ten years ago. Since then he has added several more including a charcoal Lamy Safari, an original NOS black and gold Parker 45 and a very nice Pelikan. We are looking forward to attending the Toronto Scriptus pen show together at the end of October. I guess that makes me an enabler LOL.

Appreciate you reporting my image uploading problem too.

All the best,

Edited by Inkroyable

the Cat did it

Speaking of water that glows in the dark, when I lived in Los Alamos, there was a headline in the Monitor about the water, "Arsenic- How Much Is Too Much?" It was probably the least of the water problems.

I now dilute with Lake Michigan tap water, and think I should switch to distilled.

@InkRoyable

The problem seems to be that ipads/iphones want you to use the mobile version of the website. Which means that you can't use the standard links, only the attachment feature. The attachments have limited space the uploads are unlimited. Hopefully the next version of the forum software will address the issue, but until then I can't fix it. I'm sorry.

The problem seems to be that ipads/iphones want you to use the mobile version of the website. Which means that you can't use the standard links, only the attachment feature. The attachments have limited space the uploads are unlimited. Hopefully the next version of the forum software will address the issue, but until then I can't fix it. I'm sorry.

No problem Amber Lea,

I will try uploading from a laptop and see how that goes.

Regards,

the Cat did it

• 2 weeks later...

@InkRoyable

The problem seems to be that ipads/iphones want you to use the mobile version of the website. Which means that you can't use the standard links, only the attachment feature. The attachments have limited space the uploads are unlimited.

I was able to upload images without any problem from our laptop. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

the Cat did it

Glad to hear you got the problem solved!

• 4 years later...

Getting back to the Penman Sapphire topic I thought you might be interested in seeing the original instruction sheet and box:

990573884_PPSInstructions1.thumb.jpg.0c897c95ea4ea33f30a3d09048452ef0.jpg

(click in the picture for a slightly larger version)

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

12 minutes ago, OCArt said:

Getting back to the Penman Sapphire topic I thought you might be interested in seeing the original instruction sheet and box:

990573884_PPSInstructions1.thumb.jpg.0c897c95ea4ea33f30a3d09048452ef0.jpg

(click in the picture for a slightly larger version)

That is DARN cool.

• 5 months later...

Is this comparison still active? I'm going to be getting myself a bottle of Scribe Indigo soon and would like to contribute :)

Wow! thanks for bringing it back! Look forward to your contribution.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

8 hours ago, MissCellany said:

Is this comparison still active? I'm going to be getting myself a bottle of Scribe Indigo soon and would like to contribute :)

I haven't inked up a pen with PPS in a long time.  Next time I get around to it, I'll try and send you a few sheets for you to do some comparisons.

• 3 months later...

I'm posting my work in this area as I've just returned to FPN after a number of years. The blue I used exclusively in my modern Duofolds up until about a year ago was Penman Sapphire as that's what I bought when I bought my first modern Duofold in the mid-1990s. When the ink was discontinued, I bought everything I could find locally. Then about a year ago I was about to run out. So my quest continued to find a replacement.

I compared a lot of ink colors online, which can be fraught with peril as electronic color replication has a lot of variables. But with that as a caveat, I ended up with these five finalists:

The_five_finalists.jpg?width=960&height=

None of these were quite right, which may be hard seeing in the photo above because of the electronic color duplication thing. The reason that Private Reserve American Blue and Private Reserve DC Supershow Blue were included is because they're the same ink! I didn't realize that at the time but since came to learn that. Anyway, so I needed to experiment with blending to see if I could come up with a match.

In the end, I found a match. The winner is 50% Monteverde Horizon Blue blended with 50% Monteverde Sapphire. As I recall, the Sapphire by itself has too much red in it, taking it more into the purple hue area. This got balanced out well with the Horizon Blue. See below.

The_winner.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=

Now I've just come to learn about the Scribe inks. I should have a bottle of Scribe Indigo within the next day or two and will compare it to the Monteverde blend to see how it compares.  More to come....

Thanks for the report, that is an interesting and feasible ink combination, and if it matches PSP, it is a great find.

I suppose it will also be better behaved?

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.