Identify Please: Pelikan M600 Souverän In Mother Of Pearl

joss

Can anyone identify this Pelikan M600 Souverän please.

The barrel is dark mother of pearl with red striations (clearly not a brown tortoise). The dimensions of the pen are M600 and the nib is 14C-585.

The cap is black. Cap dome is gold coloured (not black) and the top of the cap dome has a beige medaillon with a shiny gold coloured Pelikan logo: this is > 2010 according to what I find on www.rothemel.de or www.thepelikansperch.com.

I however do not see this model listed on these websites.

fpn_1436541732__03_sm.jpg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• joss

• dnic

• sargetalon

• Nyanzilla

This is most likely a custom made bind. There are a number of different guys that do this type of custom bind work. Typically, I have seen these custom binds on M8XX's.

Were did you find it?

It is a really nice looking pen!

Fair winds and following seas.

I can identify it, it's my long lost custom binde Pelikan, I lost it somewhere in ....Belgium I think!

Kidding, a really beautiful pen, world love to have such a specimen.

I have come across this pen from time to time. I do not believe that it was ever an official run out of Pelikan or even a 3rd party binde. My understanding is that it has never been definitively explained but, from what I remember, someone once posited that it was one of a few pieces that were run off the line, either by workers unofficially or as a prototype piece. No formal run but they somehow got into the wild. Of course, I can't find where I originally read that info so my memory may be deceiving me. You see one pop up once or twice a year. They are certainly Pelikan but more like prototype pieces. Still a very pretty pen.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

I wished Pelikan would make such patterns in to-day's pens.

I like the classic striped models, but there are so many more possibilities of making a striped or marbeled barrel.

"On the internet nobody knows you're a cat." =^.^=

I've certainly seen the older tortoise pattern in the M600 size (held one but couldn't afford it at the LAPS two years back), but this is the newer M101N tortoise style binde in the M600 size.

Intriguing. <arched eyebrows>

I would tend to concur with Sargetalon about this - it's entirely consistent with what are called by Rick Propas, "lunch time specials", especially given the extremely close (exact ?) match to the M101N tortoise binde materials. The black blind cap and top cap, however, are a bit puzzling. I wonder if this was a "proof of concept" item where it was made and then didn't go out the appropriate channels ? Truth be told, I find the black colour quite complementary to the binde colours.

Whatever the source, it's a rather wonderful pen, and I'd immensely enjoy using it if it were in my hands.

Perhaps Pelikan will heed this thread ???

John P.

Edited by PJohnP

I have no idea where it came from...but Oh My Gosh is that gorgeous!!!

God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now I am so far behind, I will never die.

-Bill Waterson

I've seen 3 or 4 of these online. One sold on eBay in the last year. And it had a different shaped crown nut on top, kind of like the Tiffany version Pelikan pens... However they were made, I do think they originated from Pelikan's factory.

There have been one or two threads here on FPN about these. I agree they use the M101N brown tortoise material.

Edited by risingsun

Sun%20Hemmi2.jpg

Thank you all for your responses.

Unfortunately, I do not have a modern M101N tortoise to compare this pen. I compared it with the vintage (1950s) tortoise 101N but that is definitely a different colour.

The colour of the pen is a remarkably vibrant mother of pearl. It is difficult to catch it in a picture but I tried to show it a bit better in the below photos.

fpn_1436785212__06.jpg

fpn_1436785245__07.jpg

fpn_1436785317__08.jpg

Edited by joris

The colours do look like that on my m101n brown tortoise.

Beautiful pen.

I agree.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

• 2 weeks later...

From the pictures that I found on the web, the colour of this M600 appears to be identical indeed to that of the M101N Tortoise with the brown piston knob (Special Edition, 2011).

Thank you all for your responses.

Edited by joss

Have a look at the piston knob and compare it with a regular M600.

You´ll see that your piston knob is thicker (from M800).

I´m not sure from your pics, but possible, that the cap crown is glued on top of a too small clip ring.

The pen is made from Pelikan parts (M101N tortoise for the binde) and put together. Not a regular pen or prototype from the factory.

But indeed a really nice one.

The pen isn´t translucent, so you can´t see the ink level (a NoGo for a Pelikan pen).[/img]

The upcoming M800 Burnt Orange may be an exception to that.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Have a look at the piston knob and compare it with a regular M600.

You´ll see that your piston knob is thicker (from M800).

I´m not sure from your pics, but possible, that the cap crown is glued on top of a too small clip ring.

The pen is made from Pelikan parts (M101N tortoise for the binde) and put together. Not a regular pen or prototype from the factory.

But indeed a really nice one.

Thank you for your comments. I did not ink the pen but when I hold it against a light source, I clearly see through the barrel so there is translucency.

It is definitely possible that the pen is made from different Pelikan parts but I am intrigued by your suggestion that the binde may originate from a M101N tortoise. The binde on my pen is 0.248" (63,0 mm) long and 0.49" (12,5 mm) wide. Is that the dimension of a M101N binde?

Finally: your pictures suggest that you have a similar pen or is that the pen that I recently bought?

Hi joss,

that´s interesting, mine isn't really translucent (if I have a strong light behind the pen I can see the ink level, but normally not).

The binde isn't in size of the M101N, but I think it´s the same material. The binde over the barrel is manufactured from slides.

I have that pen, too. I write with this pen, because it has a good feel of the surface and that´s for me not a pen for my collection. That´s why I use that pen and I won't sell it.