Okay, so I scored a lot of 6 pens from fleabay and I'm curious about them as I can't find much info. (Okay, there is some info for the Permapoint, but not much for the rest.) :D

In the lot, there was a black Eversharp Permapoint with what says is a Iridium tipped M nib, but it writes F to me. Nice pen!

There was a small Onward that looks identical to the Permapoint, but has an Onward nib. (needs sac)

There is a beautiful E.F. (Eberhard Faber) red and black lever filler (needs a sack) and then...

...3 AMERICAN button fillers- two green and a red of same model. These are the most mysterious of the bunch to me. I'm thinking they are David Khan pens? Maybe a sub, sub brand of Wearever? The two green ones work fine. The red one appears to have a stuck button as I soaked it in water for 4 days and the button still doesn't move. I don't know how to get water into the barrel to let the cork soak.

What are these pens/models?

What are they made of??

Age if anyone can tell?

Are the nibs decent: (The American nibs are super smooth, but not much flex. The others are more flexible and nice writers nib wise.)

I've not pulled any of the nibs, but they are all gold tones and don't appear to have silver coloring anywhere, but non are marked one way or the other. The E. F. nib has a star in a diamond on it.

Any and all information and help would be appreciated. They were cheap, so the fact that 3 write straight away is awesome!

So, what's your point?

(Mine is a flexible F.)

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TXKat

• RMN

• rwilsonedn

• KBeezie

Note, the white spot on the E.F. came of with a couple flicks of the finger. None of these have been polished or cleaned yet.

So, what's your point?

(Mine is a flexible F.)

American might be an Italian brand! They used to come up with foreign sounding names like that!

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

The green one has Made in USA on the cap.

I'll look in to that! Thanks D.ick

So, what's your point?

(Mine is a flexible F.)

"The red one appears to have a stuck button as I soaked it in water for 4 days and the button still doesn't move. I don't know how to get water into the barrel to let the cork soak."

There shouldn't be any cork in a button-filler. And the last thing you want in the barrel of a button-filler is water. The mechanism is like a lever-filler, except that the button pushes the pressure bar into the side of the sac, compressing it. If you get water in there, it is likely to rust the pressure bar, corrode the button mechanism, and otherwise cause havoc. The probable reason the button won't move is that the sac has hardened. The pen needs to be disassembled and to receive a good cleaning and a new sac. The other two similar pens probably will need the same treatment eventually, if they don't already.

ron

American might be an Italian brand! They used to come up with foreign sounding names like that!

D.ick

The green one has Made in USA on the cap.

I'll look in to that! Thanks D.ick

I checked. American is not an Italian brand, although they did have several names that make you think they are US or UK.

American is just what it says, an American brand.

Alas I guess that researching this using our search will not work, just too many uses of American .....

I suggest looking under the Regional Forums for the US forum.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

I've found something that suggests American might have been a David Khan (I keep unknowingly acquiring this guys pens) brand. Somewhere else I found info on the American Pen Co. from Boston, but nothing shows a pen or even describes these pens so i could identify for sure. Still another mentions American becoming Moore...I should just sell the dumb thing, lol!

The nibs are gold plated and say AMERICAN, Made in USA with a big 6 inside a circle.

How do I keep ending up with the lesser tier pens. Boy!!

So, what's your point?

(Mine is a flexible F.)

It was rhetorical, lol....

I have another I purchased quite some time ago and because it's such a good pen, I got more...but the information on them is still almost non-existent.

So, what's your point?

(Mine is a flexible F.)

That's the thing about no-names. You may have to kiss a lot of frogs, but every once in a while you find a prince.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

That's the thing about no-names. You may have to kiss a lot of frogs, but every once in a while you find a prince.

Or you discover that frogs aren't so bad, and can be a lot of fun at parties ...

ron

• 2 weeks later...

...moving to part two since part one was an unanswerable question (American Pens). Sorry. :)

Part 2

In the lot of what I have now discovered is 3 American and 3 Eberhard Fabers, there are 2 Permapoint pens. (The black and yellow above.)

They are different sizes...

1= 5" capped
Iridium Tipped, Made in U.S.A. Medium on the nib

1=4 9/16" capped.

Onward (??) nib here that doesn't play nice with the feed. (Nib doesn't stay down against feed.)

What was the original nib for these and were they using the same nib? I can't find anything for reference and I need to get a proper nib for the little one.

Thanks in advance for ANY help! :)

So, what's your point?

(Mine is a flexible F.)