Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

camd

I've moved to the beautiful capital of British Columbia, and I'm looking for pen resources here. If anyone has suggestions or recommendations for shops or services related to pens in Victoria, I'd love to hear about them!

Cameron

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EBUCKTHORN

• camd

• frogbaby

• robert1962

I realize you only posted a few days ago but I'm about to briefly visit Victoria. You've had no responses but have you turned up anything on your own? How about Seattle in case you [or any other forumite] has also searched there? I have shopped at the long time downtown Seattle pen store but have forgotten its name.

Thank you.

Hello! Simply the Best (downtown) carries some fountain pens. I stopped by in May so I can't quite remember which brands Lamy, Visconti, maybe some others? It's mostly a fancy menswear/accessories store rather than a place actually focussed on pens. My experience as a customer was mostly being totally ignored, but maybe you'll see have better luck.

tinysnail- thanks for responding. As I've aged (73 now) I've gained the attribute of being ignored in fancy stores and even some bars. I make a point of patronizing those that are courteous. There are so many places online (specialty pens stores in particular, including Peyton Street, Anderson, Bert Oser, Goulet etc.) that there's no need to deal with any vendor that doesn't take us seriously. It's a tough row for b & m stores to hoe and providing marginal service to potential customers is suicidal. Didn't mean this to be a rant and I do appreciate your telling me a store that I can ignore.

I realize you only posted a few days ago but I'm about to briefly visit Victoria. You've had no responses but have you turned up anything on your own?

Thank you.

I haven't found anything, and I don't expect to. It seems pen stores are limited to major U.S. cities in my experience. But it was worth asking.

In the Market Watch forum there is a pinned topic to a Pen Shop Directory tool. It turns up several shops which appear to be in Vancouver. The map shows Vancouver but the address says San Francisco.

I think there is a blog called Glenns Pens which originates out of Vancouver and is to some extent dedicated to locating pen shops.

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

• 4 weeks later...

Cameron,

A beautiful walking City. Saw the Opera there last winter. Did some pen hunting, but struck out, so switched to eating.

I believe there is a Vancouver Pen club. Also, if its not too far, I know there is a nice buch of folks who meet here, in Seattle.

Bob

Shouldn't phonics be spelled with an f?

We visited Victoria last month and condensed a long visit to the amazing Butchart Gardens and a lot of walking and city bus riding into two and a half days. Found some excellent beer and two good places in which to drink it, plus two very good REAL bookstores. Only pens I saw were at an unsavory military antique store and an art supply store that had a minimal selection. Brewpubs and bookstores I can recommend, but nothing for pens.

Please tell me what you know about Seattle pen scene as we visit our daughters and families twice yearly. I have shopped at the old time downtown pen store (see previous post) and liked it. This time we discovered The Lost Quill on Bainbridge Island where we signed our granddaughter up for initial calligraphy lessons. had a delightful chat with the woman who owns it and, if i recall, she had a few pens for sale. <http://www.thelostquill.com/> The shop is open short hours and is difficult to locate but, if my visit is indicative, it's worth the effort (assuming you are on Bainbridge or want to take the ferry there for a day trip).

Only pens I saw were at an unsavory military antique store

Please tell me what you know about Seattle pen scene as we visit our daughters and families twice yearly. I have shopped at the old time downtown pen store (see previous post) and liked it. This time we discovered The Lost Quill on Bainbridge Island where we signed our granddaughter up for initial calligraphy lessons. had a delightful chat with the woman who owns it and, if i recall, she had a few pens for sale. <http://www.thelostquill.com/> The shop is open short hours and is difficult to locate but, if my visit is indicative, it's worth the effort (assuming you are on Bainbridge or want to take the ferry there for a day trip).

I visited that same store and probably saw the same couple of pens. I measure savoriness by how long my wife lets me look. We were in and out pretty quick.

I don't collect new (post 1960ish) pens, so I don't frequent any local pen retailers. As for vintage, the malls and shops are disappearing and the ones that are left have fewer "finds". I really can't think of a place where one can know they will find some goodies in this town. There is a decent mall/auction house a couple of miles south of downtown named Pacific Galleries. You may get lucky. Maybe you can make one of the Seattle Pen Club meetings. They meet a bit north of Seattle on the 3rd Saturday of most months. I have enjoyed my infrequent visits (Saturdays are tuff for me).

You have me in the mood for a quick run to Bainbridge and a weekend in B.C.

Good hunting - Bob

Shouldn't phonics be spelled with an f?

Only the Best has many, many interesting pens tucked away and the owner knows a lot about fountain pens.

He carries and likes the Italian pens especially but also has plenty of Lamy and many Safari and Al-Stars.

He is a throwback to the old days. he is the only guy who works there, it is his shop and he says and does exactly what he pleases.

He is highly opinionated about pens but as I say, knows his stuff and has a lot of stock and access to lots more.

I have been looking at the Omas Arco Ogiva and he said he would match Chatterley's price (it is still too pricey for me with our loonie in the tank) in Canadian dollars.

His shop is worth a visit. He really loves pens.

Only the Best has many, many interesting pens tucked away and the owner knows a lot about fountain pens.

What is "Only the Best"? I googled it and nothing came up.

camd & Robert1962: We were going to try Only the Best (or whatever its name is) but it somehow got lost in the flurry of other activities. Thanks or the info. on the Seattle Pen Club. We get out there twice a year but maybe...

What is "Only the Best"? I googled it and nothing came up.

That's because I messed the name up :headsmack:

It's Simply the Best.

• 7 months later...

Sorry if I am a little late on this. I live in Victoria, although soon to move out (hurrah!!!). There is, as mentioned, Simply The Best on Broad St (South of the Bay Centre) but his prices can be a little, er, eccentric. On the positive side, he will sell you a lamy Safari or Al-Star at the RRP/MSRP with a convertor and whatever nib you want. On Fort St/Blanshard (past Russell's Books (along with Munro's books, a must-visit) there is Monk's Office and they sell Cross, Pilot Metropolitans and some Parker and Waterman (but don't get excited). Opus and Island Blue have small stocks - Lamy Safari/Al Star and some lower end Faber Castells, but they don't really know about their stock. Island Blue do sell Herbin inks, though, and nice papers. Back near Broad St, on Fort (where Monks and Island Blue also lie) there is also the Papery and they might have the odd Pilot or Shearer, but it is mostly papers.

Beyond Island Blue on Fort there are a few antique markets. I have picked up the odd Parker 45 and even a Duofold that needed restoring. But that is about it.

UVic (University of Victoria) sells Rhoda nd Clairefontaine papers cheaper than anywhere else in town, the best deals for notebooks being in Zap in the Student Union building. Both Zap and the bookstore are near to UVic's bus loop and many buses (4, 14, 15 to name a few) go there from downtown. An all-day ticket is only $5 and you can go from downtown to Oak Bay marina and see the fishermen feed the otters and seals (much nicer than at fishermen's wharf in my opinion and better cafes too).

UVic (University of Victoria) sells Rhoda nd Clairefontaine papers cheaper than anywhere else in town, the best deals for notebooks being in Zap in the Student Union building.

Thanks for the tip on Zap. I haven't heard of it, but I'll check it out!

• 1 month later...

You guys are always so helpful and full of good information :)

am in Kelowna, BC and the only place I found that sells fountAin pens is Opus Art Supplies. They carry Lamy pens, and have the Kaweco sport in black and mint. They have four colours of fountain pen ink.

We don't have a pen store or a stationery store here, I have googled every variation or possible store imaginable and have come up with nothing, so if anyone can help me, I would appreciate it. :)

Shauna

flying-letter-exc.png

If you cross over to Vancouver you can find several stores Downtown including Vancouver Pen.

Check out a site called Glenn's Pens he is from B.C. and has a useful list of stores, however, it isn't always current.

• 5 years later...

Wow, old thread. Anyway, a great piece of news for Victorian fountain penners (in the Geographical rather than Chronological sense) is that The Papery on Fort Street, opposite Russell Books, has a nicely growing range of pens and inks and paper. Mostly MRSP, but it's great to have the resource there. Worth checking out!

Ralf